Today was just like the good old days

Not the halcyon days of cup runs or winning Championships, but the type of Lancashire/Yorkshire melting pot I was brought up on from about 1986 onwards. The atmosphere created from both sets of fans was pretty electric at times. Bradford started the stronger hiting the bar and forcing a very good tip over from Oxley before their lad controls with his hand catches us a bit flat footed with the early cross and Wells steals across Oxley to knock home. Thankfully we were quickly on terms with the ball won in midfield - and a cracking slide rule pass from Wes saw JCH finally do what he has been threatening all season and burst the net with one. He gave that ball a helluva dig and thankfully the netting was there to help avoid any serious injuries to our sheep worrying friends sat at the front of the RRE.

After the goals the game became a bit of a midfield battle, Bradford are a big strong side that perhaps thought they would come here nick a goal and bully us out of it. However, we've developed a resolve - a steeliness that means the lads play for each other. Although Kyel (who spelt his name like that?) Reid was a handful - and a blatant :censored:ing cheat who dived twice for penalties, we pressed hard and had more than our fair share of possession. We finished the half stronger with a flurry of set-pieces but 1-1 was fair at half-time.

Jones in particular stood out for them, Hanson was far from all that simply a big physical lump who was lucky not have walked in the first half. Typical of previous Parkinson sides that have graced BP they were happy with what they had, they forced another decent tip mover from Oxley but set-pices and diving wingers apart never really threatened. To be fair we struggled to fashion all out clear cut chances but perhaps caused more panic in the opposition box than our guests. Tarky headed one well wide, JCH mashed another one - catching it as well as he did his goal but without the direction. Adam made himself busy when he came on, and Petrasso was far more impressive than he had been at Gillingham and Shrewsbury - he looked a real handful. The game was a true blood and thunder Roses battle and was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon,. Bradford more than played their part too....

Oxley - Two good tip overs, came and claimed a couple of dangerous balls. 7

Lanzoni - One iffy moment when the winger got in behind far too easily 6

Tarky - Enjoyed his battle with Hanson and tbf probably just shaded it as the big #9 had a quiet afternoon 7

Grounds - Thought he was excellent all afternoon took control when needed 8

Plummer - Was ok, tried to push on, bit too keen to dive in and was subbed before he was sent off 6

Dayton - Looked a threat, final ball needed more purchase 7

Wes - Excellent, his sort of game kept the ball well, used it well and won it back. And bugger me an assist! 9

(My mom)

Smith - The midfield was a real battleground and he loved every minute of being in there. Tried to drive us forward, wish he'd practice jhis shooting! 7

Schmeltz - Will run and run, but the little end product. I think he's so much more effective as a sub against tired legs 6

Philliskirk - Understandably played a touch deeper and drifted onto the left when needed, grew as the game progressed and increasingly reminds me of Andy Ritchie in terms of his skill and ability to bring others into play. 7

JCH - Full of running, a slow start to the game but after his goal he was flying. So glad he finally smacked one of those thunderbolts he has been threatening and if he could learn to head a ball towards goal then he'd have it all. 8

Subs:

Mellor - Should have started at Left Back and steadied the ship when he came on 7

Adam - Full of running, put himself about 7

Petrasso - After looking so lightweight at Gillingham and Shrewsbury, his cameo was a great surprise. Looked quicker than he has done and caused Bradford problems. Pleasing to see. 7

Back to the atmosphere, it was great in the Chaddy End today - just like the good old days. There's a new atmosphere around the club, we may only be 14th but we have developed a steely resolve, we are no longer the push overs that used to crumble once we conceded first unlike under previous regimes. In our run of 7 games unbeaten we have gone behind three times yet come from behind to record positive results. Not losing is becoming a habit and It's a while since we've gone 7 unbeaten and that's only 2 defeats in 12. Long may it continue, particularly into our massive Cup week over the next 9 days or so.....

There has been a lukewarm response to the news announced at Half Time, but the announcement is a massive step forward. Simon Corney is now 100% committed to make this stand happen and those who still share doubts whether it will be built, it will be. Better still it is one of our own building it which will ensure no detail is left untouched and it will be a facility to be proud off when it opens to us, the great unwashed next year.

It won't happen over night, but the tide for me is changing both on and off the field, after years of 'we can't do because...' we now have a can do attitude slowly becoming the normal throughout the club and after many years of public criticisms it seems we are slowly getting things right on and off the field. Now it's up to us to demonstrate the togetherness we showed in the Chaddy End today more often and play our part in reversing the trend of the last 6 or 7 years or so. Spread the word, this team is worth watching....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVFO4Lg4v4&feature=youtu.be

Pre Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14PPpomdbjQ&feature=youtu.be

Goals

Edited by oafcprozac

Not the halcyon days of cup runs or winning Championships, but the type of Lancashire/Yorkshire melting pot I was brought up on from about 1986 onwards. The atmosphere created from both sets of fans was pretty electric at times.

I sat in the Main Stand Paddock and didn't hear the Chaddy End once.

Too busy listening to the moaners perhaps?

Surprisingly not. Whilst the volume in the home end was limited, the positivity was not. There was nothing but encouragement, which represents the general atmosphere and buzz around the club - refreshingly constructive.

Felt the atmosphere was decent today, not necessarily for the singing but there was a good edge to the game. Think the Bradford fans were the louder (when they did sing as they went quiet for large portions of the game) but that would be down to the RRE sounding much better and the Chaddy being crap for sound. I believe people that say it was loud in the Chaddy but I didn't hear much up in the Main stand upper.

Edited by Oafc88

You have to say their is a real feel good factor around our club at the moment people are starting to see progress both on and off the pitch I'm sure that the floating fans who went today are more likely to come back it was a decent game of football but more so the people can see Johnson's plan is coming together and people are starting to buy into it. Their was no shouts of "get it forward" today people understood that we will pass the ball and work openings by retaining possession.

Plus while this team has proved it can play a good passing game it's also proved in recent weeks that it won't be intimidated by physical sides I think we can mix it when necessary and grind out results.

While the stand alone won't galvanise the club and we would of hoped for a full redevelopment however it is a mahoosive step in the right direction

One thing I noticed today in the main stand paddock was, a lot less shouting for the players to "get it forward" every time we had possession. Maybe people are learning at last and starting to believe in what LJ is trying to achieve

One thing I noticed today in the main stand paddock was, a lot less shouting for the players to "get it forward" every time we had possession. Maybe people are learning at last and starting to believe in what LJ is trying to achieve

They're still about Palmer, unfortunately.

Old dog new tricks and all that.

Some people, set in their ways, will just not change.

Mostly positive today, but there are still the "Get it Forward" brigade alive and kicking...

Enjoyed today. A lot, even though we weren't always in control. Hats off to Bradford who really made a game if it. They certainly didn't look like a team out of form as results would suggest.

Thought our middle two were phenomenal. Korey Smith has ants in his pants and Wes had the best of many good recent games. I can't believe I thought he was on his way out at the beginning of the season.

Roll on Mansfield and Chesterfield, both of whom are on a poor run of form, especially away from home. Not that I'm too concerned about the opposition at the moment as we're on a great little run.

Fantastic game....one thing bugs me though

Why are we the only team that gives the away fans the best and most acoustic stand?

Its worth a point the RRE full.

isnt it time to change things about and give the chaddy end to away fans?

I know duffle coat coat will moan because his grandad and his dad before him sat behind that :censored:in post and missed most of the glory years but surely now is the time to be rational.

I sit in the main stand and the chaddy didnt make much noise all game!!

Couldn't agree more ,

When you have 3000 away fans all under one roof the noise is tremendous support for them.

Reminds me of when we went to Huddersfield a few years back and laced them. The support was fantastic and it definitely lifts them.

Pity we can't put up a temp stand at the side like Blackpool did to us once , certainly would quieten them down.

But i agree , stick them in the chaddy end.

This is why I'd love us to take as many as possible to Sheffield United. There's nobody I'd like to beat more as the more fans that can gloat towards them if we win, the merrier.

Optimistic perhaps, but Boxing Day, good run of results - 1500+ Tics there?

Couldn't agree more ,

When you have 3000 away fans all under one roof the noise is tremendous support for them.

Reminds me of when we went to Huddersfield a few years back and laced them. The support was fantastic and it definitely lifts them.

Pity we can't put up a temp stand at the side like Blackpool did to us once , certainly would quieten them down.

But i agree , stick them in the chaddy end.

Yesterday we couldn't fill two stands and had to close one of the home sections down. No justification whatsoever for a temp stand. Also lets just completely ignore the fact that we are building a permanent one there anyway.

The original poster has compelled me to write an email to Simon Corney on the subject of the Rochdale Road end.

Does anyone know if his email address is available? Or if there's anyone who you can email on his behalf?

I might be mistaken but didn't they put this out to "consultation" a few years ago and fans didn't want to move because the Chaddy is the traditional home end?

We should switch ends. The only benefit to having away fans in the RRE is that we can cash in if there's a large number of them (e.g. Liverpool). We could always revert for large cup games.

Edited by bossrocks