The Sidney Schmeltz guessing game

Really? I think he's decent. Do you not?

He's ok at the minute. Looks dangerous, doesnt really produce much. He picked the ball up at Rotherham on line with the centre circle at one point and inexplicably ran straight into touch. I just see a lot of Jermaine Johnson in him. Thought you'd hate him!

Edited by youngen

Posted · Hidden by Zorrro, September 20, 2013 - It'll only cause bother leaving it up...
Hidden by Zorrro, September 20, 2013 - It'll only cause bother leaving it up...

I thought it would be a good idea to start a game similar to guessing the average attendance.

How many yards away from the byline will Sidney Schmeltz manage to run it directly out of play from?

Im saying 23 yards.

Or how about a differnt game called give the lad a :censored:ing chance for :censored:s sake ! How many games in are we ? how many games in england has he played ? Its twats like you that really get my back up, you will be back on in a few months when hes fully settled telling us how great he is and you never doubted him. Get a:censored:ing grip

He's ok at the minute. Looks dangerous, doesnt really produce much. He picked the ball up at Rotherham on line with the centre circle at one point and inexplicably ran straight into touch. I just see a lot of Jermaine Johnson in him. Thought you'd hate him!

If he could then he would be in the premiership!

He is abit jermaine Johnsonesque in that his end product is abit erratic however he is one of those players that will have you on the edge of your seat. hes equally as capable as hitting the top corner as the corner flag. Although I doubt many defenders will fancy having him run at them all game.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I think Dayton and Montano will be more reliable than Sidney over the season, that's even with Dayton looking pretty inconsistent from what I've seen of him so far. But when we come up against a team who has a weak/inexperienced full back (like Shrewsbury in the JPT) Sidney will terrorise them unlike either of the other two.

I think Dayton and Montano will be more reliable than Sidney over the season, that's even with Dayton looking pretty inconsistent from what I've seen of him so far. But when we come up against a team who has a weak/inexperienced full back (like Shrewsbury in the JPT) Sidney will terrorise them unlike either of the other two.

All of our widemen are capable of terrorising even the best teams imo and they will do when were are settled as a team. Montano especially with encouragement, he seems to me like the kind of player who requires an arm round his shoulder, a fully confident Monty could be leathel at this level i reckon

He is abit jermaine Johnsonesque in that his end product is abit erratic however he is one of those players that will have you on the edge of your seat. hes equally as capable as hitting the top corner as the corner flag. Although I doubt many defenders will fancy having him run at them all game.

I'd rather watch players like Sidney than someone like Liddell, Liddell had better results but he didn't put a smile on your face playing like he doesn't even know what he is going to do next.

Very entertaining and that, but he needs to stop pissing about when he's got the ball and just cross the :censored:ing thing.

Or maybe I've been watching third division football too long.

This is part of the problem...do we want to watch football played with flair and a degree of the cavalier?..or do we want to watch lump and hoof?

Teams that want to play as Latics currently do, don't get long enough on the ball because there is always some opposition player with a lesser degree of creativity, who is willing to jump-in and try and break a leg, after being skinned, sliced and made a mockery of by some flashy git on the wings.

Very entertaining and that, but he needs to stop pissing about when he's got the ball and just cross the :censored:ing thing.

Or maybe I've been watching third division football too long.

This is what annoys me about supporting Oldham, our fans seem to be a right miserable bunch. Give me entertainment, give me flair, i want to see skills, taking players on etc. Yet you still here constant groans of "just get rid of it" or "stop pissing around with it just get it in the box" I enjoyed watching players like JJ, Morais for their flair and I'm going to enjoy watching Sid.

This is what annoys me about supporting Oldham, our fans seem to be a right miserable bunch. Give me entertainment, give me flair, i want to see skills, taking players on etc. Yet you still here constant groans of "just get rid of it" or "stop pissing around with it just get it in the box" I enjoyed watching players like JJ, Morais for their flair and I'm going to enjoy watching Sid.

You'll enjoy it most if he beats three men and whips a cross in to the near post that Rooney buries in the back of the net.

Im all for flair, but when your a winger your main objective is to get the ball in the box. Sidney gets his yard to do that and then turns around and tries to beat a man again from what Ive seen. Im all for him skinning and mocking a full back, but Id much prefer his end produce to be sharper and more productive.

Give me Andy Liddell any day.

Edited by youngen

Im all for flair, but when your a winger your main objective is to get the ball in the box. Sidney gets his yard to do that and then turns around and tries to beat a man again from what Ive seen. Im all for him skinning and mocking a full back, but Id much prefer his end produce to be sharper and more productive.

They aren't similar players though, Lids would have more to his game if he'd still had his legs and more of a trick on him. Sidney will be better when he takes chances to cross first time before the defence gets a chance to straighten up.

Schmeltz certainly needs to work on his final ball, more specifically the timing of it. However for the moment his pace and mad skillz are going to make full backs worry. Even if his final ball isn't carrying enough of a threat just now the opposition will still be reluctant to commit their full back to attack. He might even concern some teams enough to double up on him.

Pointless throwing a cross into the box when there is no one poaching to stick it in...You watch against Crawley, Smeltz is generally attacking the flank on his own and has to cut back in to buy our players time to get into the box.

They aren't similar players though, Lids would have more to his game if he'd still had his legs and more of a trick on him. Sidney will be better when he takes chances to cross first time before the defence gets a chance to straighten up.

What Im saying is Id rather have a player who delivers quality ball after quality ball who doesnt excite, than one who can beat a man with ease but his deliveries are limited to one good one every 10 tries. We (Rooney especially) would score more with Liddell on the wing than Schmeltz at the minute.

The thing with Schmeltz is if he ups his end produce to even one good ball every 3 and he delivers when he has the opportunity rather than having to do that extra stepover, he could be as good as any winger weve had at this level.

What Im saying is Id rather have a player who delivers quality ball after quality ball who doesnt excite, than one who can beat a man with ease but his deliveries are limited to one good one every 10 tries. We (Rooney especially) would score more with Liddell on the wing than Schmeltz at the minute.

The thing with Schmeltz is if he ups his end produce to even one good ball every 3 and he delivers when he has the opportunity rather than having to do that extra stepover, he could be as good as any winger weve had at this level.

I don't disagree, i was making the point that getting a quality ball in is exciting good football for me, and doing as early as you is nothing like lumping it as others said. If Rooney knew where Sidney was going to put it as often as not he would get himself there, like Porter for Lids