Latics 0-2 Colchester: Post match reaction

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, I think there's a bit of an over-reaction on here.

Feel guilty for saying it, but if we'd had someone else other than Plummer at left-back, we would have drawn. I'd say Lanzoni, Brown and Winchester's performances are a positive to take out of today.

At 2-0 down at half-time, I actually believed we could get back into the game today (and there's been plenty of occasions over the years where we've been 1-0 down at half-time and known the game was lost). Colchester played football today - but only in the loosest sense. They used every dirty little trick in the book to get them over the line and it's obviously something we need to learn how to deal with.

I actually think we'll have a better chance of getting a result against Baxter et al and Coventry - they'll be a more open games, which I think will be more favourable to our current style of play.

I actually think we'll have a better chance of getting a result against Baxter et al and Coventry - they'll be a more open games, which I think will be more favourable to our current style of play.

Completely agree, but it's a bit of a worry how we struggle to break down teams that are happy to sit back against us at BP. We desperately need someone who can put his finger on "L1 and triangle", and unlock opposition defences...

http://dlvr.it/4YRx4g

A furious Johnson said: "I feel let down by the lack of desire, lack of energy and lack of will to win.

"It's my worst day in football for a Lee Johnson side to go out and play like that.

"Nothing of my personality was shown out there and I apologise to the fans.

"We were immature and weak. It's difficult when you are missing key players but, come on, these are professional footballers who have to want it.

"I had players before the game saying they were knackered, but that was mental instead of physical and it shows you aren't a winner.

"If players are going to show that level of energy and desire, I will shake it up and transfer-list people if I have to - I don't care who they are."

One player already heading for the Boundary Park exit is Dutch winger Sidney Schmeltz, just six months into a two-year contract.

Johnson said: "It hasn't worked out with Sidney and we are going to talk to him. It might be better for him and for us if we part company."

Edited by opinions4u

I'm not. I'm blaming the players. I know LJ picked the starting XI but I lost count of the amount of times today that I heard him shouting at them to up the tempo and getting a bleedin' move on.

Shouldn't a manager insist on that every game without the need for shouting?

Edited by BP1960

Completely agree, but it's a bit of a worry how we struggle to break down teams that are happy to sit back against us at BP. We desperately need someone who can put his finger on "L1 and triangle", and unlock opposition defences...

It is a worry, but Colchester are historical experts at it, while LJ's relatively new to working out the counteraction. I don't think it's a disgrace to have fallen for Colchester's tactics today - it's all part of LJ's learning curve.

Not really surprised we are having a wobble considering we have recently had to sack a senior player for spot fixing. There was one bad egg in the squad and for all we know there maybe more. Up to LJ to sort it out and move out the players like this and replace them with ones that want to work in his system.

The main worry for me is that he wants to ship on players he has recently signed. I remember him saying all his signings would be well researched to minimise these issues. SheZ was a master of this and many of these players then went on to bigger and better, I hope LJ can have a bit more faith in himself to get the best out of players he has brought to the club.

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

I agree, but if they won't listen to the manager they shouldn't be here.

Isn't that just an example of lower league footballers. We get one lot that won't listen and then replace them with another lot who do the same.

What disappointed me was how we started the game we started slowly and on our heels we allowed Colchester a route into the game and let them take control they did and from their they could slow the game down and frustrate as they did

The players shouldn't be winging about being tired yes they have had a heavy fixture list this month but that's part of being a footballer sometimes you will play a lot of football in a sort space of time. I'm certainly not sympathetic when I'm doing 60 hour weeks myself

Edited by GlossopLatic

I avoided coming on here after the game because I didn't fancy reading a load of knee jerk posts from people who only surface after a loss. But I have to agree with everyone's assessment.

Appalling performance. I defended Plummer after brentford as I thought he did ok against a tough player in Donaldson but yesterday he was terrible. These prem reserve players just don't look ready to play tough matches in front of tough crowds. They've probably got loads of ability in training but they just aren't ready or mentally capable of coping.

Few positives elsewhere either. The odd occasion we got a decent cross in the strikers weren't attacking the ball and the midfield were sat on the half way line. No urgency to get up in support.

The movement or lack of is very worrying. Whoever is on the ball is just left to it. We look comfortable on the ball and can pass it well, but there was just no urgency. Massively disappointing as Colchester were one of the worst teams I've seen and they beat us comfortably.

Yesterday was pants, Plummer was absolutely horrendous, the defending for the second goal down that side was Abysmal.

Regarding Smeltz, must be something behind the scenes, as I'd rather have him on the wing running at players especially when the tempo is as slow as it was today. Obviously something's going on.

Was it Conor Brown who pulled off the two shots near the end? one just wide and a cracker that the keeper saved? sums it up really when the right back who's just come on after a lengthy injury comes closest to scoring (up until the youth lads effort later anyway).

I know he has his haters on here but we miss dayton Massively, his movement is quality and him being out of the side the last few games has made me notice the distinct lack of movement higher up the pitch. I had my doubts on him early on but he got better and better until his injury.

The movement in general has dropped, Preston Away in the league I had a few mates texting me watching on the box saying how good our movement off the ball was, players never being stood still. (yet we still lost)

Surprised Winchester went off, thought he was probably our best player in the first half, but something needed to change.

Lanzoni looked fine at Centre half, may be worth trying again in future.

Why Danny P wasn't taking every set piece is a fecking mystery after his free kick and corner assist on tuesday.

Our starting 11 with a fully fit squad is pretty F'in good. Once you take 2/3 out (in todays case at least 5) it shows we go to :censored:. Will be interesting to see what happens in Jan - I'd love to see a permanent move for Mills, or at least a rest of the season loan deal with a possible permanent move in summer, as he was class.

I avoided coming on here after the game because I didn't fancy reading a load of knee jerk posts from people who only surface after a loss. But I have to agree with everyone's assessment.

Appalling performance. I defended Plummer after brentford as I thought he did ok against a tough player in Donaldson but yesterday he was terrible. These prem reserve players just don't look ready to play tough matches in front of tough crowds. They've probably got loads of ability in training but they just aren't ready or mentally capable of coping.

Few positives elsewhere either. The odd occasion we got a decent cross in the strikers weren't attacking the ball and the midfield were sat on the half way line. No urgency to get up in support.

The movement or lack of is very worrying. Whoever is on the ball is just left to it. We look comfortable on the ball and can pass it well, but there was just no urgency. Massively disappointing as Colchester were one of the worst teams I've seen and they beat us comfortably.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the game. Colchester beat us to almost every ball and we looked lethargic to the extreme.

Probably to be expected though, we get a few extra punters in and turn in an horror show!

Classic line in the Latics Player match commentary during the match: "The Colchester physio is coming on and he's... he's... four foot! (Pause) That's taken me by surprise, I've never... Well it is Christmas, maybe they're bringing on an elf!"

Can anyone who was there verify if the Colchester physio was, in fact, an elf?