Post Match Reaction - Shrewsbury

I find that at times we pass too many times(if thats possible)! Last 10 mins - a winger either side- shrewsbury on back foot with extra defender on,we piss about passing it square between defence and midfield GET IT FORWARD - one pass will do- get at em....shrews only wanted to get it in the corners..we appear to be so drilled that " its the way we play" or is it they are too fkin dumb to take responsibility. Again i feel totally let down by a pisspoor performance which isnt helped when " we won the passing" .

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The frustrating thing for me is how starved of the ball Petrasso is. He's clearly our major threat right now yet wasn't given the ball nearly enough. Every time he had it he slaughtered Jacobson. Instead we kept trying to thread it through the eye of a needle down the middle.

Was the most animated I've seen LJ so far. He was furious with Tarky & Dayton for their winner. Looks like the pressure is telling a little and players clearly aren't doing the jobs he's demanding.

A couple of observations from today, firstly, the stewards, complete bell ends, apparently they have been drafted in from Blackburn Rovers, which says a lot. Frisking 70 year old gentlemen as they entered that hooligan hotspot of the main stand (hardly the den). I enquired why they were performing the searches, he replied a bottle of wine had been smuggled in the last match, OMFG get a life you jobsworth pricks, go and harass the away fans instead like 99% of the stewards do at the other stadiums in England.

Anyway on to the football, I made the point back in September that LDJhechat:censored: was a conman, the problem with a lot of you guys is, you have tunnel vision with him, mainly due to the charm offensive he went on when he was appointed, half of the saps on here nearly climaxed because they got to have a brew with the manager, that was it then he bought his first season and if the occasional poster/fan dared to criticise him they were immedietly shot down. The problem with tunnel vision of course, is that all other rationale goes out of the window, and the sufferer can only see what they want to see, and will not consider another view, it's like a friendly version of a dictator, as all his sheep blindly follow him.

At the tail end of November, early December, all I heard on here or Twitter, by journo's and by fans, was this amazing unbeaten run we was on, 9 games or something, and how despite losing to fourth division Chesterfield in the JPT we were still unbeaten, absolutely pathetic, in those 9 games, we drew 5 of the unbeaten games and most of them came in the cup, usually against lower division teams, or lower placed teams.

Now we are back to the Dickov era, with shocking home form which will more than likely will see us down after a number of years narrowly avoiding that fate, he can't seem to fathem out how to play at home, we can't score, and his signings have been pretty poor. I said as I left the ground that even when we've been crap in the past we always had a Gregan or Eyres or Sheridan with that bit of oomph, what we have now, is a bunch of kids who are staring at the headlights in the road, Millar and JCH up front, 19 and 22, defenders ijn their early 20's, teenage midfielders, but no one to lead them, the captain himself is only 22 (as superb as he's been he's know Duxbury in terms of leadership) We also miss a creative midfielder, Smith is nearly a defender, and Mellor i'm afraid is not up to standard, compare him to Wellens or Kilkeeny or Liddell etc.

For me questions I aired back in September, still haven't been answered, such as players playing out of positions, or not being replaced, still sticking with David off Emmerdale in net, not appointing an experienced coach, signing the Latvian with the fans cash, then stating he was for the future, then gave him a one year deal, what a waste of our cash.

BUT, not signing that experienced defender at the start and persevering with Mellor at CB for so long was poor, the key was a couple of experienced players and he failed to do that, in fact I don't even think he tried.

Also the poor way the Rusnak issues were handled, and how we've gone back for Plummer, who isn't up to scratch but it looks like we've taken him just to keep sweet with City, again poor. And finally, Lanzoni has gone, after two games a blind man could see he was worth extending till the end of the season, we :censored:ed about and now a decent L1 player has left on a free after 3 months.

The frustrating thing for me is how starved of the ball Petrasso is. He's clearly our major threat right now yet wasn't given the ball nearly enough. Every time he had it he slaughtered Jacobson. Instead we kept trying to thread it through the eye of a needle down the middle.

Was the most animated I've seen LJ so far. He was furious with Tarky & Dayton for their winner. Looks like the pressure is telling a little and players clearly aren't doing the jobs he's demanding.

I thought the same about Petrasso Mr Shankly.

Tarky was hobbling after a bad knock and Dayton was tiring having just returned from injury, perhaps LJ has to answer some questions about substitutions rather than blaming unfit players.

A couple of observations from today, firstly, the stewards, complete bell ends, apparently they have been drafted in from Blackburn Rovers, which says a lot. Frisking 70 year old gentlemen as they entered that hooligan hotspot of the main stand (hardly the den). I enquired why they were performing the searches, he replied a bottle of wine had been smuggled in the last match, OMFG get a life you jobsworth pricks, go and harass the away fans instead like 99% of the stewards do at the other stadiums in England.

Anyway on to the football, I made the point back in September that LDJhechat:censored: was a conman, the problem with a lot of you guys is, you have tunnel vision with him, mainly due to the charm offensive he went on when he was appointed, half of the saps on here nearly climaxed because they got to have a brew with the manager, that was it then he bought his first season and if the occasional poster/fan dared to criticise him they were immedietly shot down. The problem with tunnel vision of course, is that all other rationale goes out of the window, and the sufferer can only see what they want to see, and will not consider another view, it's like a friendly version of a dictator, as all his sheep blindly follow him.

At the tail end of November, early December, all I heard on here or Twitter, by journo's and by fans, was this amazing unbeaten run we was on, 9 games or something, and how despite losing to fourth division Chesterfield in the JPT we were still unbeaten, absolutely pathetic, in those 9 games, we drew 5 of the unbeaten games and most of them came in the cup, usually against lower division teams, or lower placed teams.

Now we are back to the Dickov era, with shocking home form which will more than likely will see us down after a number of years narrowly avoiding that fate, he can't seem to fathem out how to play at home, we can't score, and his signings have been pretty poor. I said as I left the ground that even when we've been crap in the past we always had a Gregan or Eyres or Sheridan with that bit of oomph, what we have now, is a bunch of kids who are staring at the headlights in the road, Millar and JCH up front, 19 and 22, defenders ijn their early 20's, teenage midfielders, but no one to lead them, the captain himself is only 22 (as superb as he's been he's know Duxbury in terms of leadership) We also miss a creative midfielder, Smith is nearly a defender, and Mellor i'm afraid is not up to standard, compare him to Wellens or Kilkeeny or Liddell etc.

For me questions I aired back in September, still haven't been answered, such as players playing out of positions, or not being replaced, still sticking with David off Emmerdale in net, not appointing an experienced coach, signing the Latvian with the fans cash, then stating he was for the future, then gave him a one year deal, what a waste of our cash.

BUT, not signing that experienced defender at the start and persevering with Mellor at CB for so long was poor, the key was a couple of experienced players and he failed to do that, in fact I don't even think he tried.

Also the poor way the Rusnak issues were handled, and how we've gone back for Plummer, who isn't up to scratch but it looks like we've taken him just to keep sweet with City, again poor. And finally, Lanzoni has gone, after two games a blind man could see he was worth extending till the end of the season, we :censored:ed about and now a decent L1 player has left on a free after 3 months.

Prepare like me to be shot down, however I think the manager has created the nucleus of a decent team and 3 or 4 good experienced players in crucial positions would make a big difference.

The transfer window is now open and we eagerly await to see if he can recruit those players.

Prepare like me to be shot down, however I think the manager has created the nucleus of a decent team and 3 or 4 good experienced players in crucial positions would make a big difference.

The transfer window is now open and we eagerly await to see if he can recruit those players.

Agreed. We missed three vital players (MacDonald, Wes and Danny P) today, yet still created a host of chances and should have ran out easy winners against a poor side. I think we've suffered with injuries of late and I think the main aim this season is staying in the division. For me, and as much as it pains me but the likes of Brentford and Orient are our inspiration. Perfect examples of how to build a promotion chasing side through steady recruitment, patience and nouse at this level.

It's frustrating to watch, sure. But I do believe we've enough when key players return to pull us out of the rut we're in.

Despite actually agreeing with a lot of what you've said, this paragraph is the closest I've ever got to resorting to petty name-calling on here.

You almost seem to be reveling in the fact that we aren't doing well, just because you predicted so.

Maybe LJ might like to invite fans in for another brew and explain why goal diff is keeping us out of the bottom 4

Bad Luck/Injury Problems/We're :censored:e/Didn't get the rub of the Green/Minds were on Liverpool/Bad Refs/The Weather/No Passion/Blame Dickov/Montano and his betting antics

Delete as appropriate.

Bad Luck/Injury Problems/We're :censored:e/Didn't get the rub of the Green/Minds were on Liverpool/Bad Refs/The Weather/No Passion/Blame Dickov/Montano and his betting antics

Delete as appropriate.

The weather????????????

i will take we're :censored:e

Edited by Pure Elvis 1977

Despite actually agreeing with a lot of what you've said, this paragraph is the closest I've ever got to resorting to petty name-calling on here.

You almost seem to be reveling in the fact that we aren't doing well, just because you predicted so.

Me too Bosh

I almost posted a 'oh :censored: off' reply to that post, but thought better of it. Then i've just still posted it i guess; so it gets across where i'm at!

I hate (such i strong word but it's apt) the 'i want and expect it all now, right away' attitude of a lot of football fans - and some of our lot.

Without any understanding or feeling for the massive amount of work that has already gone on behind the scenes, is continuing to gone on and will continue to go on; LJ - or any new manager for that matter - is somehow expected to turn a side that has for a number of years, been struggling at the wrong end of the table, into a top half promotion contenter - in a Tommy Cooper stylee "just like that"?

That is the bollocks part of it. Not that people on here; in the stands and in the pubs are daring to see that a new manager - who has shown so much promise (and thats the key part) - needs time to build on the work done in saving us from the drop last season; and the ground work done so far in his debut season.

If people didnt see that there was reason to warrant time being needed; then that is a different issue. I was fully on board with the decision Corney made to sack DP when he did - it was plain to see that it would have been folly to stick with him, his team, his type of tactics and players and basically his whole set up.

For me - and here is clearly the main stumbling block of the difference of opinion - i can see plenty of reasons to stick with LJ.

I really dont need to post mine here; but it's pretty clear that my list of reasons would be significantly longer than the likes of Mr Balls and OaFC 21 and McGoo et all's lists.

I can see where this goes unfortunately.

Starts on here; on Twatter, into the stands and pubs and before you know it; LJ's job is at risk because the natives are restless.

The natives aren't restless - a vocal minority who seem to revel in the "i told you we would lose" type mentally are restless; and that's a huge difference.

Off rant and off to work now to go and get wound up by things that matter more than football eh?

The thing is though, i'm not revelling in the fact we are crap, do you think I enjoyed today? Or Col U or pretty much every other game bar Port Vale and Bradford?

I would like Mr Johnson to succeed as much as everyone else, but for me we are half way through the season and we're in exactly the same place, in fact scratch that, i'd say a worse place than we were in September.

Most of the early season optimism has all but vanished, the team looks weak, bereft of confidence, and i'm afraid the luck of the third round draw has masked alot of our deficiencies.

What would I like to see change?

Ok, firstly I think we set up well away from home, nothing too drastic, simply counter attack play which gains very good points at tough grounds like Sheff U and Coventry (Although Sheff U are only a point above us, it shouldn't be seen as a Champions League Final win like the fans would make out on Boxing day!!)

But then he uses the same tactics at home, teams simply sit back hit us and bang another 1-0, 2-1 loss. zzzz

He drastically needs to change it, I appreciate we' have some good players out, but why not try 3 at the back at home, and have wing backs or wingers bombing on, where has this goal fest football he promised gone, games like Col U, Mansfield, Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Crewe, Chesterfield we were woeful.

We have also been crying out for experience, i'm sure there must be some lower league clogger out there who is available, who despite not being world class, could surely guide them through. I'm looking mainly centre midfield here, we need a Duxbury to guide them through. We could also do with someone to unlock a defence, someone like a Rusnak maybe, oh wait a sec.................Rusnka is better than pretty much every player in our roster, but we make start him as a sub, and then bang him in the reserves, it's City's job to nurture him through the youth teams, not ours, ours was to play him, that reflected really bad on us.

The thing is though, i'm not revelling in the fact we are crap, do you think I enjoyed today? Or Col U or pretty much every other game bar Port Vale and Bradford?

I would like Mr Johnson to succeed as much as everyone else, but for me we are half way through the season and we're in exactly the same place, in fact scratch that, i'd say a worse place than we were in September.

Most of the early season optimism has all but vanished, the team looks weak, bereft of confidence, and i'm afraid the luck of the third round draw has masked alot of our deficiencies.

What would I like to see change?

Ok, firstly I think we set up well away from home, nothing too drastic, simply counter attack play which gains very good points at tough grounds like Sheff U and Coventry (Although Sheff U are only a point above us, it shouldn't be seen as a Champions League Final win like the fans would make out on Boxing day!!)

But then he uses the same tactics at home, teams simply sit back hit us and bang another 1-0, 2-1 loss. zzzz

He drastically needs to change it, I appreciate we' have some good players out, but why not try 3 at the back at home, and have wing backs or wingers bombing on, where has this goal fest football he promised gone, games like Col U, Mansfield, Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Crewe, Chesterfield we were woeful.

We have also been crying out for experience, i'm sure there must be some lower league clogger out there who is available, who despite not being world class, could surely guide them through. I'm looking mainly centre midfield here, we need a Duxbury to guide them through. We could also do with someone to unlock a defence, someone like a Rusnak maybe, oh wait a sec.................Rusnka is better than pretty much every player in our roster, but we make start him as a sub, and then bang him in the reserves, it's City's job to nurture him through the youth teams, not ours, ours was to play him, that reflected really bad on us.

A very reasoned post, put across well.

Which makes me wonder why you couldn't do it in the first place instead of using terms like 'conman' and the hilarious LDJhechat:censored: moniker.

Poor result but without some worldy saves from Weale and a little bit of inexperience and daft decision making we could have easily won today. I'm still not totally worried yet. We are like a dodgy gas hob, we keep pressing the ignition button to produce the spark, it won't be long until that spark becomes flame.

Edited by IOWA1984

Rusnak?

Seriously, a player who thinks he is too good to play for the reserves?

Lee Johnson did exactly the right thing with that pathetic excuse of a footballer - he had no divine right to be in the team, he needed to earn his place. The deluded little wretch showed no balls and instead threw his toys out of the pram - that shows you the type of individual he is and exactly what Oldham Athletic do not need in the club.

Keeping hold of Rusnak would have destroyed the team, damaged greatly LJs reputation and level of respect from his own players.

city's job is to do the right thing for Man City; LJs is to do the right thing for Oldham Athletic and binning Rusnak off was the right thing for Oldham Athletic; probably also City's as they could see what sort of individual the boy has become. Hopefully he will learn a lesson and be better for this and listen to Viera who also believed Johnson was right as he made the self-important youth apologise.

Yes I sit in the main stand and no I don't think we are in the same position as last year. LJ is building a decent squad who play football that, Colchester apart, is entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

I thought this was a game we could easily lose because, as last year, the players want to be fit and available to play against Liverpool. With the exception of JCH and the headless Millar I thought they all held back just a little.

I do have two moans:

Why was Tarky left on when clearly injured in the first half? Why is Millar considered to be a professional footballer? It seems clear to me that LJ is somewhat disappointed with the flat footed Rooney and can only have brought Millar on as the greatest ever insult he could publicly make.

We lost the game not because we (I exclude Millar) didn't take our chances as they were well defended but rather because Connor gifted them a goal and Mellor saw fit to help them to another.

We are in a relegation battle but I am confident we will pull clear and finish mid table.