Wilshire - Januzaj shouldn't play for England

Wilshere is wrong - but I would draw the line that if you're going to play for England you need to either have an ancestral relationship or spent a decent proportion of your childhood here. Something sits entirely uncomfortably about PL sides buying players at 16 and them sitting tight not playing international football for a few years so we can have them on the grounds our domestic sides could afford them.

The slobbering over Januzaj is doing my head in anyway - he's played three bloody games. How's Macheda getting on?

Wilshere is correct.

Set this precedent and you'll get the FA encouraging, or at least giving an excuse for, Premier League clubs to go out to buy foreign talent, the younger the better, instead of play and develop the English lads.

Unfortunately, an international sport is bound to bring nationalism. When England cricket were playing badly all the talk was of bringing in more English players and questioning the foreign lads. I'm sure that would happen again with the inevitable failure of our national team.

Also, why would he choose to play for England when Belgium have a miles better team for the future?

England's problem is the same as it has been for a long time. Our best young players move to big clubs after massive media over-hype and rot on the bench, stunting their development. A player who I believe is doing it correctly and will be a future star for England is Will Hughes from Derby. He's a brilliant young player and as long as he continues to get first team football every week he'll be one of the centre-midfielders in the country eventually.

Edited by Mullet

For Januzaj to play for England. The Welsh, Scottish and NI FAs will all have to agree as they made an agreement that the 5 year residency rule only applied when the players went to school (pity it came too late for that part Sierre Leon Welshman from down the road). I can't see the Celts agreeing to let England have a player that could end up playing against one of them.

As far as I'm concerned its a non-issue, but I wonder what Wiltshire had to say if Arteta was now playing for England?

For Januzaj to play for England. The Welsh, Scottish and NI FAs will all have to agree as they made an agreement that the 5 year residency rule only applied when the players went to school (pity it came too late for that part Sierre Leon Welshman from down the road). I can't see the Celts agreeing to let England have a player that could end up playing against one of them.

As far as I'm concerned its a non-issue, but I wonder what Wiltshire had to say if Arteta was now playing for England?

In fairness it's only a gentleman's agreement so the FA could feasibly do what they want. They shouldn't, but they could.

:censored: me!, Seems it's some sort of a crime to be English these days.

Far from it. The crime is Wilshire being too stupid to keep his mouth shut.

Saying Januzaj shouldn't play for England because he came here in his late teens, has no association to England through family and clearly isn't that fussed about playing for England - makes sense.

Saying that if you're not born here you're not English is misguided, bordering on the nationalist claptrap the EDL/BNP asshats come out with. That's not to suggest he as any association with them, I don't know, just that his terminology implies he might. For a boy looking to sell his soul to Nike/Adidas/whoever that's not smart - it could cost him a lot of money!

Saying Januzaj shouldn't play for England because he came here in his late teens, has no association to England through family and clearly isn't that fussed about playing for England - makes sense.

Saying that if you're not born here you're not English is misguided, bordering on the nationalist claptrap the EDL/BNP asshats come out with. That's not to suggest he as any association with them, I don't know, just that his terminology implies he might. For a boy looking to sell his soul to Nike/Adidas/whoever that's not smart - it could cost him a lot of money!

But he didn't say that at all. Or anything remotely like that.

He said:

"The only people who should play for England are English people."

At no point did he elaborate as to what he considers makes an English person an English person. He wasn't asked that. He was asked whether or not foreigners should be allowed to play for England.

He is getting damned for not going into detail about an incredibly detailed and nuanced argument about International eligibility, but the point he was making was fairly sensible and correct... even if he did have to resort to using sterotypes about our inability to do anything in football other than tackle and show passion, the daft racist!

He is getting damned for not going into detail about an incredibly detailed and nuanced argument about International eligibility, but the point he was making was fairly sensible and correct... even if he did have to resort to using sterotypes about our inability to do anything in football other than tackle and show passion, the daft racist!

I completely agree, that's the point I am trying to make. He's made a comment which is bordering - not is, but is bordering - on being the kind of nationalist crap the BNP/EDL come out with and thus he's getting in to a very complex debate with a lack of forethought and nothing to gain.

He needs to back away or go balls out basically.

I completely agree, that's the point I am trying to make. He's made a comment which is bordering - not is, but is bordering - on being the kind of nationalist crap the BNP/EDL come out with and thus he's getting in to a very complex debate with a lack of forethought and nothing to gain.

He needs to back away or go balls out basically.

No it isn't, not at all. He is sat in a press conference, and he is asked a question and he answers it. What is he supposed to do, other than refuse to do press conferences? They ask him a question to get a soundbite. He provides it. And then his soundbite is turned it to something which is blatantly isn't.

What he said is nationalistic, but its not nationalistic crap. And he is supposed to be nationalistic. He is in a pre match press conference for an international game, where he is playing for his national team.

Its international football. Where one nation competes against another. Its a qualifier for a tournament where the aim of the tournament is to find out which country can produce the best team of people of that nationality. Not which country can import the best players from around the world to produce the best team. Now the world has changed, and people move around a lot more, so what constitutes a persons nationality has also changed. But nobody knows what Jack Wilshere's view on this is, as that wasn't the question he was asked.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. (Apart from the tackling bit.)

It's no wonder footballers are dull as dishwater and never say anything interesting, as when one does offer an opinion this is the kind of crap they have to put up with.

Guest Scratch2000uk

He didn't even mention his name, It's misguided because you have a differing opinion?

It's all the PC claptrap that makes people afraid to be proud to be English, Being a proud Englishman and wanting playes to be English, somehow puts you in the catergory of being a member of the EDL/BNP? ffs :petesake:

England's South African-born cricketer Kevin Pietersen ‏on Twitter: "Jack Wilshere - interested to know how you define foreigner...? Would that include me, Strauss, Trott, Prior, Justin Rose, Froome, Mo Farah?

I'd like to know what Jack Wilshere thinks an all. Because a lot of people seem to have decided that he thinks it is anyone born outside of England, without him ever saying as much publicly.

Guest Scratch2000uk

It has always impressed me how inventive this board can be when it comes to finding something else to argue about following a victory.

Aye, all Rummy's fault innit.

I think the press have made a lot out of this in fairness.

Under the current rules, I could play for either Eire or Northern Ireland, yet have never set foot in either country. To me, a person who spends a significant amount of their life in, contributes to, pays taxes and becomes naturalised in England, should have a better claim to play for England, than I do for Eire/Northern Ireland.

A lot of people have been comparing Januzaj to Mo Farah.

Firstly, it's ridiculous as Farah's dad is British, however, even if he wasn't, I'd be fine with somebody like Farah being eligible for England if he'd come here at age 8, grown up here, gone to school here etc.

Yes his blood and parentage would be Somalian, not English but, he'd have grown up "English", he'd be an English citizen, he'd be/seem as English as all his mates, you'd like to think he'd "feel" English and be proud to pull on his adopted countries shirt (not that many of our current crop seem to be).

Coming here at age 16 specifically to sign for Man Utd, or any other football team (but especially Utd) is completely different.

Pietersen (like the media) is being a dick about it aswell - don't most of the South African names he's trawled out have indisputable links to England/the UK through parents or grandparents?

If Januzaj wants to play for England (and do we actually know if he wants to?) I wouldn't want somebody who'd reject his Belgian, Turkish, Kosovan, Albanian roots so readily anywhere near my national team.

I've got a feeling Dyke might be planning some kind of England FC with the FA taking United's trafficking in kids to sinister new levels.

Edited by HarryBosch