Ten months ago ...

We are where I expected us to be and I expect us to be mid table at the end of the season.

The entertainment at Boundary Park during league 1 games has been much better this season although the last two have had disappointing results and Colchester was the worst. We are now no longer distracted by the FA Cup and should have secured a draw against Walsall - Rooney had two very good opportunities, I'm a penalties are only missed and not saved person, for us.

Johnson secured what he thought would be a 20 goal plus striker in Rooney and he simply has not been good enough. Don't know why, it just has not happened for him. With the goals we could reasonably have expected him to score we would be sitting in mid table dreaming of a late run. This doesn't make Lee a poor manager or a bad judge of players it just happens.

In LJ I still trust.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post, opinions4u. Spot on. He has been very unlucky with the strikers, that can happen even to the most experienced manager. But the purchase of Mac, Rooney and JCH showed LJ's philosophy and intent. The January signings give experience and guile. I do think though that we need a striker to lift us and get us home this season. I actually feel sorry for Rooney, and the media analysis of his state of mind and his manager's public comments must be even more harrowing for him. Visions of him running around the Lescott Stadium in the dead of night (in Mike Keegan's stirring article in MNE) puts Sartre at his gloomiest in the shade.

LJ will bring success, and more quickly than Hardwick and Royle. I wouldn't be surprised if his teams are very like those of the aforementioned two, and Frizzell's of course. We might not get the 30,000+ crowds of 1952/53 but it will be very pleasurable ride.

10 Months ago, Oldham appointed Lee Johnson as manager, what did I know about him? Well, I knew he was lower league fodder who trundled his way around the West Country clubs following his father who managed said clubs in the greatest bit of neputism the world has ever seen. Johnson wasn't good enough to play in a Championship play off final side, but was picked anyway by his father, much to the annoyance of the Bristol City faithful.

As his career dwindled, earlier than he expected at the age of 30, but later than expected for those of who regular play Football Manager, Johnson pimped himself around the Scottish divisions looking for a club as he knew that level, akin to that of the football conference in England, that he'd do ok for a season or two, in the event he managed 20 appearances but it was enough time to develop his contact list for future management, he knew that he'd get a position eventually in the lower leagues of England due his Dad having a word with a few of the chairmen he knew, after all Johnson senior is well thought of throughout English, and Latvian football. With a scouting network consisiting of his gran, his great aunt and his dog shep, he decided to rely on the 3 or 4 players he knew from Scotland, some of his dads cast offs and a Latvian bar worker who had never kicked a ball before, but he was tall and he regularly valetted Johnson Seniors car in Riga.

He set about his task of keeping Oldham up, this was done with only 3 points to spare, but credit where credit's due we stayed up by the skin of our teeth. The next season he promised us goals galore, an unrivalled scouting network with due dilligence on the players we would sign. We ended up with a young centre midfielder at centre half, a striker that couldn't score in the Georgian, and a load of powder puff imports from Scotland.

To further enhance his reputation he chastised players in public on a number of occasions, further ruining morale.

He promised the Oldham faithful goals goals goals, but 1-0 or 2-1 is a common theme, we play well scream the deluded fans, which is not actually that factual, we are defensively compact which is what has restricted teams to only score 1 or 2 but in terms of going forward, its lackluster.

What did I expect, alot bloody more i'll say after Salesman Lee promised the Earth, but delivered us space dust. We are in a relegation dog fight, if we don't go down this season, we will next.

Edited by alex_balls

10 Months ago, Oldham appointed Lee Johnson as manager, what did I know about him? Well, I knew he was lower league fodder who trundled his way around the West Country clubs following his father who managed said clubs in the greatest bit of neputism the world has ever seen. Johnson wasn't good enough to play in a Championship play off final side, but was picked anyway by his father, much to the annoyance of the Bristol City faithful.

As his career dwindled, earlier than he expected at the age of 30, but later than expected for those of who regular play Football Manager, Johnson pimped himself around the Scottish divisions looking for a club as he knew that level, akin to that of the football conference in England, that he'd do ok for a season or two, in the event he managed 20 appearances but it was enough time to develop his contact list for future management, he knew that he'd get a position eventually in the lower leagues of England due his Dad having a word with a few of the chairmen he knew, after all Johnson senior is well thought of throughout English, and Latvian football. With a scouting network consisiting of his gran, his great aunt and his dog shep, he decided to rely on the 3 or 4 players he knew from Scotland, some of his dads cast offs and a Latvian bar worker who had never kicked a ball before, but he was tall and he regularly valetted Johnson Seniors car in Riga.

He set about his task of keeping Oldham up, this was done with only 3 points to spare, but credit where credit's due we stayed up by the skin of our teeth. The next season he promised us goals galore, an unrivalled scouting network with due dilligence on the players we would sign. We ended up with a young centre midfielder at centre half, a striker that couldn't score in the Georgian, and a load of powder puff imports from Scotland.

To further enhance his reputation he chastised players in public on a number of occasions, further ruining morale.

He promised the Oldham faithful goals goals goals, but 1-0 or 2-1 is a common theme, we play well scream the deluded fans, which is not actually that factual, we are defensively compact which is what has restricted teams to only score 1 or 2 but in terms of going forward, its lackluster.

What did I expect, alot bloody more i'll say after Salesman Lee promised the Earth, but delivered us space dust. We are in a relegation dog fight, if we don't go down this season, we will next.

not-sure-if-joking-or-serious-thumb.jpg

LJ will bring success, and more quickly than Hardwick and Royle. I wouldn't be surprised if his teams are very like those of the aforementioned two, and Frizzell's of course. We might not get the 30,000+ crowds of 1952/53 but it will be very pleasurable ride.

What on earth are you basing that on...?

People didn't want Phil Brown but he's working wonders at Southend...another club that is likely to surpass us in the near future.

Alot of what I say about Johnson is designed to wind a few of you lot up who bite way too easily may I add.

I was/am refreshed with what he is doing, but the similarities with Dickov are too great to ignore.

Don't give him the satisfaction...

I agree that Smith is a very good player for this level. Contribution doesn't have to be a forward pass, Wes puts his foot in far more and from what I've seen even gets forward more.

But you're right Smith is always demanding the ball and trying to make us tick I would just like to see him add some creativity to his game.

Wes does put his foot in a lot and does tend to get forward more than Smith, but does he create anything? I think he offers very little and before someone says that Harkins is there to create, well that causes problems because to fit him in the team we have to sacrifice a striker or a winger. If Wes was playing in the defensive midfield role I would be happy with his constant harassment and tackling but he isn't so Smith has to do that job, perhaps we should try swopping them around or getting in a new defensive midfielder to play with Smith being in a more offensive role! Another poster says that we missed Wes when he was out injured well yes I agree but that still doesn't make him a good enough player in my view! We don't have an alternative! Yet!!!!

Agree with most of this.

I'm not saying he can't deliver in the future, but in terms of what we've seen so far he's not lived up to his own words!

Edited by dec666

Don't give him the satisfaction...

ha, I give you your dues.

In all seriousness, 1st half i'm joking, gotta admit if I say so myself, the part about the Latvian kid valletting Johnson senoirs car made me lol, must just be my sense of humour.

2nd part is where i'm definitely at.

Largely bollocks but quite amusing.

OK, so we have all that going for us, have you got anything negative to add ?

When we appointed him, not a clue where we'd be by now! But by the end of last season I expected us to be hovering around middle of the bottom half of the league at this point, with a run to a top 12 finish by the end of the season. Still stick by that.

Next year - a solid season in the top 10, play off challengers by end.

If people are really happy with being 3 points above the bottom four in January, we should all just call it a day.

Just take a look at some of the clubs ahead of us, not exactly the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are they.

If people are really happy with being 3 points above the bottom four in January, we should all just call it a day.

Just take a look at some of the clubs ahead of us, not exactly the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are they.

People probably aren't overall but they can see the foundations are being laid for in the medium and long term progress on the pitch.

The question was about expectations. I'm not happy where we are. I preferred it when we were winning promotions and getting to cup finals. But we have the 19th biggest attendance in league one so expectations are a bit more realistic.

Wes does put his foot in a lot and does tend to get forward more than Smith, but does he create anything? I think he offers very little and before someone says that Harkins is there to create, well that causes problems because to fit him in the team we have to sacrifice a striker or a winger. If Wes was playing in the defensive midfield role I would be happy with his constant harassment and tackling but he isn't so Smith has to do that job, perhaps we should try swopping them around or getting in a new defensive midfielder to play with Smith being in a more offensive role! Another poster says that we missed Wes when he was out injured well yes I agree but that still doesn't make him a good enough player in my view! We don't have an alternative! Yet!!!!

I think you've got Wesolowski's role confused. He's there to break play up and give the ball to the more talented players. He's very good at what he does, but what he can do is very limited.

He's most definitely not an attacking midfielder, and isn't played as one.

The question was about expectations. I'm not happy where we are. I preferred it when we were winning promotions and getting to cup finals. But we have the 19th biggest attendance in league one so expectations are a bit more realistic.

What's that?

Ah - the sound of nail being hit on the head.

Expectations - that the key.

I want us to be in the promotion mix every season.

But expect it? Not really, no - not anymore.

Not unless we have a mega bucks takover or, by sheer hard work, patience and perserverance; a manager of LJ's ilk can grow and develop a side over time, that is capable of punching well above its weight for a conserted period of seasons.

I'm pissed of as anyone of us is after a loss.

It used to ruin weekends when i was younger.

Now? Its an involved hobby. I'm pissed off until i get home, then i remember there are far, far more important things to worry about and get annoyed with; or more importantly, enjoy and not let football ruin.

LJ needs time. Lots of it. I hope he gets it. Who knows where he can take us? I hope upwards more than downwards!

But we have the 19th biggest attendance in league one so expectations are a bit more realistic.

We have the 19th highest attendance because we've been in this division for almost as many years. I agree with managing expectations but we can't justify a lack of any success because crowds are :censored:. It's been that long now that success is the only thing that's going to change it.

Guest Scratch2000uk

We have the 19th highest attendance because we've been in this division for almost as many years. I agree with managing expectations but we can't justify a lack of any success because crowds are :censored:. It's been that long now that success is the only thing that's going to change it.

Some are quite happy to be run under the rule of mediocrity and accept that things are not about to change soon. You can't really blame them, it's been like this for going on twenty years. Of course, if you are one of those who don't hold those views, you will be accused of being delusional or are in need of some sort of psychological therapy. I think LJ will be sacked within three years, unless he does bring success. I hope he does, but that's the only thing we have.

I think LJ will be sacked within three years, unless he does bring success.

That's the only thing you said there that makes sense. I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with you - if we're still in this position in 3 years he probably will go. Fair enough.

The only way to get out of this league is either with a :censored: load of money or by building a solid foundation and sticking to a long term plan. And only one of those is possible for us. Unless you have another masterplan?

Guest Scratch2000uk

That's the only thing you said there that makes sense. I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with you - if we're still in this position in 3 years he probably will go. Fair enough.

The only way to get out of this league is either with a :censored: load of money or by building a solid foundation and sticking to a long term plan. And only one of those is possible for us. Unless you have another masterplan?

So, You think none of the last 7 or so managers didn't want try or even think about doing any of those things you suggested?

I think you've got Wesolowski's role confused. He's there to break play up and give the ball to the more talented players. He's very good at what he does, but what he can do is very limited.

He's most definitely not an attacking midfielder, and isn't played as one.

So you are saying that we are set up with 2 defensive midfielders? I can agree with that and it is exactly my point but fundamentally I disagree with the system. Most teams with 4 at the back play with 1 defensive midfielder and 1 creative midfielder who takes a more forward role! In our team Wes plays in a more forward position than Korey Smith but and I repeat it, and you seem to agree with me, Wes doesn't create! Hence our goal scoring problems. If a team plays with 2 wingers as the wide midfielders then they need good passes to allow them to stay wide and stay quite far forward, They don't get those passes!

So, You think none of the last 7 or so managers didn't want try or even think about doing any of those things you suggested?

They all did one or the other. Didn't work, they left. Not sure what point you're making, all I'm saying is although I'm not happy with our current position, we're about where I expected us to be in his first season.

Loads of money is the only short term way to promotion. We don't have that and we won't get it from attendances. So for me we have to build over a few seasons. I'm willing to accept that as long as we do improve each season. I reckon (hope) this is the start of something. It feels a bit different somehow to Shez and Dickov.