• 2 months later...

Well, his missus comes across as an understanding lady and not as a cheap money grabbing tart.

Her loyalty's admirable. At best he :censored:ed a random stranger behind her back, at worst - and this, of course, is the version of events that a jury of his peers accepted - he raped a basically unconscious woman. Of course she wants to marry him, no man's perfect, eh?

I'll stand corrected as I can't quite remember the details of the case that were reported but I think McDonald had picked her up in the bar where they were before and Evans had 'joined in' when they got back to the hotel.

As the level of proof is beyond reasonable doubt the jury may have not thought it beyond reasonable doubt she hadn't consented with McDonald but that she had not consented to Evans.

The problem with these things is that the press report a fraction of the story or simplify it so much that the small things these cases turn on can often be missed, especially in a story like this.

As opposed to convicted criminals who go back to work in any other job?

Not as black and white as that IMO, sport/entertainment can't really be compared to normal jobs.

I'm not trying to be twee, but Stuart Hall isn't going to waltz back into his job if/when he is released, same as Kev Webster or Ken Barlow wouldn't have been seen in the Rovers again if they had been found guilty.

I'd suggest that not many rapists get their old job back when they get out. Certainly not in high profile public facing jobs. I had no problem with Hughes but this crosses the line

I had an equal as much of a problem with Hughes as Evans

I'd suggest that not many rapists get their old job back when they get out. Certainly not in high profile public facing jobs. I had no problem with Hughes but this crosses the line

I had an equal as much of a problem with Hughes as Evans

I probably have more of a problem with Hughes than Evans. However, both will have served their time and if someone is willing to employ them then I can see no reason why they can't go back to employment.

Devils Advocate

What is the difference?

/Devils Advocate

Intent. For all that he was a :censored:, Hughes never meant to kill anyone. You can hardly put what Evans did down to stupidity. Can you imagine mingling with him at a club event with your wife or daughter there?

Also, while I'm not going to applaud Hughes for belatedly taking responsibility for his actions, he did accept responsibility and apologised to the families of the people he killed (and no,that won't bring them back, but neither would jailing Hughes for life or publicly hanging him). Ched Evans is still protesting his innocence, which can only be adding to the distress of his victim. Employing someone who's shown no remorse for raping an unconscious woman in a high profile role would send out a horrible message.

Intent. For all that he was a :censored:, Hughes never meant to kill anyone. You can hardly put what Evans did down to stupidity. Can you imagine mingling with him at a club event with your wife or daughter there?

Hughes drove off, leaving three people critically injured, one of whom died. Driving off wasn't stupid, it was a complete disregard for human life.

Hughes drove off, leaving three people critically injured, one of whom died. Driving off wasn't stupid, it was a complete disregard for human life.

I would put the running away as cowardice, fear, utter selfishness in a bad situation (of his own making). But he still didn't mean to hurt those people. Evans did choose to climb on top of an unconscious girl and :censored: her. Quite simply, I think Hughes id less bad morally here.

I would put the running away as cowardice, fear, utter selfishness in a bad situation (of his own making). But he still didn't mean to hurt those people. Evans did choose to climb on top of an unconscious girl and :censored: her. Quite simply, I think Hughes is less bad morally here.

I'd say that getting into the drivers seat of a car after having a skinful is a complete disregard of human life, even before he's left people for dead.

I tend to agree with rosa's point of view on this. Having said that, I'd rather Latics had never signed Hughes as I was never very comfortable with being associated with him. I would be pretty appalled if we were to sign a convicted rapist.

But I'm sure Connor Brown would have something to say about that.