Our youth system

Simple - involve them in reserve football and 1st team training. How many youth team players were involved in match day squads under Dickov last year? 1 - Chris Sutherland, due mainly to Croft blowing up after an hour. So far LJ has had 5 or 6 involved since he took over with a couple making debuts. This gives the lads a chance to up their game and the senior coaching staff the chance to assess them in the senior environment.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple - involve them in reserve football and 1st team training. How many youth team players were involved in match day squads under Dickov last year? 1 - Chris Sutherland, due mainly to Croft blowing up after an hour. So far LJ has had 5 or 6 involved since he took over with a couple making debuts. This gives the lads a chance to up their game and the senior coaching staff the chance to assess them in the senior environment.

Others now given a chance: Pritchard and Tomos Clarke in the first-team squad for Tuesday night at Molineux. That's now Bove, Truelove, Gosset, Cooper (gone now), Pritchard and Clarke all given squad places by Johnson. Good to see.

Edited by Mullet

Pleased to hear TP has got another contract.

I think Simon Cooper too has been a very good addition to the youth coaching setup as well. What with LJ using the youngsters more and having the youngsters learn the same systems and roles that the first-team use so they are better prepared when the time comes to setup I can see even more success being created in an already successful youth system.

One of my mates has just got the gig in charge of the Centre of Excellence from U12-16 and he reckons there is some quality coming through the ranks...

I think you are right Lee, many 15 and 16 year olds are already playing at under 18 level.

As much as I'd like future graduates to the first-team to come from Latics' own academy programme having been there from an early age, it will surely be a good thing for us that City and United's growing academies will churn out more quality youngsters, some of which will be released and therefore available for us to poach...

As much as I'd like future graduates to the first-team to come from Latics' own academy programme having been there from an early age, it will surely be a good thing for us that City and United's growing academies will churn out more quality youngsters, some of which will be released and therefore available for us to poach...

It's already a mixture of both Mullet, for example David Mellor came from Manchester United,

That interview with Corney and TP was great to listen to.

We might not be the most successful first team (there's an understatement) but I love the strength of identity that the two talk about in terms of the club's philosophies. Obviously finances dictate how realistic a vision can be, but so many of the values like offering opportunities to youngsters and minimal delusions of grandeur is pretty rare in football these days and I find it refreshing.

It's already a mixture of both Mullet, for example David Mellor came from Manchester United,

Did Jordan bove take a similar path?

This is where we have an opportunity. Those at United and city's academies will have been given a higher standard of coaching once released its upto us to give them that second chance.

Other similar sized clubs seem to get six figures for players as a matter of course.

It's not a new thing, we regularly got robbed going back as far as Irwin and Barrett. Older posters will probably tell us it goes back further than that

As far as I'm concerned that's just a lazy myth. Id we take Trotman, Spencer, Eaves and Philliskirk then there's no doubt that we got the best of those deals.

Irwin - maybe a bit under but he wsn't a top flight player at the time and I very much doubt that Everton fans think they got a bargain with Barrett.

As has been highlighted elsewhere in this thread very few Latics products have gone on to have long top level careers in recent years so why anyone thinks we shoudl get top dollar for them is a mystery to me.