Latics 0-2 Colchester: Post match reaction

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what impresses him about Plummer ?

We were talking about this in chat. There must be a clause between the two clubs for most loans now where the player must play if available. How many times have we all been scratching our heads over the last 5+ years with ineffectual loan signings playing game after game instead of our own, often better players?

Let's not forget we did not look like beating Mansfield after 55 minutes . Fortunately we did find the answer but they are a truly awful side on a dreadful run(continued today).

If we hadn't won on Tuesday along with today's result & performance along with going out to Chesterfield it would be very grim.

Lower league football seems full of games were teams and players in them throw in lethargic , clueless , passionless performance many times a season. It is infuriating to fans to see it and the players & management seem oblivious to this. Colchester the latest team (of many) to come here in dreadful form ready to be taken apart and instead we fall apart. same old same old.

Positives: Lanzoni did well at CB.

Connor Brown impressed in the 2nd half.

Pritchard looked a tidy prospect when he came on and was unlucky not to score.

A few players also did well in patches, in particular Korey Smith.

The best player on the park, their LB, Garbutt is on loan from Everton and has been for 99 days (so presumably he had a loan holiday, if not, we win). I'd presume he will be cheaper than Mills, Johnson should look to sign him ASAP in Jan, and as Everton isn't that far away may have a good chance of doing so.

City owe us one after Ruznak and now Plummer, who is poor, although I don't blame him for the OG.

We are a young side, we are going to have bad performances, it's how we bounce back that's key now.

Negatives: I won't bother with as I'm probably going to be repeating what others have already said.

Positives: Lanzoni did well at CB.

Connor Brown impressed in the 2nd half.

Pritchard looked a tidy prospect when he came on and was unlucky not to score.

A few players also did well in patches, in particular Korey Smith.

The best player on the park, their LB, Garbutt is on loan from Everton and has been for 99 days (so presumably he had a loan holiday, if not, we win). I'd presume he will be cheaper than Mills, Johnson should look to sign him ASAP in Jan, and as Everton isn't that far away may have a good chance of doing so.

City owe us one after Ruznak and now Plummer, who is poor, although I don't blame him for the OG.

We are a young side, we are going to have bad performances, it's how we bounce back that's key now.

Negatives: I won't bother with as I'm probably going to be repeating what others have already said.

Fair summary rudemedic.

Petrasso frustrated me today. As tricky as he is I'm yet to see an end product Mansfield apart. Mellor needs to shed some and get fitter to be a fixture in centre mid too. Rooney woeful again but as a team we don't deliver good balls into the box. The only player who did was Brown and no one both to attack it.

Back 4 that ended today to start on Thursday.

Now there's a question.

Did City demand that if we took him on loan he has to start every game, barring Cups? Can be the only explanation. Was in the RRE so didn't get a good view of the own goal, but couldn't he have just let it run?? I wish him a lot of luck for his future in the game...unfortunately I think he's going to need it.

Didn't think there was a lack of effort in the first-half, but we just ran out of ideas in the second.

Got to hand it to Colchester - another well-organised, thuggish, time-wasting group of players, who (like many similar teams over the years) have done a job on us. That number 18 was built like the Incredible Hulk, but spent more time rolling around, falsely claiming a foul. Don't like it but it obviously works well for them - over time, hopefully LJ will work out how to break teams down that don't really come to play.

"We were immature and weak. It's difficult when you are missing key players but, come on, these are professional footballers who have to want it."

Hell of a quote that....

Honest assessment? perhaps previous managers would have fared better if they had faced up to the truth.

"We were immature and weak. It's difficult when you are missing key players but, come on, these are professional footballers who have to want it."

Hell of a quote that....

I appreciate his honesty, makes a nice change from the usual bollox managers come out with after a defeat. Players giving less than 100% on the pitch is inexcusable. I'm :censored:. I've never played any higher than the Eccles Sunday League. Hand on heart, I always gave it my all. It was lack of ability that stopped me playing any higher, not lack of effort.

"these are professional footballers who have to want it."

They played the last half hour as if we were 2-0 up and playing the time out. I applaud the comfort on the ball most of these players have but the pace of play has to change as it progresses from keep ball in the middle to attack.

Wasn't their 2nd goal a mile offside?

Yes. Sat in the paddock just about in line with it, their winger was about 3 yards offside. :censored:ing lino asleep again, just as the one was vs Bratfud.

Ugh, just a :censored:, :censored: performance today against a team that didn't even have to break sweat to bag the swag on offer and get the :censored: out of dodge.

I looked at that team before the game and knew what was coming, in fact, I had a terrible feeling from Tuesday onwards. 5 starters out, replacements not up to scratch unfortunately and the senior, most consistent performers unusually bad with the exception of Korey Smith.

The biggest problem for LJ is that he's going to struggle to make the significant changes that have become trademark after a poor performance - and that was by far the worst he's managed - as, at the moment, the squad is so depleted.

Ibehre schooled Tarky, Plummer would be lucky to make the squad never mind the eleven against Sheff Utd and our own youngsters are bound to be inconsistent. We had no incisiveness in the midfield and the defence was ropey at best.

It tells you something is wrong when a 17/18 year old débutante comes the closest to scoring in the 85th minute with a 25 yard strike. Pritchard was the only positive to come out of today's game.

LJ needs to rally the troops now with a tough winter to come.

Edited by NewBlue