Baxter or Philliskirk

Baxter or Philliskirk  

137 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion who is the better player

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh. Played through injury for god knows how long, and was very very effective in the 4-1-4-1 that kept us up. Should have done more going forward, but I suspect that they weren't his instructions.

Maybe.

His less mobile replacement Kelly gets it forward or wide at most given opportunities though...

Yeah you are right. Wes running around was the reason were such a success the last few years, he carried our midfield running about working hard but doing naff all with the football.

Im suprised the top of league one Bristol City didnt pay money for him instead - wonder why it was Smith they signed and not Wes? funny that...

We had the debate months ago and clearly established that Smith was indeed better at passing the ball whilst also establishing that there is more to the sport than that particular skill.

You will only progress in the game though if you can use the ball. I will also argue he was better without the ball than Wes.

However its pointless as one will be in the championship next season showing he is the better of the 2 and Wes might be playing Oldham if they can get up and more importantly for him if he can get fit after a serious injury

In your opinion! Just like then I will tell you that Smith is and was (during that season) our best midfielder. A major reason we stayed up. Just like then a player like Wes is 10 a penny. We now have 2 better hard working players in midfield. I'd still have Smith in there.

Edited by palmer1

I think there's an argument for saying that Smith wasn't at his best for chunks of last season and if we had used him further up the pitch he could've been even better.

But he performed more often than not and when he played that deep midfield role we became very difficult to beat in large part down to him. I rate both Lockwood and Rachubka but their roles became so much easier because of Smith being able to win the ball on the floor in front of them. It's no coincidence that he has become integral to Bristol City playing that role.

In your opinion! Just like then I will tell you that Smith is and was (during that season) our best midfielder. A major reason we stayed up. Just like then a player like Wes is 10 a penny. We now have 2 better hard working players in midfield. I'd still have Smith in there.

Who was it who won all the player of the season awards last year, I can't remember...?

Feel free to spout that chestnut about Oldham fans only liking players who run about a lot if you wish :grin:

Who was it who won all the player of the season awards last year, I can't remember...?

Feel free to spout that chestnut about Oldham fans only liking players who run about a lot if you wish :grin:

Why would I want to state a fact like that mate! Its been the case for years! You know that otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Kids vote for player of the year. Carlo Corrazin used to win awards every month and he was :censored:e.Why would I take notice of that?

Anyone who thinks K Smith was our best player last season is deluded, most ability yes but for two or three months he was carried, injuries were blamed at the time but he was basically :censored:e, using the logic applied in some of this thread it would appear Grounds is a better player than both Wes and Korey as he has been turning out in the Championship this season, its unfair comparing Smith and Wes as they offer different strengths to a team but imo Wes won the player of the year award on merit, I'd go as far to say our current midfield could learn a little in the heart and desire department from him, shall we get back to discussing our latest crop of stars now.

Anyone who thinks K Smith was our best player last season is deluded, most ability yes but for two or three months he was carried, injuries were blamed at the time but he was basically :censored:e, using the logic applied in some of this thread it would appear Grounds is a better player than both Wes and Korey as he has been turning out in the Championship this season, its unfair comparing Smith and Wes as they offer different strengths to a team but imo Wes won the player of the year award on merit, I'd go as far to say our current midfield could learn a little in the heart and desire department from him, shall we get back to discussing our latest crop of stars now.

Good grief! Yes its unfair to compare Korey Smith with Wes because Korey had to stay in that defensive position because Wes was crap at defending.

He was crap at attacking too but we had nobody else to put in until he was released (to go to his natural level!) and we could replace him for free with Mike Jones!

Korey Smith will be in the Championsip next year together with Grounds and Chris Taylor and other ex players who we cannot now afford. Wes will not! QED

By the way did you think that Carlton Palmer should have played for England because he had long legs and was hard to get past? He was :censored:e too!