A twitchy afternoon at Boundary Park and an early morning chat with Iain Dowie

We throughly deserved the win but it was an extremely nervy afternoon at God's Green Acre. We started brightly with Joseph MIlls and Danny Philliskirk testing Carlisle's custodian from long range. Yet again the build up play was superb, with the final ball letting us down time and again. It was looking like one of those afternoon's where we would need a break if we were to get our just desserts. And we got just that, in the form of a (generous) penalty decision and the hardworking Adam despatched via Gillespie's hand. There should have been another penalty shortly before half-time when the impressive Millar on for the unlucky (injured) Charlie MacDonald saw his run ended cynically by the Carlisle defender. One or two of the Cumbrians' starting XI were treading a fine line - none more so than Mark Beck, managing to get himself booked for his third cynical foul within the opening few minutes then proceeded to lead a charmed life, with foul after foul not even warranting a free kick from the erratic Mr Heywood. Beck must have been the most relieved man in the ground when he finally left the pitch late on to be substituted rather than to go for an early shower. Carlisle should have been level right on half-time when Amoo with the simple task of nodding the ball in on the goal-line, managed to miss spectacularly. There was some speculation he was offside but I was too busy laughing. Offisde or not it was a miss of epic incompetence.

The second half saw Latics go more into their shell, as the importance of the result (and possibly the clean sheet) dawned on the players with Danny Philliskirk in particular struggling to have the impact he had had in the first half. Adam was still full of running though and matched his hardworking performance at Deepdale. Kirk Millar proved to be a continual outlet and had an excellent 70 minutes or so. Carlisle did threaten late on and Oxley made a great one handed save from a close range header where he appeared to be going the wrong way but got enough on it to keep it out before the ball was cleared. It all got too much for serial :censored:-house Graham Kavanagh - sent from the touchline late on. The nerves continued from our young lads and holding the ball in the corner when the board had not even gone up for Injury Time was perhaps not the best idea and one that was as frustrating as it was understandable. Five more nervy minutes of injury time passed before the win was confirmed.

Oxley - His late save was brilliant and earned us an extra two points. 7

Kusunga - Gets better every time I see him and some sublime footwork in the first half saw him gallop free down the right. Dominant in the air 7

Tarky - Another good afternoon for him. 7

Grounds - Steady afternoon, still gives the ball away too much. But still better as a CB 6

Mills - His best game yet for me, good in both halves, A real threat when bombing on. 8

Dayton - A couple of decent runs, but a quieter afternoon in an offensive sense. 6

Wes - New improved Wes looking to get forward much more. Dropped deeper later on, but the lead had to be protected. 7

Smith - His best game for weeks. Pushed on a bit more than recently. 7

Philiskirk - Beginning to grow into that 'Baxter' type role. First-Half was excellent, uses the ball well. Thought he dropped deeper 2nd Half but when on the ball is a great outlet and rarely wastes possession. 8

MacDonald - Injured and withdrawn before he really got into the game. Held the ball up well as usual. 6

Adam - Whatever the boss said to him, it has had the desired effect. He's now looking more and more like a proper 'Number 9'. his lack of pace is still a concern but his work ethic over the last couple of games cannot be faulted. 8

Subs:

Millar - As good a game as I've seen him have. An outlet from the moment he came on, and unlucky not to finish with a couple of goals. Couple of cracking crosses that deserved better too, ran all day and my MOM. 9*

Clarke- Harris - Not on long enough for a rating

All in all it is a massive result. We have built on a very good night at Preston and seen out a nervy last 20 minutes or so without TOO much drama. I still feel the manager needs to pick an XI and barring injuries stick with it for a period of time. Players' confidence grows the more minutes they play. More importantly, that is now consecutive clean sheets as well as the wins so today was double tonic for everyone concerned. Hopefully we can now begin climbing the table and we have now only lost one in the last 5 and have only conceded three goals in those five games. We can now go to Wolves now with the pressure off a bit and the big pitch there may well suit us and given our record there, we may well surprise a few people.

Oh and I bumped into Iain Dowie in Costco this morning, he's glad the stand is coming to fruition and pleased that Danny Philliskirk is finally getting a chance at a club. He's surprised Johnson hasn't taken on an experienced Number 2 yet. Pleasant 15 minutes or so in his company.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, we all have different opinions and call things on personal sight. Would just like to see him take greater care of the ball after-all he is full back by trade. BUT today was a nervier afternoon than most given it was 8 weeks since our last league win...

Fair assessment except for grounds who I thought was easily better than a 6

Ground was MOTM for me passed it well which is my usual critcism of him and won everything in the air. Also a great clearence after Oxs save

MIllar worked hard 2 decent crosses and one good shot but although i want him to come good im not conviced and we didnt hold the ball late when he was on the pitch unless he plays off a target man i cant see him becoming a full time forward which Johnson wants him to be his work rate is good but there something of a headless chicken about him as well. He has a bit of ability but im not sure he can use it consistantly.

Danny P had a good first half

Defence all played well

Edited by bluehobbit

Oh and I bumped into Iain Dowie in Costco this morning, he's glad the stand is coming to fruition and pleased that Danny Philliskirk is finally getting a chance at a club. He's surprised Johnson hasn't taken on an experienced Number 2 yet. Pleasant 15 minutes or so in his company.

Did he go hard or go home ? :P

".We can now go to Wolves with the pressure off a bit and the big pitch there may well suit us and given our record there, we may well surprise a few people."

The pitch at Wolves is not very big, it is in fact smaller than ours!

BP 110yds x 74yds

Mol 109yds x 70yds