Our youth system

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son plays for the academy at latics and at the induction evening tony philliskirk said he had attended a seminar run by the pfa and that latics is one of the best teams in the country for bringing through players via the academy/centre of excellence. The coaches my son has are great and have really made a big difference to my sons all round game

Is it the staff that have been poor or the club's ability to attract the right kids?

Why did we Paul scholes and Micah Richards not come through our ranks. If your a parent and had a talented child you would want to send them to the place that talent could be nurtured best 10 miles down the road we have 2 multi million pound academies to compete with.

It's also a desicion the club has to make. If we sold James tarkowski in January would you want us to sign a replacement for the first team or would you want that money going back into the youth team?

Overall I think our youth system does ok for a club our size in producing players. But if the club recieved inward investment then you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be ground improvements and new signings we would all be clamouring for and not investment in a youth academy.

Edited by GlossopLatic

one of my sons school friends was at our academy around 2002 he traveled from Irlam having turned down the chance to go to utd he was a very talented goalkeeper and was loving the almost one on one coaching he got here his game and confidance were coming on leaps and bounds .

then sadly came the summer of 2003 chris moore and all that during the confusion and troubles of the time he was " persuaded " to move to utd where he quickly sank into obscurity from being one of three keepers in his age group he was one of fifteen .he has told me he received less coaching and help and now at the age of twenty wishes he had stayed at latics but thats hindsight for you .

But we haven't produced anybody that's gone on to great things or made us decent money in years, if ever.

Hopefully the new lads involved will change this.

Trotman, Spencer, Philliskirk, Eardley have all made us decent money. If we had sold Taylor then he would off fetched around £500k, sold Eardley earlier we may of got more, Eaves went for a fair bit as well...

edit - we also rejected bids from Fulham for Mellor. Tarkowski will bring in quite alot as well when he is sold

Edited by RobOAFC

What's your view of decent money? The amount they went for is alot of money for a club of our size

Other similar sized clubs seem to get six figures for players as a matter of course.

It's not a new thing, we regularly got robbed going back as far as Irwin and Barrett. Older posters will probably tell us it goes back further than that

Edited by HarryBosch

Does it go deeper than the youth set up too?

Look at the number of players that were crap here or we never played them who've gone on to bigger things and/or commanded big fees - O'Grady, Davies, Higginbotham, Tierney....

Throw Dawson into the mix who someone here didn't fancy but within a year or so had gone and ripped it up at Rochdale and been sold for more than any of the players mentioned by Rob.

And Matt Smith was :censored: / then he was a world beater.

We've had a serious of managers blind to the importance of player development and unaware of how to use the strengths of what they've got.

Nowt wrong with our youth set-up. Look at the first team managers. They've been the problem.

Nowt wrong with our youth set-up. Look at the first team managers. They've been the problem.

Sums it up. Looks like we finally have a manager who can bring them through into the first team. No coincidence the likes of Tarkowski, Mellor, Millar etc are suddenly making more of an impact since Philliskirk started working closer with the first team & Johnson coming in.

And Matt Smith was :censored: / then he was a world beater.

We've had a serious of managers blind to the importance of player development and unaware of how to use the strengths of what they've got.

Maybe.

Johnson does seem to have an eye for signing a saleable asset aswell - I wouldn't be surprised if, eg, Korey Smith went for big money within a year or two.