LJ - The Modern Manager

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I dont care, I'm coming home this weekend to see us be the first to beat Leyton and I'm bloody excited - you know how long its been since Ive said I'm excited about visiting BP to see us against a team such as Leyton?

Wow, can you even remember where the ground is? Pop by the White Hart and say hi if you have the chance.

Why would i be pissed off about a team i support both financially and emotionally turning up to play higher opposition.

What does piss me off is the laissez-faire attitude thats been adopted by the majority of fans on this board over poor results that we continue to produce, Crewe was poor, and the fact we are now seen as Inferior to teams such as Crawley Town, who were probably playing on Clayton Playing Fields in the Carlsberg Sunday League FA Cup when we were turning over Man City, Chelsea and United in the Premiership can you blame me for becoming pissed off, it seems the downward regression has turned the fan base into zombies, and if you disagree with whats occuring on the pitch or behind the scenes you are persecuted and set upon like the local paedophile.

People say we don't have the budget to compete, Yeovil paid their players Jam Butty bonuses and they got out this division AGAIN last season, ok for some players money is a factor (mercenaries e.g Robbie Simpson) but the fact what we haven't had since Big Joe is a man able to mould and manage a rag tag set off players coupled with promising youth players capable of performing week in week out and having a right good go at bringing continued success to OUR beloved club, and finally gettting us out of this god forsaken division!!!

Because you brain is so far up your backside that you think skiverton counts as an experienced number 2?

Lets face it in your world black is white / green / blue / red or even C#, as long as it satisfies your requirement of it being useful information to allege LJ is an idiot. Or should that be assume?

In 17yrs 68 clubs have been relegated from League1.

Several of them have gone bust along the way, including us.

At least 12 have continued through the league 2 trap door.

At least 8 are still trying to get back through it.

There is no evidence whatsoever of a new recruit to coaching having SUCCESS stamped on his forehead. That includes Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger, Redknapp and on and on and on and.... Also not forgetting our very own Jimmy Frizzle and Joe Royle.

The selection of these men on their first job and their ultimate success was PURE LUCK.

The richest chairmen in the world have no definitive skill or aptitude towards identify such a coach, they just take pot luck the same as the poorest chairmen in the world.

What the wealthiest also have are unlimited funds to keep swapping and changing these 'successful coaches' time after time, after time, after....

They also have the funds to pander to their coaches over inflated ego's as to how to spend money in the transfer market. As we ALL know this fails to provide the required level of success Time, after time, after time, after...

Football is a very complex entertainment business with the end product (even in the lower leagues) being provided by some guys with over inflated ego's and in general no real affiliation to the club. Getting it right on the pitch is a minefield.

I and many others understand all this and if some businessman chooses to attempt to provide our Saturday afternoon club football we are grateful. A person lacking funds getting agitated over lack of investment or suitable appointment being made seems quite perverse.

We have recently been down to a regular hard core of about 3,000 fans as a result of poor entertainment value. That is how it works in any business. If you don't like it you don't buy it. If we were doing OK in the Championship I don't see more than 9,000 to 10,000 local fans being interested even then.

If we are ever funded into getting into the Championship we should be VERY GRATEFUL and feel VERY LUCKY. Meanwhile....

The selection of these men on their first job and their ultimate success was PURE LUCK.

I don't agree with that. It's down to hard work, a support structure around the club who back the manager and actually being able to do the job. Being allowed to make mistakes is a key one.

That "support structure" I mention comes from everywhere. The chairman, the players, his staff and the fans. I made a post in August that said, we needed an experienced assistant manager. A few people completely disagreed, but Im still absolutely adamant that he needs one. I said in June that would be the key signing. It would be LJ's first test for me, get some experience in and Ill be pleased, unfortunately he didn't. I know the budget is tight, but I still believe that was a key signing missed.

The fans need to back him. Realise where we are and the fact is the best chance of getting out of the division (the right way) is to keep a squad together. Ok next summer 2/3 go and 2/3 come in, but not the wholesale changes.

I don't agree with that. It's down to hard work, a support structure around the club who back the manager and actually being able to do the job. Being allowed to make mistakes is a key one.

That "support structure" I mention comes from everywhere. The chairman, the players, his staff and the fans. I made a post in August that said, we needed an experienced assistant manager. A few people completely disagreed, but Im still absolutely adamant that he needs one. I said in June that would be the key signing. It would be LJ's first test for me, get some experience in and Ill be pleased, unfortunately he didn't. I know the budget is tight, but I still believe that was a key signing missed.

The fans need to back him. Realise where we are and the fact is the best chance of getting out of the division (the right way) is to keep a squad together. Ok next summer 2/3 go and 2/3 come in, but not the wholesale changes.

I entirely agree for the most part but your correct identification of the 'support structure' only seems to support my bullet sentence. What are the chances of all those critical elements + the right coach coming together successfully, not forgetting finance? Luck has to take a large chunk of the credit, like Fleming's discovery of Penicillin for example. The number of high profile managers that do the rounds of clubs and failing after having a modicum of success earlier in their career is also testament to my view. What a thoroughly frustrating hobby supporting a football club is. Ask ANY fan of ANY club.

Luck plays a part yes, but take Mourinho for example. Is he getting his job at lucky? Some would say yes. He wasn't a big name player and was a surprise appointment. Others would say no. Players and staff said they had never seen such detailed scouting reports on players and the opposition. He made an impression. How many doors did he have to knock on before getting a yes? The harder you work, the luckier you seem to get.

The more options you give yourself the more opportunities you have to get it right.

High profile managers out of work can be many things.

They want too much money.

Their style of football doesn't fit with fans. Gary Megson has a good track record at this level. Would the majority of fans want him?

A fall out.

Media perception.

"Your not a "crank" because your not smitten and taken in by a conman, i'd say you're more a "crank" for believing the BS."

You say he is a conman, but there isn't anything to ctually back this up. No more than people saying "he is a great manager". Time will tell.

The idiotic nature of the game now is that if we win tomorrow, fans will be fawning over him and the team. We have to give him a go.

Edited by pukka

Your not a "crank" because your not smitten and taken in by a conman, i'd say you're more a "crank" for believing the BS.

I'm not "smitten" with our manager and his start to the season whatsoever.

I can, however, see loads to build on and am enjoying our football far more than I did in recent seasons.

"Your not a "crank" because your not smitten and taken in by a conman, i'd say you're more a "crank" for believing the BS."

You say he is a conman, but there isn't anything to ctually back this up. No more than people saying "he is a great manager". Time will tell.

The idiotic nature of the game now is that if we win tomorrow, fans will be fawning over him and the team. We have to give him a go.

That'll be me tomorrow if we do grab a win.

Well I see you have thought this through and feel quite strongly, but I disagree with the vast majority of what you say.

This however I do agree with, however whilst its not ideal I wouldn't use it as a stick to beat him with. Not many new managers (and with the summer upheaval Johnson essentially started his job in the summer) have a nailed on XI by the 2nd October.

I've noted before that this team remind me a lot of last season's Liverpool. They started the season passing it well, outdoing their opponents on the possession and shot fronts in most matches but not getting the desired results. Rodgers (with whom and Johnson I see some similarities) tinkered here and there, perfecting his formula until after Christmas it clicked... with the exception of a few notable results!

Now there's no guaranteeing this is the route we're going down, but what I have seen has convinced me it is. I - and I know many others too - are happy to play the waiting game watching this team find their way in League One in the hope and belief that it clicks before long.

Keep the Faith guys!

Was that about the same time as a certain Daniel Sturridge joined the club...? Shortly followed by some dude named Phillippe Coutinho I think.

Edited by TheBigDog

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

alex_balls, on 25 Sept 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:snapback.png

I thought that as I posted, I'd put Mills on left wing then, it's where I see his long term future...

alex_balls, on 25 Sept 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:snapback.png

Haha true BP, I really do feel this guy is a better attacking player than defender, he'd be cracking as a LWB or LW.

Finally the prayer has been answered and the gaffers seen sense, been saying it for ages, and i've heard alot of posters say Mills was MOTM or at least a close second, Good to see our LB play LB today and actually have two CB's at CB. The result, a point against top of the league. Keep the same team at PNE now please.