Baxter or Philliskirk

Baxter or Philliskirk  

137 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion who is the better player

I look forward to watching us this season with the football we sometimes play.

But not as much as I did in anticipation of Baxter doing something special.

I don't get modern football fans & their contrived realism.

Dream. #amf

What does contrived realism mean. Is someone who disagrees with you?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt smiths goals would have been academic had Baxter not been our player last season we would have been down before then. Baxter was our best and most influential player last season can't believe their is even a debate to be had here.

Not disputing that, but in that 3 game winning run (Bury, Yeovil, Crawley) Matt Smith scored 3 vital goals (before people state the obvious I know Smith only shone from January and Baxter was consistent over the season), if not for that we would have been down. In those 3 games Baxter featured for 21 minutes against Crawley, that's it. I genuinely think that Baxter was overrated. Yes he kept us up but the rest of the squad was awful, the 4 teams that went down were 4 of the worst in recent years, they were dreadful. It's not because I'm 'bitter' I genuinely wish him the best of luck and thank him for the good times last season, but he's certainly no world beater. I hope he proves me wrong and bags himself a contract in the Championship minimum because he's a great lad and his heart is in it, which can't be said for a lot of young players these days.

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

Ah yes he didn't win player of the season last season who won our player of the season last year and what happened to him?

Not since Paul warne won it in 06-07 has there been a bigger misjustice. That's not a dig at warne but we would have been nowhere near the play offs that season had it not been for wellens and porter. Baxter was a far more influential player than croft was last season.

Porter suffered a massive drop in form in the 2nd half of the season whereas Warne was consistent throughout. Had Porter's purple patch been the latter half the season, then he probably would have been player of the year but then we may have provided some competition for Blackpool. Wellens was a massive player but I don't think he was player of the season.

Croft got the most assists last year and was pivotal in the 2nd goal against Liverpool and both goals against Everton at home. Baxter however, didn't really turn up in the 3 games against the Merseysiders. Again, Croft was consistently good over the 2nd half of the season, whereas Baxter played his better stuff earlier on. Had Baxter been playing well towards the end of the season, there is a good chance he would have got the trophy.

For me, Baxter was sublime at times and could change a game in a drop of a hat, you couldn't rely on him to do that though.

Philiskirk reminds me of Andy Ritchie with his positional play,control and even his physique .... I hope he enulates him in every way. I was disapionted Baxter left us and underwhelmed when Danny came in ... but for me I will choose the owner of a blue shirt .. JB is a 'piggy' now therefore Philly all the way (doesnt mean I wouldnt welcome JB back though)

You know what - that really is the issue with Jose - its the one we had with him here - where do you play him?

He's the type of player who you want out on the pitch; for his his undoubted ability - but where is he best going?

Upfront? He does lack pace; he isnt a work-horse forward, and he will always look to drop deep leaving a gap up there.

In midfield? He wanders around to try and find space, but as a result loses his position. He wasn't a particularlly good tackler, and he was very guilty of overplaying when in possesion or - on more than one occassion, actually stopping waiting for a whiltle that never ever was gojng to come. He left us exposed when playing CM.

His obvious position is inbetween the midfield and striker(s). BUT - having him in that role means you have to make it all about him. Formation, tactics and every passage of play has to be about him in that position.

At times - playing in that role & position, it made total sense to base it all about him. He grabbed games and was able to dictate from there. But - for me, too many games in that role & position, he didnt have the effect needed, they passed him by, and in doing so, it totally effected the teams play.

No question a quality player. No question at all.

But, sometimes it works better to have a team with players who can fit into a system of play and style that isnt dependant on 1 player alone.

I think we have that now with the squad we have.....we maybe didnt with Baxter here?

This...

Technique wise Baxter is fantastic - Physically he poor. He's no natural athlete, doesn't have great top speed or work rate for that matter and doesn't win anything in the air so he cant play as an out and out forward. If you play him center mid again he can be bullied out of it and his not a tackler

He plays best behind an out and out target man and if you can get him the ball 20 yards out hes a great striker of a ball.

As sly has said you kind have to play him as forward as you can but hes doesn't really fit any position ideally. Id much rather have a team of 11 that gels and works well rather than trying to force JB as good as he is into a team. I feel this season we are much balanced at the mo.

If you play him as a number 10 you don't have to build the entire team around and everything doesn't have to go through him when your playing a player like that most things usually do go through him because he's the best player. If Jose had stayed we would have easily found a place for him to play without compromising too much of anything going on around him.

we are talking about baxter, l league one player that cant catch at a bottom three club, you lot have watched dross for so long that anyone with an ounce of skill is the messiah, he wasn,t and won,t be, no championship will touch him, too many weaknesses, DP will WORK to improve and fit in, l think that come the seasons end we will be drooling about him

Re read the thread mate, quite a few have said a variation of. I don't have have a perception, I'm posting my opinion. Baxter- while being a good player isn't is as amazing as some make him out to be. An DP, while still having a lot to prove, could up end being very close to 15 goals Jose got- come the end of the season.

Cant be arsed! Mr Sinnot's negativity doesn't really register with me any more!!

Dont get me wrong, I really rate DP. He's farrrrrr from being a Baxter though.

We'll see if gets near Jose 15 goals. He needs 8 in 30 odd games.

Its not just goals scored though is it? If he creates as many too. And if he gives people that feeling that you got when Jose was playing. That feeling you get that something could happen, that gets you excited.

Seemingly a fair few people were not getting that feeling with Jose Baxter, and if they weren't getting it with him then they aren't going to get it. And for those people I feel really sorry because football must be a pretty boring.

Philliskirk seems a decent player. And I hope by the end of this season he has scored more than Baxter did for us, and created more. But when when he gets the ball, I don't get excited. I don't feel like he is going to do something special. And I felt that when Jose got the ball, because he had that in his locker.

Lets put it quite simply... Danny Philliskirk hasn't even got a song yet (not even people shouting "Philly! Philly!") Baxter had it after 2 half games. And if he signed back for us tomorrow, this poll would be 100% in Joses favour.

Baxter is a joy to watch.

Although our decent run of results does coincide with him leaving and DP being added to the starting line up.

Baxter leaving actually coincided with us not winning a league game until mid-October (6 games without a win). How much of a factor Baxter leaving was in that is doubtful though, as we did lose a lot when he was here.