Lack of investment the real problem

The budget might be an issue for us not getting in the top 6 however recently we have played the likes of Shrewsbury port vale Walsall and Colchester and have have amassed the sum 0 points from those 4 fixtures. It's not like these clubs have oil Barron's bankrolling a team packed full of global superstars is it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

And when we appointed experienced managers like warnock Talbot Moore and Penney and they failed that was the boards fault too was it?

Hmmm how long did they stay?

Hmmm how long did they stay?

Yeah we all loved them so much and with the exception of warnock we got them all sacked because we hated the football they delivered.

Don't worry we will sack Johnson bring In Gary Megson and then delude ourselves that all the problems have vanished into thin air until we lose a few games where we will brand him a footballing dinosaur.

Even is corney had a million in his back pocket it's not as simple as spending it. New football rules only allow clubs to only spend 70% (this is a rough figure if anyone knows the exact one add it) of its income. So without increased crowds, increased revenue etc we are stuck. Even with a sugar daddy we wouldn't be able to spend millions! The New stand will bring extra revenue if it's done right so lets see how that effects things long term.

Don't you mean lack of continuity rather than lack of investment?

No investment. Every season we replace like with like. Good players go and are replaced with good players. Average players go and are replaced with average players. Poor players go and are replaced with poor players. Youth players are released and replaced with youth players. There is more than enough continuity.

Even is corney had a million in his back pocket it's not as simple as spending it. New football rules only allow clubs to only spend 70% (this is a rough figure if anyone knows the exact one add it) of its income. So without increased crowds, increased revenue etc we are stuck. Even with a sugar daddy we wouldn't be able to spend millions! The New stand will bring extra revenue if it's done right so lets see how that effects things long term.

The rules are based around the wage bill they do not take into account signing on fees so if you have a sugar daddy you get round it by offering someone a big golden handshake upfront then paying them a basic salary. Their is always a way round things like this.

If you look at the number of players bought, then for me SC has backed each of his manager.

LJ is a long way off going yet, but if this continues as long as it did with PD then there will be no choice(I am hopeful it won't as LJ changes things whereas PD never did) but if it stays the same that will be 2 rookies it did not work with so a proven guy would be the next choice.

We have to sell to survive, but hopefully the new stand should give us that bit extra we need.

Shez was the last manager that got real backing IMO and it is not surprising that we were top half.

Money is not entirely a red herring. Infact, in most cases it's fundamental. It allows you to assemble a big squad, like Wolves. It means you can bring in a player on a big wage, like Rooney, and replace him when he fails without having to actually sell him first.

All managers make crap signings, but when you've got no money it means you've got nowhere to hide if it goes wrong.

In the late 1980s we had a good team, but it was the cup run that gave us the money to build a squad capable of sustaining a promotion push. When one or two signings didn't pay off, it didn't matter.

Money isn't everything, but it helps.

If only Latics had a player like in your profile picture bfj1, an absolute bargain at £60,000.

Look at Simon's wonderful skills in this video for QPR, particularly at 4 mins 15 seconds.

Notice how many players QPR have in and around the opposition penalty area when attacking, check this out LJ?

What about the cup money from last season and this ? so far more players have gone out than come in and no transfer fees paid.

We paid a fee for JCH. As for the other money, I'd think some of it has gone (or is going on) the new stand. Some might have gone across the Atlantic to the landlords too.

We paid a fee for JCH. As for the other money, I'd think some of it has gone (or is going on) the new stand. Some might have gone across the Atlantic to the landlords too.

True, but there's bonus money from this seasons cup run, and since then we have seen more outs than ins which has meant a net saving in players wages, possibly more will be leaving too.

It will be a test for LJ if indeed he is allowed to splash a bit of cash.

If he isn't allowed to spend bearing in mind the club's current league position I will have the utmost sympathy for him.

Edited by BP1960

True, but there's bonus money from this seasons cup run, and since then we have seen more outs than ins which has meant a net saving in players wages, possibly more will be leaving too.It will be a test for LJ if indeed he is allowed to splash a bit of cash.If he isn't allowed to spend bearing in mind the club's current league position I will have the utmost sympathy for him.

Have we had a net reduction in the number of players? We signed 4 from the sale of Jose alone.

it seems a lot have gone recently rudemedic.

I count 3, 4 if you include Sutherland, Lanzoni left and we paid Byrne up and let Schmeltz go on loan. The fact that we have paid Byrne up means we haven't exactly freed up a wage, unless/until he gets a new club. (I'm not fully sure how that works). We brought in Harkins, Worrall (both of whom won't be on a low wage) and Lockwood (who might be). However, Sutherland and Lanzoni were presumably on a low wage, and I'd think Schmeltz will be mid-range but it will depend on how much Shrewsbury are paying too.

Guest Scratch2000uk

What? Penney, Moore, Talbot....

And they have all gone on to do what exactly.., that's right, absolutely :censored: all. Like i said before all bad appointments. either they were :censored: or the crowds didn't like the style.

From a business perspective, is it worth spending a third of our takings from anfield on Lee Gregory and most likely delaying the stand for another month or two or possibly playing football in league 2 with a shiny new stand with no one sitting in it?

And they have all gone on to do what exactly.., that's right, absolutely :censored: all. Like i said before all bad appointments. either they were :censored: or the crowds didn't like the stT

Your point was the board was at fault for appointing rookies

I count 3, 4 if you include Sutherland, Lanzoni left and we paid Byrne up and let Schmeltz go on loan. The fact that we have paid Byrne up means we haven't exactly freed up a wage, unless/until he gets a new club. (I'm not fully sure how that works). We brought in Harkins, Worrall (both of whom won't be on a low wage) and Lockwood (who might be). However, Sutherland and Lanzoni were presumably on a low wage, and I'd think Schmeltz will be mid-range but it will depend on how much Shrewsbury are paying too.

And one under a cloud has gone.

From a business perspective, is it worth spending a third of our takings from anfield on Lee Gregory and most likely delaying the stand for another month or two or possibly playing football in league 2 with a shiny new stand with no one sitting in it?

£100k on a player won't have a material effect on the rate of construction of a £6m stand.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Your point was the board was at fault for appointing rookies

The last two appointments, yes. the others are history, but since you mentioned them i thought i'd let you know how they were getting on fella