Lack of investment the real problem

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a business perspective, is it worth spending a third of our takings from anfield on Lee Gregory and most likely delaying the stand for another month or two or possibly playing football in league 2 with a shiny new stand with no one sitting in it?

Not in my view, not this season anyway. I don't think we are going down, I'm certainly more confident that we will stay up this season than I was at the end of Jan last season, and I thought we would stay up then, even with Dickov in charge.

However, will Gregory improve us, I would say possibly by some accounts of those who have seen him. Is he value for money. Possibly not, as you can get a good striker for less (JCH and Philliskirk for example), but he has the potential to improve his value. I think if our coaches thought he was worth it, we would be in for him. We may have to offload, someone first though, as there is no point in signing a forward for him to sit in the stands when everyone is fit.

Edited by rudemedic

The last two appointments, yes. the others are history, but since you mentioned them i thought i'd let you know how they were getting on fella

Uh huh. So previous experienced appointees didn't work but it's all the board's fault for not going down that route again. Inspired.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Uh huh. So previous experienced appointees didn't work but it's all the board's fault for not going down that route again. Inspired.

No, the others, with experience got sacked because of falling attendances and season ticket sales. uh ohh!

Gregory is a goal mouth predator, quite greedy some say, he has the knack of finding space, I see no reason he won't score goals if the ball is placed in the 6 yard box.

Shame we always piss about with it around the box rather than getting it in. One of the most frustrating things at games, along with no-one moving for a good pass, meaning the ball goes backwards.

We need someone with half a brain to just take a shot on from time to time, inside and outside the box. If you don't have a go, it will never happen.

is that not the problem for Rooney aswell? Lack of service?

From what I've seen Gregory is sharper and will find more space in the 6 yard box than Rooney Eddie, he can however work chances for himself, which Rooney seems to lack.

Shame we always piss about with it around the box rather than getting it in. One of the most frustrating things at games, along with no-one moving for a good pass, meaning the ball goes backwards.

We need someone with half a brain to just take a shot on from time to time, inside and outside the box. If you don't have a go, it will never happen.

I always think we do two things. We're either trying to be patient looking for an eye-of-a-needle pass, which often ends up with us keeping possession but moving the ball backwards so much that the danger we posed dilutes. I'm all for keeping possession, in fact this is key if we're to break down stubborn sides. Make them work hard for the ball, fatigues them and openings occur naturally. At the top level, Citeh do this to perfection but the key thing is starving the opposition of possession so they're always running, always hunting for the ball.

The other thing we always do is try to shoot from impossibly long distances. This rarely ever ends up in a goal, a best case scenario is a deflection which gives us a corner.

What we rarely do and what we should do more of is work those openings to shoot just outside the area. Deflections often end in a goal and even hacked shots end up dropping nicely for a striker to pounce on. :censored: me, Beckett used to get tons like that.

So, in summary, less fannying about or trying for a wonder goal and more getting shots in from around 12-24 yards outside goal. We should have scored a goal Saturday if we'd (Harkins I think) had not fannied about with it letting Vale rush to get men on the line.

And so it goes. Twaddle!

Point number 1 - you can only take players long term based on your gate etc. excluding FA Cup because these 'extras' are not guaranteed. Each club has to produce a forecast of turnover and players wages each year which is closely monitored by the football league - the FA receipt is only available for a short term fix.

Point number 2 - for the first time in years our manager has signed players on two year deals and options so we will not be faced with a new squad next season. It is called building a team. It is risky because when a signing doesn't work you are stuck with paying wages for someone who is not contributing as he should.

Point number 3 - it takes time to build a team. This season is about staying up.

Point number 4 - as LJ is building a team and this season is just about staying up it is plain stupid to call for change. Things are changing and in my view the changes all bode well for a better future than the past four years.

Point number 5 - we are where we are in the league because the much heralded and applauded signing of Adam R has not worked out. That is the risk managers and owners have to take and for the supposed supporters on the blog to endlessly moan about this having supported the decision in the first place is two faced.

Point number 6 - although we are failing to score enough goals, this is not due to a lack of attempts, it is rather because not enough are on target and those that are are being saved.

Point number 7 - LJ has already taken steps to try and address the problem having signed Harkin. I am hopeful that by 31 January further steps will have been taken but those steps should be part of the plan to build a team and not knee jerk reactions to pressure from main blog moaners.

I remain confident that we will achieve a mid table finish even with the players we now have. Support your team and take a long term view.

And so it goes. Twaddle!

Point number 1 - you can only take players long term based on your gate etc. excluding FA Cup because these 'extras' are not guaranteed. Each club has to produce a forecast of turnover and players wages each year which is closely monitored by the football league - the FA receipt is only available for a short term fix.

Point number 2 - for the first time in years our manager has signed players on two year deals and options so we will not be faced with a new squad next season. It is called building a team. It is risky because when a signing doesn't work you are stuck with paying wages for someone who is not contributing as he should.

Point number 3 - it takes time to build a team. This season is about staying up.

Point number 4 - as LJ is building a team and this season is just about staying up it is plain stupid to call for change. Things are changing and in my view the changes all bode well for a better future than the past four years.

Point number 5 - we are where we are in the league because the much heralded and applauded signing of Adam R has not worked out. That is the risk managers and owners have to take and for the supposed supporters on the blog to endlessly moan about this having supported the decision in the first place is two faced.

Point number 6 - although we are failing to score enough goals, this is not due to a lack of attempts, it is rather because not enough are on target and those that are are being saved.

Point number 7 - LJ has already taken steps to try and address the problem having signed Harkin. I am hopeful that by 31 January further steps will have been taken but those steps should be part of the plan to build a team and not knee jerk reactions to pressure from main blog moaners.

I remain confident that we will achieve a mid table finish even with the players we now have. Support your team and take a long term view.

in what way is he not supporting his team?