Why Mandela's release is remembered but not indelibly on my brain

What does it say? I can't view a couple of the OS's stories at the moment for some reason.

There will be a tribute for Nelson Mandela at Boundary Park tomorrow, which for fans, will hopefully mean free Maluti and bunny chow all round.

I wrote this about Thatcher. Obviously I feel vastly different about Mandela as a person, but the principle is the same. Wrong time wrong place:

Sports obssession for minutes silences winds me up.

"It isn't the time or place. Unless someone connected to the club has died - there are much more suitable places. Rememberance day, why are football clubs taking it opon themeselves to do something? I'm not going to a game for that. On the sunday there is a service, I've been to that a few times. I'd be pissed off if a football match broke out in the middle of that too.

Political figues should never be honoured at a sporting event. Especially divisive ones like Thatcher. It isn't the clubs / FA's job to tell you who to respect in that way."

Edited by pukka

To the wider world he represented many things, not least an icon of freedom but also the most vivid example in modern times of the power of forgiveness and reconciliation. Back in the early 1990s, I remember then President, FW De Klerk, telling me he how he found Mandela's lack of bitterness "astonishing".

That's why he's different to Bin Laden and Thatcher

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I wrote this on my Facebook on hearing the news last night, whether people agree or not this is my own interpretation of a remarkable man......

Nelson Mandela was once tarred as a terrorist but rightly he will be now eternally held as an inspiration - a truly great man that gave hope to millions and United a continent regardless of colour and whose impact was such he brought the world together against the ills of oppression and prejudice. A true icon of humanity and the everyone man's right to be free, RIP....

Edited by oafcprozac

Going to deliver a lesson on this in the near future, NM & SA aren't in the syllabus (yet), yet MLK is. Which is the more important?

Found this earlier today....

"No-one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin, or his background, or his religion.

People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love.

for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite"

Guest Scratch2000uk

Going to deliver a lesson on this in the near future, NM & SA aren't in the syllabus (yet), yet MLK is. Which is the more important?

Found this earlier today....

"No-one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin, or his background, or his religion.

People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love.

for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite"

I don't remember MLK killing people for his cause...

A bit meh, don't think it's warranted, granted I don't have to join if I don't want to, but a third division sporting 'arena' isn't really the place, and where does it stop, jelly and ice cream when Gerry Adams dies???? Houses of Parliament lit up in the tri-colour???

Just leave all the politics out of the football and lets us crack on getting into the third round.