Team for Stevenage

The most difficult one of the season to pick this i'd say.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another player in tomorrow aswell.

I can see him starting Lockwood at CB & moving Grounds to LB or even starting Lockwood at LB.

Then again, Mellor played well at Liverpool and arguably deserves to keep his place.

Brown or Kusunga at RB? Or Lockwood?

I think Smith & Wesolowski are certain to start in CM but I think he'll start Harkins, so maybe one up front with Harkins behind him? Clarke Harris or Philliskirk to start though? I don't see MacDonald starting but you never know.

Worrall right, Petrasso left? Or will Dayton start?

Oxley

Kusunga

Lockwood

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wesolowski

Petrasso

Harkins

Clarke Harris

I can see him starting Lockwood at CB & moving Grounds to LB or even starting Lockwood at LB.

Then again, Mellor played well at Liverpool and arguably deserves to keep his place.

I think Smith & Wesolowski are certain to start in CM but I think he'll start Harkins, so maybe one up front with Harkins behind him? Clarke Harris or Philliskirk to start though? I don't see MacDonald starting but you never know.

Oxley

Kusunga

Lockwood

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wesolowski

Petrasso

Harkins

Clarke Harris

I really hope lockwood doesnt play!

Edited by Latics_est_86

Harkins should start - he changed the game at liverpool.

What about Worrall? He's supposed to be really good and LJ says he wants to sign him permanently despite not playing yet (other than a behind closed doors friendly). So he will feature in one way or another

Defence I would probably go Kusunga Tarky Grounds at the back and go for 3 at the back or Kusunga Tarky Grounds Mellor

Edited by aaronoafc

Oxley

Kusunga

Lockwood

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wesolowski

Petrasso

Harkins

Clarke Harris

I can't contemplate us not starting Philly on Saturday. Tidy, mobile and intelligent with a keen eye for goal, he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Oxley

Smith

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Petrasso

Wesolowski

Harkins

Worrall

Philliskirk

Macdonald if fit, JCH otherwise

That looks the best team we could put out, however people will moan that Smith shouldnt be RB and Grounds should remain CB and Mellor doesnt deserve to be dropped. Can see Wes dropping out, think he wont feature much until he is fully fit and was only played Sunday because it was Liverpool, a ball in the face could easily put him out for 4/5 more games.

Oxley

Kusunga Tarky Grounds Mellor

Petrasso Smith Wes/Harkins Philliskirk/Rooney

Harkins/Rooney/Philli

JCH

I think thats more realistic, philly back out wide. Unless Wes doesnt start then Rooney/Dayton will come in.

Edited by youngen

Can't really drop Philliskirk and it would be harsh to drop Petrasso, he's been one of our best players recently. It'd also be ridiculous to move Smith from CM.

Oxley

Kusunga

Tarky

Grounds

Mellor

Worrall

Smith

Wes

Petrasso

Philliskirk

JCH

Could see Philliskirk moved to the RW though and Harkins played in the hole.

I think if anyone is going to be able to read Harkins' flicks and through-balls it's going to be either Philliskirk or McDonald, but with them both coming back from injury I'd be surprised if they started. Maybe Philliskirk starting in place of JCH, to see if the above statement has any truth in it.

Starting formation 4-4-1-1

-------------------Oxley----------------------

Kusunga--Tarkowski--Grounds--Mellor

Dayton--Smith-- Wesolowski--Petrasso

-------------Harkins--------------------------

-----------------------JCH--------------------

Subs: Rachubka, Lockwood, Winchester, Rodgers, Philliskirk, Rooney, McDonald

Edited by DTM

Like Harry says on the OP; it's a real tricky one this week.

I wouldn't entertain moving Smith from CM to RB - it wastes one of our best players in a role we have options already for. He stays CM for me.

I think I've made my opinion pretty clear on the Smith & Wes CM partnership - so again, for me, that continues too.

I would also always try to find a starting place for Danny Philliskirk too, as IMO; he's been one of our shinning lights and is the type of player who you would surely want in the side - be it RW, in the hole or Up front outright?

I would go with this:

Oxley

RB - Kusunga

CB - Tarky

CB - Grounds

LB - Mellor

CM - Wes

CM - Smith

Inside Forward (Right) - Philliskirk

Advance Midfielder / Deep Lying ST - Harkin

Inside Forward (Left) - Petrasso

ST - JCH

That leaves you with Rooney & Dayton (& Charlie Mac if fit) for attacking options, and the likes of Lockwood, Brown, Winchester, Rodgers to cover defence and midfield.

But - who knows how we'll shape up - we'll see come 3pm on Saturday really eh?

Oxley

Kasunga Tarkowski Grounds Lockwood

Wesolowski Smith

Worrall Dayton

Philliskirk

JCH

Harkins could also be a useful inclusion in that side - however, it's hard to displace to partnership of Wes and Smith and taking Philliskirk out the side is unthinkable with him being one of our best goal threats this season.

Hope Rooney doesn't start on the right again.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

similar to mine pal.

I like the idea of a 4 - 2 - 3 -1 - think it's the best combination for home games, and with who we know have at our disposal...

Forgot we had Petrasso too...

We have too many players to pick from! I would like to see what Worrall offers though, possibly switch Dayton for Petrasso.

----------------------Oxley---------------------

------Kusunga-----Tarky-----Grounds-----

-----------------Smith-----Wes----------------

-------------Philliskirk-----Harkins------------

Petrasso-------------------------------Dayton

------------------------JCH----------------------

Worrall would be in was he not recovering from an injury and if Petrasso's loan isn't renewed (I hope it is - he's growing quickly, having been our best player recently) we may well see Worrall our winger on the opposite side to Dayton. Same goes for MacDonald's non-inclusion.

3 in defence combats this supposed negative home line-up and those defenders I've chosen are well capable especially with Wes and Smith to protect them. We went all-out attack away at Stevenage which got us the result, that was with Mellor horribly out of position at CB during LJ's experimental start, too. We can do the same at home.

Edited by NewBlue

After watching Harkins at Liverpool last week I think he could be just the player we need to unlock what is going to be a stubborn and organised defence, but with his state of fitness I certainly wouldn't want us to rely on him in a midfield pairing, regardless of Wes or Smith's work rate. Therefore I think we should change to a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Oxley

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton (Worrall if fit)

Smith

Wes

Petrasso

Harkins

Philliskirk

JCH

It would be a statement of intent. I don't think we could play a better team than that if we are looking to score more goals at home.

The obvious weakness is with the lack of full backs and coming up against Freeman and Morais that could be an issue, but Smith already covers any defensive players who are forward when oppositions look to counter so with Wes and Harkins playing centrally too, he would have more time to cover the defence. Also Kusunga and Grounds are fine covering the flanks as they've both played full back many times in the past.

4-4-2 on Saturday wouldn't get the most out of our players and would likely see us stifled.

Oxley

Kusunga

Lockwood

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton

Smith

Wesolowski

Petrasso

Harkins

Clarke Harris

where,s the goals coming from ? doesn.t look much different to the brilliant footballing team that cant score that we have watched all season to me, i think worrall will figure

----------------------Oxley---------------------

------Kusunga-----Tarky-----Grounds-----

-----------------Smith-----Wes----------------

-------------Philliskirk-----Harkins------------

Petrasso-------------------------------Dayton

------------------------JCH----------------------

Worrall would be in was he not recovering from an injury and if Petrasso's loan isn't renewed (I hope it is - he's growing quickly, having been our best player recently) we may well see Worrall our winger on the opposite side to Dayton. Same goes for MacDonald's non-inclusion.

3 in defence combats this supposed negative home line-up and those defenders I've chosen are well capable especially with Wes and Smith to protect them. We went all-out attack away at Stevenage which got us the result, that was with Mellor horribly out of position at CB during LJ's experimental start, too. We can do the same at home.

he,s never going to start with 3 at the back, he might change to it when we go behind {we always do {

They're bottom of the league and only Crewe have conceded more away from home.

We've scored the joint lowest number of goals at home - along with..............Stevenage. And 3 of their 10 were against us.

Only the top 3 have conceded fewer than us at home.

I'm probably in a minority but i would start with rooney up top with harkins off him supplying the ammo with philly right petrasso left wes and smith holding - dayton is still feeling his way back and i think jch looks a bit jaded - use as an impact sub this time .

I think we need to see if rooney with hopefully a supply can deliver.