Latics 1-1 Mansfield post match discussion

I wouldn't write Mansfield off just yet - they had a few decent chances today. They didn't even come to do a job on us - both teams were equally poor, with tactics not really playing a part. I don't know where that performance would rank in Mansfield's season, but it was low down in ours. I'd expect both teams to be better in the replay.

Smith's goal the only good thing about the game. Their free-kick looked good from a distance, but Oxley was furious with the wall - did someone duck??

Don't like knocking young players, but Plummer stood out as particularly bad in a day of widespread sub-standard performances. Hope he's got a good agent...

I was in the main stand upper and to me it looked like it went through the wall.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we were p poor today but even today shows how far we have come. A 1-1 draw and some are booing the team off. Although this is completely wrong (I don't belive you should ever boo a team off unless they haven't tried) it shows how well we have been playing and what we have come to expect.

A couple of seasons ago I reckon that would have been a average performance and I reckon this is something positive to take from it. Plus we can play that badly and get a draw.

I know we were p poor today but even today shows how far we have come. A 1-1 draw and some are booing the team off. Although this is completely wrong (I don't belive you should ever boo a team off unless they haven't tried) it shows how well we have been playing and what we have come to expect.

A couple of seasons ago I reckon that would have been a average performance and I reckon this is something positive to take from it. Plus we can play that badly and get a draw.

FTFY, I agree with most of what else you say though.

I don't agree with booing generally, but I think sometimes it's a sign of frustration at the result, rather than having a go at the team. If there was any booing, it would be the most noise our fans made all afternoon.

Thought Mansfield's fans were superb - better than Bradford, although it might have something to do with them not singing Anarchy in the UK....

That was absolutely bloody woeful.

positives-

Grounds,he is looking a good player now

The goal was sensational

Negatives

200mansfield fans outsung the home crowd

The referee was a disgrace

Smeltz is shocking,every time i see him he is like a chicken with no head,or feet.

rooney,im sorry but this guy brings absolutely NOTHING to our team,i really have no idea why he is even on the teamsheet

plumber,you should have treid that for a profession mate

Finally,LJ tactics,SHOCKING,starting rooney on his own upfront is utterly mind boggling,catch a grip son...

A frustrating afternoon

We started slowly we lacked tempo sometimes we seemed to look like we wanted to go through the middle or take the extra touch rather than get the ball moving. We play at our best when we are moving the ball around at pace a team like Mansfield who had a lot of lumbering league 2 players shouldn't be able to cope with that but because we didn't move the ball quickly enough they could.

When Korey Smith who was the only player who comes out of today with some credit put us ahead with a superb effort, I thought we would settle down and start to play our game but that didn't happen. The goal was disappointing we had plenty of chances to clear it including Anton Rodgers air clearence Sidney made a silly foul and the wall didn't do its job as the free kick went through it someone should have stood strong.

The second half Mansfield started stronger and had a decent amount of the play but never really looked like scoring. We then brought on Patresso and Clarke Harris for the injured Dayton and schmeltz we then showed a little more urgency but we've not forced the keeper into to many saves.

I think Rooney is the type of player that's always trying however I don't think he's a striker that can create his own chances. He doesn't link the play to well outside the box either. You could have said the same thing about Luke Beckett but ultimately he was putting the ball in the back of the net more frequently and if he's going to be a penalty box striker he needs to be getting in goal scoring positions and testing the keeper.

I haven't seen it yet with Rodgers he has played well in other games but I haven't been witness to them so I will reserve my judgement. But he seems abit crabbish at times knocking it from side to side but not really getting anywhere, and with Wes and smith in good form I don't see him dislodging them.

Think it's time we gave patreso a start on Tuesday. I've been calling for schmeltz to get a start recently but in the last 2 games where he's been given that he's not really produced where patresso looked good very good against Bradford and showed promise today.

It could be tough replay at field mill if they have the incentive of a big tie in round 3 they will be very much up for it. However if we bring our A game start on the front foot and assert ourselves from the off their is no reason why we won't win.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I know we were p poor today but even today shows how far we have come.

Sorry but since when has a home draw against league 2 opposition been anything but a dissappointing result?

We we were poor and people had a right to show a little frustration I don't think the reaction to today performance was unjust and I'm a self confessed happy clapper

Yep. Been quality last few games. Kusunga was awesome at CB at Wolves, but with Lanzoni worrying me I'd have Mellor LB and Kusunga RB. Distribution from Grounds again high quality this afternoon.

Wow! Ground's distribution was high quality? Really? I cannot fault his defending at his nee CB position much at all, all bar a few poor free-kicks conceeded for needless pushes - but feck me, he's forgotten how to pass to a team-mate. I lost count of how many times he gave it away today.

Simply for me - my match report in a very few words:

We missed Wes

Korey scored a wonder goal

Ref was overly officious and fussy

Sidney and philly had poor games

They were boobins

We will best them in the reply if we do our jobs

I gonna Sound like a complete knob here but what about trying rb tarky cb kusunga cb lanzoni lb grounds the reason I said tarky rb is he's always trying to attack when he has the ball at cb and at rb he would be allowed to do this more. I'd try this for one game to see if it could work.

The issue today wasnt the defence - it was the (lack of) creativity with our offensive play - when this happens there seems to be a push to change the defence! Which is pretty baffling.

This. We missed wes today, bad day at the office, we are still in the cup and our manager knows we were poor, he will sort it out for tuesday and the replay. As said on here we keep our unbeaten run going.

Wow! Ground's distribution was high quality? Really? I cannot fault his defending at his nee CB position much at all, all bar a few poor free-kicks conceeded for needless pushes - but feck me, he's forgotten how to pass to a team-mate. I lost count of how many times he gave it away today.

Simply for me - my match report in a very few words:

We missed Wes

Korey scored a wonder goal

Ref was overly officious and fussy

Sidney and philly had poor games

They were boobins

We will best them in the reply if we do our jobs

His distribution can be wayward, but he probably made more forwards passes than Rodgers today,

Edited by BP1960

I gonna Sound like a complete knob here but what about trying rb tarky cb kusunga cb lanzoni lb grounds the reason I said tarky rb is he's always trying to attack when he has the ball at cb and at rb he would be allowed to do this more. I'd try this for one game to see if it could work.

I can see your logic here to be fair I generally feel more comfortable when the right back is attacking as like you say they have more licence to do so.

However tarky plays right side centre back so when he does attack it's usually down that right channel and aslong as kusungu or lanzoni drop in when he does this we won't be exposed

At least our worst performance of the season was against a :censored:e League 2 side.

We'll trounce them in the replay. They're built to play away from home - set stall, defend for your life, hoof it to your massive strikers and hope you can capitalise off a set-piece.

When we're at their home ground we'll outplay them with speed and passing when they're more open and susceptible to the counter-attack, I've got no doubt about that.

EDIT: Embarrassingly outsung by the Mansfield fans. Rooney utilised terribly and got absolutely no service, why did nobody run for his flick-ons? Still, he needs to get in the game far more, he just isn't doing enough to warrant his position. Korey's goal fantastic, the sort of surging run and finish we need from him more often.

Edited by NewBlue

What is it with Rooney? He was so poor today, but now an again he really looks the part. Port Vale springs to mind. He has bagged a few, an yet more often than not he is completely ineffective. Perplexing.

Clearly he was poor because he had absolutely no service whatsoever. He had hardly a ball of quality fired in at him. I can't recall a match that was utterly devoid of a single decent cross. Smeltz in particular was the worst culprit for this.

Sorry, can't apportion any blame to Rooney. :censored:ing Wayne Rooney would have looked equally as hopeless.

Clearly he was poor because he had absolutely no service whatsoever. He had hardly a ball of quality fired in at him. I can't recall a match that was utterly devoid of a single decent cross. Smeltz in particular was the worst culprit for this.

Sorry, can't apportion any blame to Rooney. :censored:ing Wayne Rooney would have looked equally as hopeless.

Do you rate him from what you've seen?