Baxter or Philliskirk

Baxter or Philliskirk  

137 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion who is the better player

The love in for Baxter is unreal. Particularly from a few on here that normally speak a lot of sense.

He was at tranmere. Why did no one else come in for him?

Then he had no club.

Then he signed for us- Where were the championship clubs then?

Why didn't a championship club match Sheffield United's offer? If he's THAT good?

If he was THAT good, are we seriously suggesting that the two top divisions scouting networks are so :censored: they missed out on this perceived lower league messi?

Good player, lovely touch, great vision.

Quite sulky, infrequently played for himself, went missing when he hadn't touched the ball for five mins.

Thanks for the goals. Next.

To suggest Danny P isn't fit to lace Jose's boots is just off the scale. Different players- but both have a lot to offer.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The love in for Baxter is unreal. Particularly from a few on here that normally speak a lot of sense.

He was at tranmere. Why did no one else come in for him?

Then he had no club.

Then he signed for us- Where were the championship clubs then?

Why didn't a championship club match Sheffield United's offer? If he's THAT good?

If he was THAT good, are we seriously suggesting that the two top divisions scouting networks are so :censored: they missed out on this perceived lower league messi?

Good player, lovely touch, great vision.

Quite sulky, infrequently played for himself, went missing when he hadn't touched the ball for five mins.

Thanks for the goals. Next.

To suggest Danny P isn't fit to lace Jose's boots is just off the scale. Different players- but both have a lot to offer.

If come May Philliskirk has bagged 15-20 goals and has had the same positive impact that Baxter made then there's a comparsion to be made.

At the moment his contribution amounts to a few good games in the cups and 1 league goal scored.

Nobody has gone that far though have they. Your perception is off the scale!

Re read the thread mate, quite a few have said a variation of. I don't have have a perception, I'm posting my opinion. Baxter- while being a good player isn't is as amazing as some make him out to be. An DP, while still having a lot to prove, could up end being very close to 15 goals Jose got- come the end of the season.

Re read the thread mate, quite a few have said a variation of. I don't have have a perception, I'm posting my opinion. Baxter- while being a good player isn't is as amazing as some make him out to be. An DP, while still having a lot to prove, could up end being very close to 15 goals Jose got- come the end of the season.

The Baxter love in is justified IMO some people can oversell and over criticise players on here but I think the appreciation of Baxter is justified he will be playing championship football within 3 years.

Some on this thread have said Baxter at times went missing in games people said that about Richie wellens. Baxter is the best player since wellens and in the following years as he rises up the leagues we will look back and appreciate that.

Danny p is currently on form our best forward and given time will play at the level above also. Let's not compare him to Jose just yet though.

The Baxter love in is justified IMO some people can oversell and over criticise players on here but I think the appreciation of Baxter is justified he will be playing championship football within 3 years.

Some on this thread have said Baxter at times went missing in games people said that about Richie wellens. Baxter is the best player since wellens and in the following years as he rises up the leagues we will look back and appreciate that.

Danny p is currently on form our best forward and given time will play at the level above also. Let's not compare him to Jose just yet though.

I wouldn't be sure about Baxter rising up the leagues, at the moment he's just a decent/good League 1 player, he might be able to catch a lower Championship club in time but much higher, not convinced. Edited by deyres42

I wouldn't be sure about Baxter rising up the leagues, at the moment he's just a decent/good League 1 player, he might be able to catch a lower Championship club in time but much higher, not convinced.

Don't forget he has time in his side he's what 21? For me what set him apart is his 360 vision he knew where every player on the pitch that's a gift very few players at this level have and even fewer at 21 aslong as he focuses on his football listens to the right people he will be upper championship level no doubt.

I wouldn't be sure about Baxter rising up the leagues, at the moment he's just a decent/good League 1 player, he might be able to catch a lower Championship club in time but much higher, not convinced.

Don't forget he has time in his side he's what 21? For me what set him apart is his 360 vision he knew where every player on the pitch that's a gift very few players at this level have and even fewer at 21 aslong as he focuses on his football listens to the right people he will be upper championship level no doubt.

In comparison to some of the current England players he's a shoe in for the World Cup finals. :grin:

Edited by BP1960

jose baxter was a good player... one of the best we've had here at boundary park in quite a few years - didn't win player of the season here for a reason though, he wasn't consistent! sometimes he was awfully crap other times he was ridiculously good - rather have a player like philliskirk who's been consistently good up to now! i voted for baxter though as like many have said philliskirk isn't proven

jose baxter was a good player... one of the best we've had here at boundary park in quite a few years - didn't win player of the season here for a reason though, he wasn't consistent! sometimes he was awfully crap other times he was ridiculously good - rather have a player like philliskirk who's been consistently good up to now! i voted for baxter though as like many have said philliskirk isn't proven

Ah yes he didn't win player of the season last season who won our player of the season last year and what happened to him?

Not since Paul warne won it in 06-07 has there been a bigger misjustice. That's not a dig at warne but we would have been nowhere near the play offs that season had it not been for wellens and porter. Baxter was a far more influential player than croft was last season.

Ah yes he didn't win player of the season last season who won our player of the season last year and what happened to him?

Not since Paul warne won it in 06-07 has there been a bigger misjustice. That's not a dig at warne but we would have been nowhere near the play offs that season had it not been for wellens and porter. Baxter was a far more influential player than croft was last season.

warne and croft both when wearing the blue shirt have 100% every game... with a bit of league one talent that's the main thing i go to watch - pride in the blue shirt and that's why both in my eyes would of got the award

warne and croft both when wearing the blue shirt have 100% every game... with a bit of league one talent that's the main thing i go to watch - pride in the blue shirt and that's why both in my eyes would of got the award

Define effort?

For me this is a commonly mis understood is the striker who goes round chasing the ball around making more of an effort than the the striker who makes the effort to get on the end of crosses and get in positions where he scores. Any manager would choose the second option because that's the striker who will get you wins and that's what the manager will be instructing his strikers to do.

Croft only gave the required effort after his contract was paid up by derby and the phone didn't ring he certainly wasn't making the effort to get in condition in the first 6 months he looked like a circle with feet. Warne gave 100% effort all the time I won't knock any player for that however I appreciate output more than perceived effort. Baxter won us more points than croft.

We were in a relegation battle and he was doing Panenka pens, not on. It was Matt Smith's goals in that 3 game run at the end that kept us up, not Baxter.

Matt smiths goals would have been academic had Baxter not been our player last season we would have been down before then. Baxter was our best and most influential player last season can't believe their is even a debate to be had here.

I look forward to watching us this season with the football we sometimes play.

But not as much as I did in anticipation of Baxter doing something special.

I don't get modern football fans & their contrived realism.

Dream. #amf

I look forward to games alot more now than any time that Baxter played for us. Last season was :censored:e, (Apart from the cups, obviously)

We were in a relegation battle and he was doing Panenka pens, not on. It was Matt Smith's goals in that 3 game run at the end that kept us up, not Baxter.

But without the 10 points Baxter earnt us with his goals (not counting any goals he created but someone else scored), we would have been down before those 3 games.

Baxter kept us up last season #FACT.

Couldn't agree more Kieran. That's exactly where i'm at. I appreciate flair players as much as the next man but, in the 24 years i've been regularly attending games, my favourite Latics players have been the ones who ran their bollox off.

My favourite ever Latics player is Nick Henry, by an absolute country mile, followed by Paul Rickers. Crofty and Warney are also right up there. I fully appreciate that we've had better players but giving 100% every single game goes a long way with me.

Jose Baxter is a very talented player, no doubt, but he looked sulky and half interested a lot of the time.