Post Match Reaction - Shrewsbury

Yes I sit in the main stand and no I don't think we are in the same position as last year. LJ is building a decent squad who play football that, Colchester apart, is entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

I thought this was a game we could easily lose because, as last year, the players want to be fit and available to play against Liverpool. With the exception of JCH and the headless Millar I thought they all held back just a little.

I do have two moans:

Why was Tarky left on when clearly injured in the first half? Why is Millar considered to be a professional footballer? It seems clear to me that LJ is somewhat disappointed with the flat footed Rooney and can only have brought Millar on as the greatest ever insult he could publicly make.

We lost the game not because we (I exclude Millar) didn't take our chances as they were well defended but rather because Connor gifted them a goal and Mellor saw fit to help them to another.

We are in a relegation battle but I am confident we will pull clear and finish mid table.

Take it you don't rate Miller then?! LOL :) Edited by IOWA1984

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Slade said on the FLS that Orient only made 2 signings over the summer and kept the majority of the squad together, look where they are now.

Got a feeling Johnson will look to do the same in the summer. If we're in the same position this time next year then your point would be valid, but seems a bit OTT right now.

Russell Slade said on the FLS that Orient only made 2 signings over the summer and kept the majority of the squad together, look where they are now.

Got a feeling Johnson will look to do the same in the summer. If we're in the same position this time next year then your point would be valid, but seems a bit OTT right now.

This for me, I'd like to see us replace (or at least attempt to replace) any player we lose between now and Jan 2015, and I include Matteo in that list. I'd like one or two players with some more experience brought in, doubly so if we don't keep MacDonald and/or Byrne, who have both really impressed me off the pitch in their time here, and maybe one or two youngsters with promise ala JCH too, but accepting that these rough diamonds might not work out.

However, a key bit of business for me in the summer is getting Wes secured another long-term contract, which I think we may be able to do more easily now than 18 months ago as he seems to have settled into the area more. Similar with Grounds, who has impressed me more at CB this season than he did at LB last season and I was impressed then.

Teams rarely win things with a chop & change ethos, and a new group every season. It's unfortunately what we've had for like, what; 10years plus now?

Build a squad, build a team and nurture it over time.

The start has been made this time, 2 year deals going out to a number of players signed up. More of the same now please.

The makings are there. It will take time. Hope it's given it...

Picked up two great points away , but cancelled out all the good work by throwing in two pointless games at home. Draws aren't enough.

2 points from 4 games, thats impressive, sure to keep us up!!! LJ looked like a rabbit in the headlights today, as bad as rooney is, why take him off and put our secret weapon on ? {one goal in him career} millar is going to win you nowt,

Me too Bosh

I almost posted a 'oh :censored: off' reply to that post, but thought better of it. Then i've just still posted it i guess; so it gets across where i'm at!

I hate (such i strong word but it's apt) the 'i want and expect it all now, right away' attitude of a lot of football fans - and some of our lot.

Without any understanding or feeling for the massive amount of work that has already gone on behind the scenes, is continuing to gone on and will continue to go on; LJ - or any new manager for that matter - is somehow expected to turn a side that has for a number of years, been struggling at the wrong end of the table, into a top half promotion contenter - in a Tommy Cooper stylee "just like that"?

That is the bollocks part of it. Not that people on here; in the stands and in the pubs are daring to see that a new manager - who has shown so much promise (and thats the key part) - needs time to build on the work done in saving us from the drop last season; and the ground work done so far in his debut season.

If people didnt see that there was reason to warrant time being needed; then that is a different issue. I was fully on board with the decision Corney made to sack DP when he did - it was plain to see that it would have been folly to stick with him, his team, his type of tactics and players and basically his whole set up.

For me - and here is clearly the main stumbling block of the difference of opinion - i can see plenty of reasons to stick with LJ.

I really dont need to post mine here; but it's pretty clear that my list of reasons would be significantly longer than the likes of Mr Balls and OaFC 21 and McGoo et all's lists.

I can see where this goes unfortunately.

Starts on here; on Twatter, into the stands and pubs and before you know it; LJ's job is at risk because the natives are restless.

The natives aren't restless - a vocal minority who seem to revel in the "i told you we would lose" type mentally are restless; and that's a huge difference.

Off rant and off to work now to go and get wound up by things that matter more than football eh?

do you really think the silent majority are happy with this crap, they will soon become the vocal majority,

The thing is though, i'm not revelling in the fact we are crap, do you think I enjoyed today? Or Col U or pretty much every other game bar Port Vale and Bradford?

I would like Mr Johnson to succeed as much as everyone else, but for me we are half way through the season and we're in exactly the same place, in fact scratch that, i'd say a worse place than we were in September.

Most of the early season optimism has all but vanished, the team looks weak, bereft of confidence, and i'm afraid the luck of the third round draw has masked alot of our deficiencies.

What would I like to see change?

Ok, firstly I think we set up well away from home, nothing too drastic, simply counter attack play which gains very good points at tough grounds like Sheff U and Coventry (Although Sheff U are only a point above us, it shouldn't be seen as a Champions League Final win like the fans would make out on Boxing day!!)

But then he uses the same tactics at home, teams simply sit back hit us and bang another 1-0, 2-1 loss. zzzz

He drastically needs to change it, I appreciate we' have some good players out, but why not try 3 at the back at home, and have wing backs or wingers bombing on, where has this goal fest football he promised gone, games like Col U, Mansfield, Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Crewe, Chesterfield we were woeful.

We have also been crying out for experience, i'm sure there must be some lower league clogger out there who is available, who despite not being world class, could surely guide them through. I'm looking mainly centre midfield here, we need a Duxbury to guide them through. We could also do with someone to unlock a defence, someone like a Rusnak maybe, oh wait a sec.................Rusnka is better than pretty much every player in our roster, but we make start him as a sub, and then bang him in the reserves, it's City's job to nurture him through the youth teams, not ours, ours was to play him, that reflected really bad on us.

the issue is we set up 433 away and 442 at home why change it ? its worth a run at home with the same system , 442 is clearly not working for us,

Rusnak?

Seriously, a player who thinks he is too good to play for the reserves?

Lee Johnson did exactly the right thing with that pathetic excuse of a footballer - he had no divine right to be in the team, he needed to earn his place. The deluded little wretch showed no balls and instead threw his toys out of the pram - that shows you the type of individual he is and exactly what Oldham Athletic do not need in the club.

Keeping hold of Rusnak would have destroyed the team, damaged greatly LJs reputation and level of respect from his own players.

city's job is to do the right thing for Man City; LJs is to do the right thing for Oldham Athletic and binning Rusnak off was the right thing for Oldham Athletic; probably also City's as they could see what sort of individual the boy has become. Hopefully he will learn a lesson and be better for this and listen to Viera who also believed Johnson was right as he made the self-important youth apologise.

pity he didn.t do the same with plummer. we would have a couple of points more now,

Why is he scratching his head when it's staring him in the face ?..he's set set up the team to play counter attacking football away from home, but these tactics as proven by results don't work at home.

Until he does something about that nothing will change.

No doubt I will be shot down again for repeating this.

but he has changed it , 433 away and 442 at home and it doesn.t work, why not try and give 433 a go at home and away, but i forgot his pal dayton {the 60 minute wonder} HAS to come in, he gave us nothing yesterday at all, lightweight dwarf, and we have too many of them,

but he has changed it , 433 away and 442 at home and it doesn.t work, why not try and give 433 a go at home and away, but i forgot his pal dayton {the 60 minute wonder} HAS to come in, he gave us nothing yesterday at all, lightweight dwarf, and we have too many of them,

I thought, defensive error for the goal aside, that we played quite well for the first hour or so. Dayton played a big part in making us tick and it was no surprise that we lost our way after he went off.

On another note, a few seem annoyed that Tarky was left on after picking up his knock, yet Kusunga was subbed. Watching from next to the bench it was clear that our physio felt Tarky could continue but Kusunga couldn't. The manager correctly followed his advice.

On another note, a few seem annoyed that Tarky was left on after picking up his knock, yet Kusunga was subbed. Watching from next to the bench it was clear that our physio felt Tarky could continue but Kusunga couldn't. The manager correctly followed his advice.

Kusunga wasn't happy when he was subbed. Blanked Johnson completely, who had a proper scowl on his face.

Also, whilst on my soapbox.

The way he treated Schmeltz was a disgrace, he came out to the media and said, Sidney won't be playing again, it hasn't worked out, we're gonna terminate his deal even though there's 18 months to run, next thing, kids are messaging Sid on the net saying don't go we love you, Sid turns round and says what you talking about, i'll be speaking to the manager, it's news to me, before we know it, Sid's the savious substitute because LDJ has no where to turn, very poor.

What was it with Mellor as well, very strange coming out to the press saying one of your young lads has a problem, he can't run etc, then plays him every game after saying it.

Then the lad from City, yeah he's crap, but to come out after Col U saying he was poor and because he was from City he expected better, the lads only 19 and never played pro football, ruining him in publics gonna do loads for his development. If the defence situation had been solved at the start, meaning players like Mellor and Grounds weren't constantly played out of position, maybe we wouldn't need to pimp out to City for players that aren't up to scratch, but to take him and then blast him was poor, after Rusnak, I bet City will be thinking twice about loaning us more players.

Maybe Johnson will read this and invite all us that don't subscribe to some of his strange decisions to the club for a brew and a biscuit, and we can blindy follow too.

Also, whilst on my soapbox.

The way he treated Schmeltz was a disgrace, he came out to the media and said, Sidney won't be playing again, it hasn't worked out, we're gonna terminate his deal even though there's 18 months to run, next thing, kids are messaging Sid on the net saying don't go we love you, Sid turns round and says what you talking about, i'll be speaking to the manager, it's news to me, before we know it, Sid's the savious substitute because LDJ has no where to turn, very poor.

What was it with Mellor as well, very strange coming out to the press saying one of your young lads has a problem, he can't run etc, then plays him every game after saying it.

Then the lad from City, yeah he's crap, but to come out after Col U saying he was poor and because he was from City he expected better, the lads only 19 and never played pro football, ruining him in publics gonna do loads for his development. If the defence situation had been solved at the start, meaning players like Mellor and Grounds weren't constantly played out of position, maybe we wouldn't need to pimp out to City for players that aren't up to scratch, but to take him and then blast him was poor, after Rusnak, I bet City will be thinking twice about loaning us more players.

Maybe Johnson will read this and invite all us that don't subscribe to some of his strange decisions to the club for a brew and a biscuit, and we can blindy follow too.

I am one of LJ's biggest fans, but I can't argue with anything in that post...

But Synic - it's not crap is it?

It's a dam site better than it's been for a number of years.

Penney's era football? Crap.

This? Not on your nelly...

they turned on dickov, the silent majority that is, its crap cos anyone can play pretty football in front of a team, we are good at it, its not crap when we can get behind teams create chances and score a few, , thats what people want not 10 goals in 10 league games, passing sideways and back isn,t good to watch endlessly. unless LJ is careful he will get the same treatment as dickov only sooner, but i hope not, , people pay £19 to be entertained, they are not and thats why people vote with their feet , 3600 on a new years day bank holiday is woeful,

Guest Scratch2000uk

2 points from 4 games, thats impressive, sure to keep us up!!! LJ looked like a rabbit in the headlights today, as bad as rooney is, why take him off and put our secret weapon on ? {one goal in him career} millar is going to win you nowt,

Did you actually read what i said, and understand it?

they turned on dickov, the silent majority that is, its crap cos anyone can play pretty football in front of a team, we are good at it, its not crap when we can get behind teams create chances and score a few, , thats what people want not 10 goals in 10 league games, passing sideways and back isn,t good to watch endlessly. unless LJ is careful he will get the same treatment as dickov only sooner, but i hope not, , people pay £19 to be entertained, they are not and thats why people vote with their feet , 3600 on a new years day bank holiday is woeful,

Only 3377 home supporters went yesterday for what promised to be three points with a bit of luck, but 5755 are prepared to go away on Sunday for what could possibly be a heavy defeat. I wonder how many of these are the 'silent majority'. :unsure: