Latics v Bradford post match reaction

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent game, point fair enough. Their strike force looked decent but sealed with reasonably well, Plummer looked a bit nervy but that's understandable, should have been sent off to be fair but so should has Hanson & their winger for diving twice so swings and roundabouts. Disappointed that we went into our shell a little and were very deep at times.

One thing I would say from this game and I've said before and will say it again is that Schmeltz is so very unaffective, Petrasso came on and did more that Schmeltz did the whole game, again. Has pace to burn but doesn't use it well enough at all, loses the ball constantly and his final product is woeful, I think he and possibly Montano are the only deadwood in the squad that we should replace.

Really enjoyed the game. Both teams had decent spells.

Good performance against an organised Bradford side.

Still far from convinced with oxley.

If we play like that evert week we'll do well against most sides in the division.

Oxley 5 - glued to his goal line, heart skips every timeta cross goes in the box.

Lanzoni 6 - struggled at times with the pace of reid.

Tarky 7 - thought he did well against Hanson apart from the loss of concentration towards the end.

Grounds 8 - wasn't sure of him at CB but changed my mind today, solid.

Plummer 6 - linked up well at times but was lucky to not to walk and sensibly subbed by LJ

schmeltz 8 - won us a fair few corners, few decent crosses

Smith 9 (MOM) - everywhere again and some of his passing was sublime (ignoring tje one towards the end he smashed out of play)

Wes 8 - warrior, typical tough wes but with a new sense of forward play.

Dayton 8 - didn't rate him before today thought he was a bit of a fair weather player but would have been my MOM if he didnt get injured!

Clarke-harris 7 - was having a bit of a nightmare and then BOOM what a finish tek a boo son! Tired more as the game went on.

Philliskirk 8 - some quality little touches and turns and didn't stop running for the 90mins.

Mellor 6 - did a job

Petrasso 7 - looked good and feckin rapid

Rooney 7 - won some flick ons and a few nice lay offs

That was a decent game, 1st half was really entertaining, you can see why Wells has so many goals in the 1st half they hit everything to Hanson to flick it on, even though their goal didn't come from that route it was a good finish from Wells, possibly handball in the build up. JCH what a finish, if the keeper had got in the way of that he could have ended up hurt. Thought our midfield pair were both immense today and mom could quite easily have gone to Wes. We looked the more likely to win the game as the match wore on, and Wells never had a kick in the 2nd half. A word for Petrasso, well played young man, after Tuesday I was critical of him, but he looked sharp and a danger every time he got the ball.

That was a decent game, 1st half was really entertaining, you can see why Wells has so many goals in the 1st half they hit everything to Hanson to flick it on, even though their goal didn't come from that route it was a good finish from Wells, possibly handball in the build up. JCH what a finish, if the keeper had got in the way of that he could have ended up hurt. Thought our midfield pair were both immense today and mom could quite easily have gone to Wes. We looked the more likely to win the game as the match wore on, and Wells never had a kick in the 2nd half. A word for Petrasso, well played young man, after Tuesday I was critical of him, but he looked sharp and a danger every time he got the ball.

'Possibly' handball, bollocks it was bloody handball, yet again poor ref and a linesman who should get to specsavers!

I would hate to watch Bradford 'hoofball' every week, no midfield. Gary Jones has lost it now, age has caught up with him.

Big fan of Sid normally, but he was piss poor today, Petrasso looked very good when he came on. A fair point.

We should all know by now that you have to give Sid some game time to get his decision making up to speed, a work in progress but very skilfull so I would stick with him! Petrasso did a nice cameo I agree.

'Possibly' handball, bollocks it was bloody handball, yet again poor ref and a linesman who should get to specsavers!

I would hate to watch Bradford 'hoofball' every week, no midfield. Gary Jones has lost it now, age has caught up with him.

Really, I thought Gary Jones had a good game for them, he made himself available for a pass everytime, and he was still running strong at the end.

Really enjoyed that today - really good game of football that was. 2 completely different styles of play on show, and it made for a intriguing match-up.

On the overall balance of play, i'd say a draw was fair. Along with their goal, they had the one that hit the bar and then tip over from Oxley, we had JCH's 1 on 1 that he should have done so much better with, and then shots from Dayton and Philliskirk.

They should have been down to 9 men really, Hanson should have gone - Weirdly Lanzoni did him a massive favour by getting right up. And Reid should have gone for 2 yellows; both for diving.

We should have been down to 10 also though - young Plumber was very naive and even though i thought his yellow was slightly harsh, on a booking already, he was so stupid to go in and make a challenge like that. Other ref's could well have produced the 2nd yellow for that.

Decent display from all really, but i though Weso was MoM - he was everywhere, and actually took the lead in driving us forward, as well as doing his usual great job of breaking up play and pressing & tackling.

Sid frustrates and excited in equal measures. There is lots to work with, but as a manager - he must be a nightmare as he does so much right, and then fecks it up with poor decisions.

Philliskirk & JCH is the strike partnership to continue with IMO, they compliment each other well and in Danny P, we have such a touch of class; has he actually given the ball away in the last 5/6 games?

Mike Petrasso's cameo was also impressive. Havent seen him before today, but from reports, was expecting that display. Positive, pacey and a real threat.

We are starting to click. And - dare i say it, but previous seasons' sides would have lost that.

We stood up to a very (very very very!) direct and well organised side, who all know their jobs and go about them well. It's pretty grim to watch week in, week out i'd guess, but it's effective.

We stood up to it and got a very decent point.

Progress is being made. And - its entertaining to watch it too.

Enjoyed that today!!

Bradford didn't play aimless hoofball, their play was well directed to effective players, and I thought Jones stood out in their midfield,

Edited by BP1960

A fair result IMO, it was played like a cup tie.

Felt for young Plummer, who looked mesmerised early on, he's probably never been in such a competitive game, not sure what Mellor has done wrong to be dropped, he looked very solid when he came on.

Petrasso looked a live wire, and if not cup tied he could start next Saturday.

Good games from the centre backs and central midfielders in particular today.