Ten months ago ...

Guest Scratch2000uk

They all did one or the other. Didn't work, they left. Not sure what point you're making, all I'm saying is although I'm not happy with our current position, we're about where I expected us to be in his first season.

Loads of money is the only short term way to promotion. We don't have that and we won't get it from attendances. So for me we have to build over a few seasons. I'm willing to accept that as long as we do improve each season. I reckon (hope) this is the start of something. It feels a bit different somehow to Shez and Dickov.

It didn't work because they weren't given what they needed to achieve it, mainly keeping hold of any footballing assets for more than one season,Corney usually sells them or they move on. From what i have witnessed over the years, building solid foundations and long term plans are all very well and good, but they don't seem to happen.

Maybe I'm wrong this time, But from what i have seen over the years, It doesn't fill me with that much confidence.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying that we are set up with 2 defensive midfielders? I can agree with that and it is exactly my point but fundamentally I disagree with the system. Most teams with 4 at the back play with 1 defensive midfielder and 1 creative midfielder who takes a more forward role! In our team Wes plays in a more forward position than Korey Smith but and I repeat it, and you seem to agree with me, Wes doesn't create! Hence our goal scoring problems. If a team plays with 2 wingers as the wide midfielders then they need good passes to allow them to stay wide and stay quite far forward, They don't get those passes!

It really is simple. Wes sits and korey gets forward. This is happening at the moment and I can't understand why.

Edited by welshgaz

Beacuse I have criticised the managers home tactics in particular - and the facts back me up, doesn't mean I think he should go..his recent signings give me some optimism. I am just hoping the home record can be improved as a result.

Edited by BP1960

If we were in the position we are in now having deserved to lose the games we had, had the minority share of possession in those games and had a lower shot count than the opposition then I would be worried but we don't.

I take great solace in the knowledge that when everything clicks together whether that be the back end of this season or the start of next we'll be laughing.

If we were in the position we are in now having deserved to lose the games we had, had the minority share of possession in those games and had a lower shot count than the opposition then I would be worried but we don't.

I take great solace in the knowledge that when everything clicks together whether that be the back end of this season or the start of next we'll be laughing.

If it takes until next season for it to 'click' then you'll be taking great solace in watching us in League 2 with a new manager and squad.

I don't take too much comfort from the 'we don't lose by many' or 'we didn't really deserve to lose' arguments. Perhaps it's an indicator that we are close to getting it right but, bear in mind, during Dickov's first season in charge we lost 19 games in all competitions. Of those 19, we lost 13 by a single goal and I have no doubt people were probably saying we didn't deserve to lose a good few of those.

And, to flip it the other way, we've won only one league game by more than a single goal this season.

"I don't take too much comfort from the 'we don't lose by many' or 'we didn't really deserve to lose' arguments. Perhaps it's an indicator that we are close to getting it right but, bear in mind, during Dickov's first season in charge we lost 19 games in all competitions. Of those 19, we lost 13 by a single goal and I have no doubt people were probably saying we didn't deserve to lose a good few of those.

And, to flip it the other way, we've won only one league game by more than a single goal this season."

100% agree

And, to flip it the other way, we've won only one league game by more than a single goal this season.

Which clearly shows how fine the margins are.

Personally, I think that we will click in parts over the remainder of the season and I certainly don't fear relegation.

"I don't take too much comfort from the 'we don't lose by many' or 'we didn't really deserve to lose' arguments. Perhaps it's an indicator that we are close to getting it right but, bear in mind, during Dickov's first season in charge we lost 19 games in all competitions. Of those 19, we lost 13 by a single goal and I have no doubt people were probably saying we didn't deserve to lose a good few of those.

And, to flip it the other way, we've won only one league game by more than a single goal this season."

100% agree

What I don't get about posts such as these is what are you wanting to happen? Other than the obvious - scoring/winning more. I can see why articles pop up hinting that some fans want Johnson out because although unhappy with results in general they put forward the view that there are enough positives to not worry too much and be optimistic it'll turn around soon enough.

What's the other side of the argument? Presumably that there aren't enough positives to suggest a turnaround? If that's the case it's not unreasonable for people to conclude that those who think that way want a change of manager. Or a change of something anyway.

So you are saying that we are set up with 2 defensive midfielders? I can agree with that and it is exactly my point but fundamentally I disagree with the system. Most teams with 4 at the back play with 1 defensive midfielder and 1 creative midfielder who takes a more forward role! In our team Wes plays in a more forward position than Korey Smith but and I repeat it, and you seem to agree with me, Wes doesn't create! Hence our goal scoring problems. If a team plays with 2 wingers as the wide midfielders then they need good passes to allow them to stay wide and stay quite far forward, They don't get those passes!

No, that's not what I said at all.

Wesolowski is a holding midfielder. Korey Smith isn't.

What I don't get about posts such as these is what are you wanting to happen? Other than the obvious - scoring/winning more. I can see why articles pop up hinting that some fans want Johnson out because although unhappy with results in general they put forward the view that there are enough positives to not worry too much and be optimistic it'll turn around soon enough.

What's the other side of the argument? Presumably that there aren't enough positives to suggest a turnaround? If that's the case it's not unreasonable for people to conclude that those who think that way want a change of manager. Or a change of something anyway.

The only point I was making is that people tend to read too much into the fine margins stuff - frequently losing by the odd goal or being unlucky with decisions. It's not necessarily indicative of great things to come and the bare facts are that, currently, for whatever reason, we are losing too many games. That does not mean to say I want a change of manager - far from it.

Johnson has my full support but, as I've said before, he's proven nothing up to now.

16 goals in 18 games, hard to be positive about that.

Again I agree with Stevie J.

The only way to get out of this division the right way is to back the manager. To fully support him. To accept mistakes happen, but on the flip side the results are not great. It isn't being "anti Johnson" to state that fact.

no, smith sits deeper than wes thats the problem, just between or behind the centre backs

It is a problem because he shouldn't be sitting anywhere. He's the engine of the midfield, he should be getting up and down the pitch and dictating the game. We're at our best when he does that, and he hasn't really been doing it lately.