Grounds

Mills

Schmeltz

Smith

Wes

Montano

Rooney

MacDonald

Feel a bit for Dayton as he's done well but Schmeltz and Montano have earned their places. I'd give Rooney the chance alongside MacDonald to prove how effective they can both be, but if Rooney doesn't perform in this game I'd give another pairing a go for a few games.

There are no must win games at this stage of the season, but this is the 1st time this season that I expect us to win.

12-3 home win.

Latics concede 3 penalties in 20 minutes 1st half, the third of which Oxley is given a straight red for a two-footed studs-up challenge. Rooney silences his critics with a brace, whilst JCH runs amok with a 7 goal haul. Tarkowski hatrick. Dayton has two goals disallowed for apparantly no genuine reason, whilst Sidney is ruled offside for every single through-ball Korey Smith plays. LDJ sobs uncontrollably at the full time whistle, held tightly in the comforting arms of Billy Quarmby.

:applause1:

Forgot to mention that Lanzoni goes in goal after the Oxley red card. LDJ still refusing to play Rachubka, despite him being on the bench.

Lanzoni goes on to unanimously win MotM, after saving a last minute direct 30 yard freekick from the edge of the area with a stunning scorpion kick.

The final whistle blows with him still in mid-air.

Saw MacDonald in Sheffield station on saturday. I was going to leave him alone as he looked pissed off at not playing, but he saw my sons Latics jacket and started talking to us. He was pretty pissed off, but he was also rather pragmatic and seemed a decent chap. I would bring him on in the 2nd half, purely because I wouldnt want to make three changes to the team.

I'd give this a go. The problem is away from home peopel would accept it.

At home people would say "its one up front" - but I'd play it as 3 up front.

Oxley

kusunga

tarky

grounds

lanzoni

smith

wes

mills

schmeltz

JCH

Montano

Rachubka

Lanzoni Kusunga Tarkovski Mills

Schmeltz Smith Montano

Dayton

Rooney MacDonald

Id like to see this with Dayton and the wingers being very interchangeable, would baffle the oppo, and not what they would expect. What i think we will actually see tho is Rodgers being drafted in next to Korey and Grounds at CB

Dayton was excellent in the 2nd half at Preston when he played through the middle, unfortunately I think you'd have the same problem playing him from the start we had with Baxter, not being strong and disciplined enough to play in a midfield 2 but leaves Rooney/striker up top too isolated if he plays in the hole of a 4-4-1-1.

Smith and Wes to win the midfield battle with 2 tricky wingers and 2 out-and-out strikers gives us what we need to start with, Dayton can be used in the last 25 to unlock their defence if needed.

Why are most people favouring Schmeltz over Dayton?

Dayton is the far classier player, Schmeltz does a couple of step-overs and flicks which seems to fool most people about his generally average play.

The wingers have to be Montano and Dayton switching sides.

If Dayton plays then he should play on the left. He always wants to cut back onto his left when played on the right, and it does look good when it works like against Vale but most of the time it results in slowing down the play/losing the ball.

Rachubka

Lanzoni Tarky Kusunga Mills/Grounds

Schmeltz Smith Rodgers/Wes Montano

Philliskirk Macdonald

Oxley(just)

Mills

Grounds

Tarky

Lanzoni

Smeltz

Wes

Smith

Montano

Rooney(persevere his record speaks for itself)

Macdonald

I wanted to say Philiskirk but he drops very deep. We need someone on the shoulder ideally with pace. Charlie doesn't have much but his experience will be key to help get us back and running.

Oxley

Lanzoni

Tarky

Grounds

Mills

Schmeltz

Smith

Wes

Montano

Rooney

MacDonald

Feel a bit for Dayton as he's done well but Schmeltz and Montano have earned their places. I'd give Rooney the chance alongside MacDonald to prove how effective they can both be, but if Rooney doesn't perform in this game I'd give another pairing a go for a few games.

There are no must win games at this stage of the season, but this is the 1st time this season that I expect us to win.

Why? Hes looked average, sets off looking dangerous, then doesnt produce a right lot. Dayton above him for me.