Latics 1-1 Orient post-match reaction thread

Decent performance today but at the back it worries me. Should have closed that out because Orient looked like an ordinary run-of-the-mill League 1 side that were there for the taking. Kusunga gave too many needless free kicks away inviting pressure. It was a mistake by the normally tidy Korey Smith who let Lisbie turn him conceding him lots of space which led to the goal. After that all the drive and tempo drained from the performance. Had it not been for that I think we'd have ran out 2-0 winners.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two points dropped - we need to put some of these chances away, no point bossing possession if we can't finish.

We need to learn how to play to Rooney's strengths. It's brainless booting it up to his head - he's clearly not that sort of player.

And they shouldn't have been allowed to get in the position to score the contentious goal. Why the hell didn't Smith tackle him on the half way line, or at least put some sort of challenge in? Instead he's allowed to sprint half the way up the pitch unchallenged whilst we stand off and watch.

Great if we could get mills for the season . Winchester and wes immense today. Kusunga looked ok but lack of match fitness was evident , he looked as if he was running on a treadmill stuck in treacle in the latter stages . Time for Macdonald and philliskirk to have a run of games together now and let them build a partnership as wes and smith have .

Feel for Rooney a bit. He must have watched the first 60-65 mins and thought he was in for the sort of service he thrives on, i.e. passes into feet and chest. Yet as soon as he replaced DP it appears the players look at Adam Rooney and mistake him for Matt Smith. I'm not a massive fan of Rooney but neither will I abuse him here or at BP (again negative vibes) until he has been given a solid chance.

McDonald has cemented his place today for me, and deserves a run in the side. Work-rate, movement and desire was great from Charlie Mac all 93mins. As for who partners him it's up for grabs. JCH needs to have a bigger impact off the bench to deserve a run (I know if didn't come on today before anyone starts), DP is a little too lightweight despite some fantastic movement (improved after HT today) and Rooney is still to fully impress. Against Preston I would again pair DP and CM and see if we can get a good understanding between the pair, although I can see LJ giving JCH a start. I hope he doesn't meddle too much with the line-up & am looking forward to seeing more of Winchester at RB, especially when fully match-fit.

Thought it was a small step in the right direction, turgid stuff for opening 20-25 minutes, started to play some football after that and looked decent.

They never had a sniff until the goal, momentum was with them after that though so on balance a point each was fair enough.

Dayton ineffective on wing again, needs to play centrally IMO.

Struck me today how small a side we are, centre halves excepted - size is not the be all and end all but do think we need some height/presence in centre mid and up front.

Batt is everything we'd love JCH to be.... He was a beast, and rapid!

And yes, Rooney isn't Matt Smith - he needs better service. The same service as the strikers that started the game! But unfortunately when he came on we were amid our worst spell of the game; worryingly, he couldn't change that. JCH would in theory be more of an impact sub, but has he produced that when he's come on... LJ might have thought Rooney was champing at the bit - it just didn't happen. I'd stick with the front two that started today.

Just for the record, McDonald didn't hit the post with that six-yard swivvel shot. It was sailing right into the corner and their defender on the line stook his foot out in reaction - it hit it plum and rebounded away from goal; just our luck, but great reactions.

We need to learn how to play to Rooney's strengths. It's brainless booting it up to his head - he's clearly not that sort of player.

Glory hallelujah, some sense at last. Rooney is not a target man and expecting him to play well as one is clearly brainless. Unfortunataly all the strikers we've brought into the club during the close season are very similar and IMO it was a big mistake not signing a target man.

Thought Dayton had a good game....! He wasn't effective on the wing precisely because he was barely there; he was coming in to play centrally whereever possible and link-up with the front players. He was invovled in all the neat passing moves building up to when we scored.

Two points dropped - we need to put some of these chances away, no point bossing possession if we can't finish.

And they shouldn't have been allowed to get in the position to score the contentious goal. Why the hell didn't Smith tackle him on the half way line, or at least put some sort of challenge in? Instead he's allowed to sprint half the way up the pitch unchallenged whilst we stand off and watch.

Orient had one chance and took it. That's why they're top of the league and we're not. Thought Macdonald was superb today, but how many times has he hit the woodwork this season? Can count at least four...

Played well today, but we just don't know how to win. Play well, we don't win; Play badly we don't win.

Thought it was a small step in the right direction, turgid stuff for opening 20-25 minutes, started to play some football after that and looked decent.

They never had a sniff until the goal, momentum was with them after that though so on balance a point each was fair enough.

Dayton ineffective on wing again, needs to play centrally IMO.

Struck me today how small a side we are, centre halves excepted - size is not the be all and end all but do think we need some height/presence in centre mid and up front.

Disagree with that, thougt Dayton played well today, looked most likely for the first 15/20 minutes, took some big hits and carried on trying to get in their faces, did well.

Did we play 5 at the back today?

I thought that was what we going to do when i saw the line-up.

But, it was definately 4-4-2 from start to finish.

Thinking back on it, i think we let them back in when Danny P went off; as we lost the link from midfield and up top. Shame...feeling disappointed at dropping points against the league leaders.

Didn't go today but by all accounts a good performance.

Will the knee jerk reaction lot just realise this will take time, LJ clearly knows his football , and has come unto a tough job .

People seem surprised that wes can be quality at this level , he was magnificent at times in his first year, we need to stick by players rather than write them off after some bad form.

Well done the boys!!

Really didn't want to come on here bemoaning our luck - again. But their goal was another story of misfortune for us. Another terrible refereeing decision has cost us a huge win.

First half we were fantastic. Wesolowski was everywhere, Philiskirk linked well with MacDonald and Dayton is becoming our go-to man in midfield - all of our attacks seem to come through him, he's a very classy player who makes runs behind the defence worthy of being a striker. I'm a big fan. However, we still should've scored more with some great chances i.e. Philis' free header and McD's shot that hit the post. We've got to put them in the back of the net.

Their goal really messed with our heads. The players weren't the same from then on and I'm pleased we managed to avoid conceding another because it was becoming nervy.

Kusunga started nervy but he got stronger as the game progressed. Winchester composed, still needs a bit of fire in his game but there's something to build on. Would like Oxley to avoid kicking it to striker's heads when, again, they aren't nearly tall enough to compete with the opposition CBs.

It was great to see two good teams play some nice football today in an entertaining match. Pleased with our grit and can honestly say that definitely was 2 points dropped due to bad luck. It will change.

Batt changed the game

Mills, wes, smith, grounds and the work rate of philliskirk all deserve a mention.

I feared the worst when Winchester came on but he did really well.

Not convinced by kasunga and rooney was crap when he came on.

Overall pleased with the performance but we needed an early goal in the second half to kill them off.

Special mention to the ref who was our 12th man in the first half but gave us naff all in the second!

Oh and Orient looked nothing like an unbeaten side. Ordinary at best

I too thought Dayton was excellent today. 1 too many kicks / whacks took its toll on him, and he was hobbling as he went off. Teams are trying to kick him out of games, and its working.

I thought either JCH or Millar was the option to replace him, over the unfit Montano.

Wes has done that before, no-one should be surprised at him producing a performance like that. But - i know i've already said this, but he really was excellent today, top draw individual performance.

Massive improvement from the boys after recent weeks, really pleased with a point against top of the league! Onwards and upwards!

Why are you pleased with a home point against Leyton Orient for Christs sake?! How far have we fallen, how bad have things got that people think a point against Leyton Orient is a good result?!

They were :censored:, we dominated another game & couldn't win it!!

Another 2 points pissed up the wall.

Why are you pleased with a home point against Leyton Orient for Christs sake?! How far have we fallen, how bad have things got that people think a point against Leyton Orient is a good result?!

They were :censored:, we dominated another game & couldn't win it!!

Another 2 points pissed up the wall.

If we judge teams on reputation then why should we even bother trying to improve ourselves?

They got a goal that wasn't a goal. It was offside and everyone knew it.