LJ - The Modern Manager

I don't know, I think I could do a better job than LDJhechat:censored:.

OK.....on Planet Balls......Corney would get rid of a manager with experience in playing, coaching and a bit of managing and bringing in YOU!!! So tell us how and why you would be better or are you talkin bollox?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.....on Planet Balls......Corney would get rid of a manager with experience in playing, coaching and a bit of managing and bringing in YOU!!! So tell us how and why you would be better or are you talkin bollox?

It was more a pun at him saying Sir Alex and me being called Alex....plus I haven't done my coaching badges yet, but it is something i'd like to do..anyway I digress...

I would have appointed Iain Dowie, by all accounts he wanted the job but wasn't offered the money or the budget he felt was needed to take us forward.

What we've been left with is a chap who's been to a fair few management courses, learnt a few of the words, a bit of the lingo and then spouts it to us every week, and 90% of us are taken in by it, I was until I saw through him a month or so ago.

He's a carbon copy of PD but at least Dickov had his Premierleague roots and contacts to fall back on, and at least under PD we played well and WON for the first half of his first season. Under LDJhechat:censored: we're "playing well" apparently but not winning.

Saturday is massive. Especially with Notts. Co being called off, we could potentially slip further away.

but wasn't offered the money or the budget he felt was needed to take us forward.

With the budget I want I could get us to be Champions league winners. Sadly, this budget isn't one that the club can afford. I would think the same applies to Dowie's proposed budget.

Saturday is massive. Especially with Notts. Co being called off, we could potentially slip further away.

Oh noes! We're being relegated in October. Again.

Edited by beag_teeets

With the budget I want I could get us to be Champions league winners. Sadly, this budget isn't one that the club can afford. I would think the same applies to Dowie's proposed budget.

Oh noes! We're being relegated in October. Again.

No, it'll be the usual 16th place finish.

We brought in around £1,000,000 from the cup run last season, and £350,000 from Baxter. Re-invest that into the team, we'd walk this league. We appointed a manager on the cheap and are now facing the reality of this decision, we won't do a Blackpool and rise through the league as we don't have the manager and players to be able to do that.

And going back to Mike, i've been banging this drum for 2 or 3 weeks now, but i'll do it again, what I would do is this...

Rachubka

Lanzoni

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton

Wesolowski

Smith

Mills

Rooney

MacDonald

Let that team play for 2,3,4 games, let them gel and they'd be a decent little number.

My opinion at the time was that there were enough experienced managers available for us not to have to take such a gamble - still believe Keith Hill would be a perfect fit.

Only Corney and co know why went with Johnson although it's not hard to imagine finance being one of the major factors.

Think the meet the manager events helped him, he obviously charmed some of the posters on here who now go gooey eyed at the very mention of his name.

I'm going to go to the game on Saturday. But i'm gonna be watching LDJhechat:censored: like a hawk. I'm going to see his line up, what formation he's got them in, any changes, tactical decisions, and above all how many times he waves his hands like a mad man on the touchline.

I'll report back Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I'm going to go to the game on Saturday. But i'm gonna be watching LDJhechat:censored: like a hawk. I'm going to see his line up, what formation he's got them in, any changes, tactical decisions, and above all how many times he waves his hands like a mad man on the touchline.

Please don't.

And that nickname, are you 7?

You'll get an ASBO with that sort of behaviour.

I'm not convinced by LJ at all, and it appears that when you don't follow the flock of sheep on here, you get pillored. See Chaddy End Regular on the JCH thread and now Postman Matt.

Johnson is nothing more than a salesman, and all this talk of us playing sexy football, and the best football we've ever seen, I think you've been blinkered by Penny and Dickov.

We've won 2 games, that is appalling, and people keep commenting drivel such as "Yeah we lost again, but we're playing well"....unbelievable.

Looking back at the games I've seen, and i've seen 7 out of 11 live and PNE on tv, we haven't been great at all.

Stevenage, we looked good going forward, but was shocking at the back, two penalties saved us, and a certain Mr Baxter who we are missing greatly.

Derby, started ok, faded badly, but acceptable against a higher opposition team.

Walsall - Appalling, it was just like last season that game.

Port Vale - Highly entertaining in the end, but result would have been much different had Hughes bagged the pen. Overran in first half.

Tranmere - Didn't have a shot on target, highly frustrating afternoon.

PNE (On TV) - The only game I can say we were brilliant, and somewhere near as good as the fans are making out.

Rotherham - Average, another where we were overran, only came into it when the siege mentality kicked in and then conceeded in injury time die to the keeper knocking it back out into the middle.

Crewe - Absolutely abysmal. Against a team that hasn't even SCORED away from home, never mind won, and who had suffered two 3-0 losses on the bounce, and people claim it was a good draw.

We've conceeded 5 penalties, we have conceeded first in every league game bar Port Vale, we have a left back at centre half, we change the CM pairing every game, we change the wingers every game, we change the forwards every game, we then put a forward on the left wing, we've got a limp wristed rash goalkeeper that has given away two penalties (who's not even our own player.... DROP HIM) we've got a striker who hit the post v crewe when it was harder to miss, who then goes and hits the bar from point blank, the post and straight at the keeper the next game....need I go on??

Isn't this the same striker who tucked away an excellent goal against Crewe? at least he's appearing in the right areas to score goals and with good service will score plenty IMO.

Edited by BP1960

Isn't this the same striker who tucked away an excellent goal against Crewe? at least he's appearing in the right areas to score goals and with good service will score plenty IMO.

That's my approach with strikers.

If they're in the right place at the right time sooner or later they'll get a run of goals.

Now when LJ was appointed nobody seen it coming lets be honest but first of all lets look at his playing career.

Aside from a few stints in Scotland 95% of Lee's career has been alongside Daddy Johnson, don't get me wrong he was a good player but ultimately he was his fathers son and therefore 1st name on the team sheet.

2 promotions & 3 player of the year awards at Yeovil, 1 promotion at Bristol City suggests that your "1st name 'cos he's daddy's boy" is just prejudiced rubbish. Starting with that sort of comments at least sets the reader up for rest of the post though.

Has he got older and his playing days were coming to an end he has been fast tracked into management, using modern footballing techniques (classroom taught) and being very good at Microsoft Powerpoint presentations he has found himself in football management at a club that couldn't afford anyone else lets be honest.

Ok, let's take the "couldn't afford anyone else" first - rubbish ; it was stated on his appointment that some candidates offered to run the club to the end of last season without pay.

As for "classroom taught"; 13 years, 7 clubs and 3 promotions; played successfully at all levels below premiership. That's the same sort of profile as many rookie managers. The classroom thing? Well, would you rather have a manager who writes with a crayon?

Now this isn't a lets flog LJ thread because his enthiusiam is brilliant but so was Dickov's but its clear as day he isn't ready for our level of management.

No evidence here, not even much to say other than you accept he's got enthusiasm. The last few words are just your (vacant) opinion echoing.

He is 1/5th into the season and hasn't got a what you would call his nailed on XI, yes their has been lots of new arrivals but this is ultimately his squad now and their are cracks already.

1/5th into the season for a first time manager with a high turnover ; hardly time to start fretting. What was Shez's record in his first 10 games? Bear in mind that he'd done coaching and played at international level too, so he should have really been in a better position to make a quick impact.

The Rusnak episode for instance, now i don't take part in idol gossip unless its about Tom Taiwo :clint: but what was posted on this thread about what Rusnak had apparantely said regarding LJ's attitude and actions in training is what i believe to be true i've heard it from several people and they were all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Yeah, thing is I've not heard it from anyone apart from the bitter blue stuff that was clearly made up. I mean "the rotherham players were motivated cos LJ called evans fat" - FFS

I firmly believe we have needed a Gary Megson/Martin Allen typeof character ever since Dowie failed, because 17 seasons in the same division for a club with the potential like our's simply isn't good enough and to simply settle for surviving season in, season out again is just an indication of how far we have sunk.

Yeah, ok. We could be where Gillingham are.

So back to the appointment of LJ, I for one was very negative about his appointment and if it wasn't for a group of individuals putting themselves in the shop window for future moves then we wouldn't have stayed up last season.

Wouldn't that say more about Dickovs signings/teachings than about Johnson? Nice attempt to ameliorate an example of him achieving though. Again, this shows your prejudices and lack of balance.

He likes to flaunt himself in the media another thing which has been mentioned and stated Rooney was his number one target yet he doesn't know how to play him or play off him (if he has researched him he would know he isnt a target man) as i believe there is a player to saviour in him, he has started to chop and change tactics now and slowly is starting to use PD's spin in the media for when we get beat, we don't seem to be able to keep a clean sheet nor learning from mistakes made in previous games.

Was PD good at spin then? I think this is another load of unsubstantiated, vague rambling.

Pitchside their doesn't seem to be a lot of influence being exhumed to the players on the pitch and he much prefers to have it out with officials and opposing managers and assistants, we have the office junior sat pitchside and a recently retired player fast tracked into a first team coaching role, as well as a fitness coach and gk coach going above beyond what is ultimately their job roles.

So, it's a bad thing that he's got a coach , fitness coach and gk coach going above and beyond? Wow, that's a bad thing apparently. as for the BQ slight - how many times? Jesus if it really makes you so jealous buy a full training kit, tracksuit and some replica balls.

Finally IF LJ took any notice of his Dad in action throughout his career he would know the number 1 tool a successful manager needs especially one striving to be succesful in management is an experienced right hand man he is the one who you turn to when your struggling he is the link between players and management and in my eyes the most important cog in the wheel of success, i also for one don't Simon Corney recognises this and wouldn't stand in the way of any appointment LJ deemed necessary because Paul Murray isnt the answer, he needs to given time to progress his coaching career also.

Who was GJs assistant at all the clubs he's been at? Has he appointed his own man each time? Given the lack of real detail in the rest of this post I suspect you haven't got a clue, but if it's point you are well informed on , you must surely know who has fulfilled the role and their background, otherwise it all turns to water.

Rice needs a few more minutes; Terry Skiverton though - 3 years as a manager with a win rate of 25% apparently makes you an "experienced right hand man" - jeez, if you're going to write a diatribe, at least do a thin skein of research!

So, there's 10 minutes wasted. Tandoori Chicken for tea!

Edited by real

One thing I don't know, probably should calling myself a fan and all is, did LJ register himself as a player for reserves? I'm sure he said something along the lines of doing that so he could help the younger players progress etc.

Haven't heard anything regarding this so am curious if he's doing it?

Anyone know?

"That Lampard bloke only ever got in the West Ham team because his uncle was the manager. Whatever happened to him....?"

Here is Harry Redknapp defending his decision to play Lampard at a fans forum. The fans are unhappy he sold Scott Canham instead of Frank.

Theirs a reason people are sat in the stand while others are either out on the pitch or on the touch line making a living from football and that's the conclusive evidence right there.

People like to think they know more than the manager they don't

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/west_ham_utd/152070/retro-football-harry-redknapp-defends-17-year-old-frank-lampard-from-uppity-west-ham-fan-video.html

One thing I don't know, probably should calling myself a fan and all is, did LJ register himself as a player for reserves? I'm sure he said something along the lines of doing that so he could help the younger players progress etc.

Haven't heard anything regarding this so am curious if he's doing it?

Anyone know?

He's turned out for the Ressies at least once this season

It was more a pun at him saying Sir Alex and me being called Alex....plus I haven't done my coaching badges yet, but it is something i'd like to do..anyway I digress...

I would have appointed Iain Dowie, by all accounts he wanted the job but wasn't offered the money or the budget he felt was needed to take us forward.

What we've been left with is a chap who's been to a fair few management courses, learnt a few of the words, a bit of the lingo and then spouts it to us every week, and 90% of us are taken in by it, I was until I saw through him a month or so ago.

He's a carbon copy of PD but at least Dickov had his Premierleague roots and contacts to fall back on, and at least under PD we played well and WON for the first half of his first season. Under LDJhechat:censored: we're "playing well" apparently but not winning.

"I would have appointed Iain Dowie". That's interesting, any other manager apart from Johnson could have got us relegated. That's a fact.

Is anyonelse quite glad we didn't appoint dowie a man who has done nothing in management in what is coming upto a decade now.

Dowie spent alot of money that can't be denied. It enabled him to sign the likes of Clint Hill for £225,000 etc.

But what also can't be denied is he had a structure in place and a system, playing 352 with wingbacks, he took average players like John Eyre and they looked class in that team, same goes for Carlo Corazzin, Wayne Andrews, Josh Low, Will Haining, Darren Sheridan etc.

He had the fittest team in the league, something LDJhechat:censored: said we were going to be, but all I see are laboured performances.

He had a scouting network that brought us Fitz Hall. It doesn't matter who his network was, but now i've mentioned it, it was his brother Bob. LDJhechat:censored: said his family were scouts etc, but he's not really pulled any gems in the mould of Hall out of the bag. Granted Adam Rooney is a decent forward for this level, yet he's not getting the service he requires, ie wingers bombing to the by-line and knocking them across goal for him, funny really when we have such great wingers in Montano, Dayton and Schmeltz, or in fact are these players not all that?

This was Dowies team in the play off v QPR at Loftus Road.

Pogliacomi

Hill

Hall

Haining

Murray

Armstrong

Sheridan D

Eyres

Low

Andrews

Eyre

Against Johnsons Crawley line up...

Oxley

Lanzoni

Mills

Tarkowski

Grounds

Rodgers

Smith

Dayton

Wesolowski

Clarke-Harris

MacDonald

Which line up and management team do you wish we had?

Edited by alex_balls

Dowie spent alot of money that can't be denied. It enabled him to sign the likes of Clint Hill for £225,000 etc.

But what also can't be denied is he had a structure in place and a system, playing 352 with wingbacks, he took average players like John Eyre and they looked class in that team, same goes for Carlo Corazzin, Wayne Andrews, Josh Low, Will Haining, Darren Sheridan etc.

He had the fittest team in the league, something LDJhechat:censored: said we were going to be, but all I see are laboured performances.

He had a scouting network that brought us Fitz Hall. It doesn't matter who his network was, but now i've mentioned it, it was his brother Bob. LDJhechat:censored: said his family were scouts etc, but he's not really pulled any gems in the mould of Hall out of the bag. Granted Adam Rooney is a decent forward for this level, yet he's not getting the service he requires, ie wingers bombing to the by-line and knocking them across goal for him, funny really when we have such great wingers in Montano, Dayton and Schmeltz, or in fact are these players not all that?

This was Dowies team in the play off v QPR at Loftus Road.

Pogliacomi

Hill

Hall

Haining

Murray

Armstrong

Sheridan D

Eyres

Low

Andrews

Eyre

Against Johnsons Crawley line up...

Oxley

Lanzoni

Mills

Tarkowski

Grounds

Rodgers

Smith

Dayton

Wesolowski

Clarke-Harris

MacDonald

Which line up and management team do you wish we had?

I feel this present team would do wonders under him given the structure and methods he would have implemented.

However, we haven't got him for whatever reason - it hasn't happened and we move on.

Johnson impressed me immensely when he arrived I have to admit, and he continues to speak sense and appears to be a methodical coach and analyser of the game, so I am more than happy to have him and certainly on the evidence of our general play and the talented playes he has managed to recruit, i'm more than happy he's here and his ambition and positive attitude bodes well for the club as a whole.

Who's to say the current team won't finsh in the playoffs also?!!

long way to go yet and i feel LJ has over-done things in the press and been too harsh on the team given we are a new group and aren't playing badly.

I know the man has high standards and I have no problem with him wanting better and to make the games and chances count to give us the points our performances deserve; however we have played really decent stuff in the games so far barring one or two poor games and I can't say i've come away from a game not having enjoyed it aside from Walsall.

The 2-0 loss to Preston was a great display and losing didnt bother me primariily because first and foremost the team gave their all and we played really well and that's all you can ask

Lambasting players for missing chances and labelling a new team and strikforce which is constantly changed game after game as being 'powderpuff' and 'my 5yr old could have scored that' is a little harsh - no player deliberately misses a chance and they'll be hard enough on themselves without needing to be micky-taken in the press.

Hope LJ keeps comments in-house and keeps positive with the players as that, added to a settled strikeforce, is what we need

Up to LJ to decide and manage at the end of the day, so all we can do is support him and trust him. We're playing far far better than last season, which is a start in itself.

Here's to 3 points on saturday!!

Edited by shefflatic