What are your Latics moments you'll never forget?

I was having a discussion the other day about the joys (and otherwise) of supporting Latics which led to me thinking about the highlights of my twenty- four years watching us.

What are your top 5 (in order) moments watching Oldham? I am talking about specific moments, not games. What will live with you forever. To give it context, please include what year you started going to games.

It was a very difficult one and I had to leave some amazing memories out such as the final whistle against United in 93 and the third goal against Liverpool last season but here’s what I have come up with:

1. Neil Pointon’s goal at Wembley. Without doubt the most mental I have ever gone at a game. We were going to the FA Cup final. I’ll say no more about what happened next aside to say that my worst moment watching Latics also took place that day.
  2. The moment Neil Redfern’s penalty hit the back of the Sheff Wed net. Just amazing scenes
  3. Matt Smith’s equalizer against Everton last year. The timing of it made it something that will live in my memory forever.
  4. Darren Beckford’s goal against Bolton to send us to Wembley. Not sure how this is only at number 4.
  5. Robbie Simpson’s goal at Anfield. Seeing us one up at Anfield as a League one side - Fantastic. Sadly I can’t compare it to seeing us one up at Anfield in 1991 as I wasn’t there.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a discussion the other day about the joys (and otherwise) of supporting Latics which led to me thinking about the highlights of my twenty- four years watching us.

What are your top 5 (in order) moments watching Oldham? I am talking about specific moments, not games. What will live with you forever. To give it context, please include what year you started going to games.

It was a very difficult one and I had to leave some amazing memories out such as the final whistle against United in 93 and the third goal against Liverpool last season but here’s what I have come up with:

1. Neil Pointon’s goal at Wembley. Without doubt the most mental I have ever gone at a game. We were going to the FA Cup final. I’ll say no more about what happened next aside to say that my worst moment watching Latics also took place that day.
  2. The moment Neil Redfern’s penalty hit the back of the Sheff Wed net. Just amazing scenes
  3. Matt Smith’s equalizer against Everton last year. The timing of it made it something that will live in my memory forever.
  4. Darren Beckford’s goal against Bolton to send us to Wembley. Not sure how this is only at number 4.
  5. Robbie Simpson’s goal at Anfield. Seeing us one up at Anfield as a League one side - Fantastic. Sadly I can’t compare it to seeing us one up at Anfield in 1991 as I wasn’t there.

It's a tough one this as so far there's 27 1/3 seasons to choose from. Most seasons drift along and have the odd stand out moment but nothing that you will say will live long in the memory. Then there's my first 7 or 8 seasons filled with moment after moment, I was spoiled rotten then there's rogue years like 02/03, 06/07 and last season.

1. Have to agree, Pointon's effort hitting the net was absolutely amazing. For fleeting moments we were in the FA Cup Final, and destined to play in Europe. No way were we going down, It was surreal, mocking the reds standing on our seats singing 'Always Look on the Bright side of life'. I still haven't got over what happened next. And I still feel sick whenever I see that :censored: Eric Idle.

2. Matt Smith's equaliser v Everton it is my moment of the last 19 years - simple as.

3. JJ making it 2-0 at Swindon April 2004 - against the odds a club had climbed off it's arse and all but survived with a team of old men, crocks, kids and loanees.

4. February 1993 Neil Adams' late equaliser at Everton 2-0 down after 87 minutes and the performance had been abject - somehow we rescued a point we scarcely deserved she his volley hit the net it was a priceless moment. Looking back it was the catalyst for Premier League Survival and without it we would not have despatched the Champions Elect 10 days later.

5. Beckford at Bolton was a pure gift in an abject game. The goal happened in slow motion it was privilege to be there that day given how scarce tickets in the away end were.

There's many more and plenty more than I thought from what I deem to be a nightmare tenure at this level too. Perhaps another thread of your top five moments from the League One years? I'm sure there'll be a greater cross-section of opinions....

Edited by oafcprozac

1. Smith's equaliser against Everton

2. MacDonald's goal against Everton (Can we play Everton more often?!)

3. Simpson's goal at Anfield - was tough choice between his & Warbara's, Simpsons won because it silenced a stunned Anfield after we battered them for the 30 minutes!

4. Furman's v Notts County - One of the best goals I've witnessed at BP!

5. Vernon v City - Again, couldn't believe we was beating a prem team...

Most of them recent due to not being born in the glory years and not really remembering most games until 2006 onwards...

- Ian Marshall's double at Ipswich to send us up.

- Ian Marshall's hat-trick at Wolves on the opening day of the same season.

- Singing 'We are Premier League' to Stoke in the FA Cup replay at the Victoria Ground on a cold dark midweek in 1994 after Darren Beckford had put us 1-0 up, which was in response to them singing 'Going down' for the full first half an hour.

- Latics 6 West Ham 0

- Andy Ritchie's first against Arsenal in 1989!

- Mike Cecere putting us in front in the 1987 play off S/F. Other than the aforementioned equaliser at Wembley in 1994, my 2nd worst moment happened not long after.

- 'Please Joe, Don't Go' on the scoreboard.

- For Christ's sake, having a scoreboard!!!!!!

- Nick Henry's goal at Villa Park in 1993.

- The final whistle and pitch invasion as we beat Southampton 4-3 a week later.

- Hell, we even beat Liverpool [including Barnes, Rush et al] 3-2 inbetween.

- Beating Liverpool 3-2 [again] last season.

- The first game at Boundary Park back on grass was Latics 3 Chelsea 0.

- Andy Ritchie's 94th minute equaliser at Southampton in 1990. OK, I wasn't at this game.... I had it on a portable wireless that was crackly and grainy.... but I can recall the hairs on my neck standing up....!!!

- Ian Marshall's header at Goodison in 1990. Rick Holden's cross was perfect. He could do with teaching a few of our lads now how to do it....!!!!

- Earl Barrett putting us 1-0 up at Maine Road in the 1990 FA Cup S/F

- Ian Marshall's equaliser at Maine Road in the 1990 FA Cup S/F.

- Roger Palmer's equaliser at Maine Road in the 1990 FA Cup S/F.

- Roger Palmer's hat-trick at Maine Road in 1987.

- Here's one for the purists.... Roger Palmer's second half hat-trick at Gay Meadow, having been 2-0 down in the late eighties? Exact year escapes me.

I love my football club.

This is an impossible task

many many latics memories simple reduce me to tears

Standing behind the goal at villa park when the goal went in that set the dream of staying up In motion

Beckfords goal at the proper Bolton ground bloody wonderful

Beating man city while sitting in their main stand at main road leaping out if my seat and hugging my dad we looked round and ....sat down!

Perhaps the win against Southampton to stay up - I remember standing on my seat wobbling grabbing the poor girl next to me she fell I didn't!!!!! All of of these I was with my dad who has now died

The goal at anfield last year when I was with my boys wishing my dad was with us!! I just cried

Edited by 4oakslatic

1 neil redfearns penalty v sheff wed 1991

2.Neil Pointons goal v Man utd 1994

3 League cup final 1990 just seeing Latics walk out at Wembley

4 Maurice Whittle goal v York away 1974 ( thousands of Latics fans that day took hours to get out of York that day)

5. 6-0 v West Ham and wishing my dad was alive to see it

5. Going to Huddersfield in 2006/2007 (I think?) and battering them 0-3. We packed out the away end and were raucous throughout. A classic, classic away day.

4. Gary McDonald, Everton 2008. No explanation needed.

3. I'm terrible with years but when we beat Millwall on the opening day of I think the 2008/2009 season. I took a Tottenham supporting mate to the game and to this day he says it was the best match he's ever been to.

2. Carlisle away when Chris Taylor scored his first goal for the club having just signed a five year deal. Why this moment? He ran to the crowd to celebrate and hugged me first. His first Latics goal was celebrated with me before anyone.

1. The final whistle against Liverpool last season. One of the most famous and decorated club teams in the world walking off the Boundary Park pitch humbled.

I :censored:ing love Oldham Athletic.

every moment that has ever gave me goosebumps watching the latics... how many united fans my age (16) can say they've had that feeling because of pure disbelief!!!! i love my club, couldn't be more happy im not a glory hunting bastard... thanks dad i guess

1. 93rd min equaliser away at Southampton by stitch

2. Graeme sharps 2nd goal at Maine road when we beat city 2-1

3.neil Adams goal v man utd ( nearly passed out after mental lookers paddock celebrations)

4. Beckfords goal at Bolton in fa cup quarter final ( stood in the Bolton end on my own celebrating like a loony, then making a swift exit)

5.bradford away in the late 80s when some other fans came in our end (possibly Carlisle iirc) and started battling with the Latics fans and seeing my dad defending Latics and of course me. :censored: myself at the time but a fond memory now of early life as a tic!

Been going since mid 80s and if I answer this question again tomorrow it will no doubt be five different answers!

See how busy I am over the next few weeks but I reckon I could do a hundred of these with caption easily.......... perhaps we should do one of those TV programmes on Channel 5

Hundred Greatest Latics Supporting Moments?

Joe Royle's return would definitely be in there!

Porter's winner v Tranmere

Finishing my last lesson one day, making my back to the staff room to find 35 texts and 17 missed calls all gleefully informing me of Penney's demise

Conga in The Platt Lane

Ernie's goal at Grimsby

Frankie Bunn's winner at Villa Park

Ian Marshall's thunderbolt v Notts County

Stitch's equaliser at Southampton

The final whistle at Villa May '93 stood on the Holte End

Olney making it 2 in a minute v Liverpool

After supporting Latics for over 63 years, picking only five is extremely difficult. Putting them in order of priority is making it too difficult!

Anyway, I’ve settled for these five unforgettable moments associated with watching the lads:

Appearing in Oldham Magistrates’ court, with two of the Oldham Tinkers, as a witness in the Great Turnstile Swindle prosecution, after being made to go through the Chaddy End turnstile two at a time in 1959.

The 11-0 win against Southport on Boxing Day 1962 in the snow with Bert Lister scoring six goals and many of the crowd smoking their Christmas cigars.

The final whistle at Ipswich to signify promotion to the top flight in 1991.

The legendary Brian Clough returning to the BP dugout in advance of his Forest team for the second half, and then standing up and showing us a three nil score-line with his fingers when Latics fans chanted to ask him for the score. It was 1992 on the eve of my birthday.

Danny Standring's 'Sharp out!' centre-spot protest in 1997. Subsequently the Magistrate said that he had suffered so much being a Latics fan that he did not deserve additional punishment.

latics 6-0 huddersfield 1974 the day we were guaranteed promotion and what a way to do it for once not an anticlimax with latics

Anfield 1977 Alan Groves dumps Phill Neal England captain on his arse again after bamboozaling him with his skills closley followed by david shaws equiliser we were competing with THEBEST side in the world heaven

Mike cecares goal v leeds in the playoffs for a few mins we could dream i realy realy hate keith edwards

all six of Frankies goals against Scarboro nice to be there for a little bit of history

Nick Henrys screamer v Arsenal in line with it all the way in the chaddy just exploded

tricky Rickys goal no 4 in the great st valentines day massacre that was the moment i knew we were going to wembley the rest was just icing on the cake

seeing big joe leading out my team at wembley we were there in a proper final that sea of blue was just amazing

all of season 1990-91 a memory you can never take away from the first to the last just magnificent

Earl the pearl puts us 1-0 up at Anfield first game in division 1 finally we had arrived

that goal by Dissa Pointen we could dare to dream again i realy realy realy hate Mark Hughes

latics 1-0 citeah we had just taken apart KevinKeegans man city petty we didnt turnup v noblot in the next round

an Eyrsey special v QPR in the play offs i didnt dare dream was proved right

all three v leeds at elland road followed by super maccs goal at Goodison fantastic week to be a latics fan

last seasons cup run for one month we were the darlings of the press again plucky little Oldham the scourge of merseyside

Gary Mac vs Everton and Matt Smith's equaliser vs Everton are both well up there. I also have fond memories of Wayne Andrews scoring after a few seconds at Wigan when we packed out the JJB at their winning the league party (Easter Monday?).

please stop it.every choice will suffice.just gone thro a box of tissues-thats what it means.i am also a lancs cricket member and had the priveledge of being at taunton when lancs won the championship for the first time in 77 yrs.i am 60 plus,no steward could stop me running on to the field.latics and lancs-heaven.

Been supporting them since 1958 so....

Latics walking out at Wembley v Forest - never, ever expected us to get to Wembley

Kuqi's volley from a million miles out against Rochdale

Andy Ritchie's equaliser in added on time at Southampton in the cup

All eleven goals when we beat Southport 11-0