LJ - The Modern Manager

And your happy about that???

That's the sort of response I expect from United fans. "How dare an 'inferior' team to us turn up and try to win a game?!"

I'm glad we had a go at Liverpool and Everton last year and didn't roll over. That must have pissed you right off that we'd actually had a go and not rolled over

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the sort of response I expect from United fans. "How dare an 'inferior' team to us turn up and try to win a game?!"

I'm glad we had a go at Liverpool and Everton last year and didn't roll over. That must have pissed you right off that we'd actually had a go and not rolled over

Why would i be pissed off about a team i support both financially and emotionally turning up to play higher opposition.

What does piss me off is the laissez-faire attitude thats been adopted by the majority of fans on this board over poor results that we continue to produce, Crewe was poor, and the fact we are now seen as Inferior to teams such as Crawley Town, who were probably playing on Clayton Playing Fields in the Carlsberg Sunday League FA Cup when we were turning over Man City, Chelsea and United in the Premiership can you blame me for becoming pissed off, it seems the downward regression has turned the fan base into zombies, and if you disagree with whats occuring on the pitch or behind the scenes you are persecuted and set upon like the local paedophile.

People say we don't have the budget to compete, Yeovil paid their players Jam Butty bonuses and they got out this division AGAIN last season, ok for some players money is a factor (mercenaries e.g Robbie Simpson) but the fact what we haven't had since Big Joe is a man able to mould and manage a rag tag set off players coupled with promising youth players capable of performing week in week out and having a right good go at bringing continued success to OUR beloved club, and finally gettting us out of this god forsaken division!!!

Oh. Dear.

Just........well, that.

Some fans need to re-check their expecations. Last time i checked, we were a struggling League One club with poor finances and long service award for being in the division.

With everything considered, being 16th and playing some nice attractive football is a :censored:ing massive achievement!

#itsnotlikeitwasinthe90sanymore

Edited by slystallone

The delusion amongst some of our fans

Why would i be pissed off about a team i support both financially and emotionally turning up to play higher opposition.

What does piss me off is the laissez-faire attitude thats been adopted by the majority of fans on this board over poor results that we continue to produce, Crewe was poor, and the fact we are now seen as Inferior to teams such as Crawley Town, who were probably playing on Clayton Playing Fields in the Carlsberg Sunday League FA Cup when we were turning over Man City, Chelsea and United in the Premiership can you blame me for becoming pissed off, it seems the downward regression has turned the fan base into zombies, and if you disagree with whats occuring on the pitch or behind the scenes you are persecuted and set upon like the local paedophile.

People say we don't have the budget to compete, Yeovil paid their players Jam Butty bonuses and they got out this division AGAIN last season, ok for some players money is a factor (mercenaries e.g Robbie Simpson) but the fact what we haven't had since Big Joe is a man able to mould and manage a rag tag set off players coupled with promising youth players capable of performing week in week out and having a right good go at bringing continued success to OUR beloved club, and finally gettting us out of this god forsaken division!!!

You seem to lack even a basic grasp of concepts such as time, history, change and economics.

There seems to be only 4 ways to go up from this division.

a. Throw money at it - ( Peterborough) - We can't do that

b. Be a big club and can naturally attract players. (Leeds) - We can't do that

c. Get lucky by getting a gem of a striker who bangs goals in for fun. (Scunthorpe) - This is hard, but we can do this and would require some luck. A player getting on a run.

d. Keep the majority of your squad together over a sustained period. Ride out some bad times and when other teams are finding their feet after swapping umpteen players over the summer, you have only added the odd quality player to your side. (Yeovil) - This is in my opinion our best chance.

- D is our best option. It means riding out some hard times.

Edited by pukka

With everything considered, being 16th and playing some nice attractive football is a :censored:ing massive achievement!

I disagree.

With everything considered we've been punching well below our weight for 17 years.

Less so now though.

Unfortunately 16th in League One will soon become our station in life. I don't think it is quite yet & we shouldn't accept it being.

d. Keep the majority of your squad together over a sustained period. Ride out some bad times and when other teams are finding their feet after swapping umpteen players over the summer, you have only added the odd quality player to your side. (Yeovil) - This is in my opinion our best chance.

Agreed. The hardest part is trying to explain to the chimps that:

a. This is our best chance, and,

b. It is impossible to achieve by game 9 of season one.

"With everything considered we've been punching well below our weight for 17 years"

I'm not too sure. I think we are a league one club. This is our level. The odd flirt with the top end, the odd flirt with the bottom end.

More and more clubs have come (up and down) to this level with a lot more money than we have.

"With everything considered we've been punching well below our weight for 17 years"

I'm not too sure. I think we are a league one club. This is our level. The odd flirt with the top end, the odd flirt with the bottom end.

More and more clubs have come (up and down) to this level with a lot more money than we have.

We were about 16th in what's now the Championship when I started going and we regularly had to sell to survive then.

That will always be our level for me.

In terms of punching above/below our weight, given the opportunities missed that could have made a long term difference, I think we have to accept that far from punching well below our weight for the past 17 years, we were punching above our weight for the 20 years before that.

Nothing we can do about that now but start all over again. The mistakes were made in the early 90s.

Big Joe didnt get success straight away, we had to be patient and beleive in what he was doing, I think the least you can do is give LJ a effing chance. Preston was stand out maybe he can get us playing like that regularly, our options are quite limited as Pukka suggested.

re 1989 table:

But in the 110+ years of Oldham Athletic you have picked a year where we have finished higher than we did in 85+ years.

That cannot be classed as the norm.

Edited by pukka

We were about 16th in what's now the Championship when I started going and we regularly had to sell to survive then.

That will always be our level for me.

But that is a strange way to justify our level. When I started going regularly we had just dropped into league 1 and we are still here now so we are at the right level. My first game saw us beat qpr in the top division actually maybe this is the right level?

We have played more games in what is now the Championship than any other league. However, we have only taken an average of 1.13 points per game in that league (bearing in mind that quite a few years was 2 points for a win).

Conversely, we have played roughly 400 games less in League one (aka Division 3) but got 1.2 points per game, so I'd say we were more of a bottom Championship, but possibly a top of League 1, side myself. Especially as we have played more games in the top flight than we have in Division 4.

Courtesy of http://www.statto.com/ which those that way inclined could probably spend ages on.

Rick Holden said in his book, he was offered a new deal at latics for £1800 p/w. That was in the early nineties. Twenty years on an I would hazard a guess that's what our top earners are roughly on now. We got left behind a long time ago. However I still think we have underachieved. . But not by much. I think with the squads we've had, top half would of been a decent return in the last few seasons.

With everything considered we've been punching well below our weight for 17 years.

Less so now though.

Unfortunately 16th in League One will soon become our station in life. I don't think it is quite yet & we shouldn't accept it being.

16th in League One has been our station for the best part of 20 years. Why would you think it isnt our station? If we were drawing in even just 8k fans a week then maybe theres an arguement for us being bigger but even the shrewedest businessman can only throw so much money at a club with a minimal fan base.

Our demise might have been at the hands of people like Lees Brewery etc but in the long term its the people of Oldham who are to blame.

Anyway, I dont care, I'm coming home this weekend to see us be the first to beat Leyton and I'm bloody excited - you know how long its been since Ive said I'm excited about visiting BP to see us against a team such as Leyton?

Edited by davegtt

16th in League One has been our station for the best part of 20 years. Why would you think it isnt our station? If we were drawing in even just 8k fans a week then maybe theres an arguement for us being bigger but even the shrewedest businessman can only throw so much money at a club with a minimal fan base.

Our demise might have been at the hands of people like Lees Brewery etc but in the long term its the people of Oldham who are to blame.

Anyway, I dont care, I'm coming home this weekend to see us be the first to beat Leyton and I'm bloody excited - you know how long its been since Ive said I'm excited about visiting BP to see us against a team such as Leyton?

I hope its the excitement of seeing the football and not the pies, enjoy yourself Saturday when we pick up 3 points.

But that is a strange way to justify our level. When I started going regularly we had just dropped into league 1 and we are still here now so we are at the right level. My first game saw us beat qpr in the top division actually maybe this is the right level?

I wasn't trying to justify anything, just explaining where our level is in my mind and why.