We are where we are because of where we have been. Being a founder member of the Premiership was ultimately our downfall because we didn't get the parachute payments that they do now and the club was not run well following the fall.

We are back to where we were 50 years ago in an environment which makes it harder to attract long term supporters even though we have many fans who might turn up for top games. The gap between us both in class and income from the Premiership has widened with football on the box at saturation levels. Why buy a season ticket when mid week games compete with Prem and Champions league. You can even watch Prem games at 3 on Saturday. On top of this real incomes have had a significant downward adjustment which will never be recovered for the many.

However we have a Chairman that has stuck with us and who has found us a gem of a manager. We have seen better football this season than for some time and have started beating clubs in top ten positions again. A new stand is slowly rising. Problems with our squad have been identified and addressed in the January window - it is unlikely that they will all be a success but the signs are good. We are not fighting relegation despite the negative comments on here. We will go higher but LJ will use games to experiment once we are safe so we are only going to get a mid table finish.

I have not felt so positive about us since I travelled to QPR! In Lee Johnson and Simon Corney I trust.

The garden is full of roses.

I agree with plenty of your post. It's true we have been fortunate TTA came on board when they did. The club was in a desperate state left by CM and the shower before him. TTA have done many good things, but lets also accept the many bad decisions made and implemented in that time. Many of which TTA would now admit I would guess.

We are currently in a position (club wise) where Blitz and Gazal have walked away from bank rolling the club after a good few years doing so. I was lead to believe perhaps their business interests were not performing as well as had in the past and the club was taking too much of what disposable income was available to them. Falling crowds and failure on the pitch. Allied on top of the brick walls put in front of them for their plans re various grounds and plans meant they had enough.

They left Simon Corney in control and on paper had nothing to do with OAFC (2004) Ltd., Now whilst I'd wager Simon has more dosh than me he doesn't have the amounts Latics would need to move the club forward. Hence he always states the club is up for sale to anyone he deems fit to move it forward. I reckon that's not far off correct however, if it's not I will gladly stand corrected.

Brassbank however on the other hand Blitz and Gazal have plenty to do with I believe, again if this is not the case I'll stand corrected. Brassbank own the land? The club and land was carved up into separate company's.

We have two trains of thought, A football club fans ( where sense goes out the window) and a business mans (where business is business) TTA football club fans thought was bank rolling this ill club because they wanted to have a football club, then the business mans thought and created Brassbank to make rich from the land.

Now for me this is where we are at. A club on land we don't own, with a Chairman who does his best but ultimately knows he can't take it forward (but wants to deliver a stand that can create some revenue streams) who is also very much involved with the other two (Blitz and Gazal), and why not? A club sat on Brassbank land that now delivers revenue streams into that company.

So I have to ask myself, if a fit and proper person ever steps forward ( mad enough to want business sense out the window) to try to take this club forward, what deal would he get from the club/brassbank?

Edited by Lags

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The land was separate before TTA arrived - Brierley sold the land to OMBC. Brassbank bought the land from OMBC.

As far as I understand it, OAFC gets to use the land free of charge under the current administration. I'd doubt that this would continue if OAFC were under a different ownership.

There was talk that the housing land sale benefited OAFC, but I don't know if that actually cam through, whether the land being used for the NHS unit generates income for OAFC or Brassbank is another unknown.

I have no idea about current finances, but in October 2010, when Failsworth was in the Club’s thoughts, the Chron reported:

Athletic have posted a £1.524 million loss for the year ended December 2009 — a massive increase on the £414,000 deficit of the previous 12 months, according to accounts filed at Companies House.

Turnover fell by £277,000 to £3.26m as a result of lost income on matchdays, through reduced crowds and dwindling commercial takings.

Operating losses were up to £1.275m, from £1.012m in 2008. Total operating costs for the year 2009 were £3.9m, out of which £2.3m is made up of ‘football costs’ — meaning transfer fees paid out and wages for players and coaching staff.

And one of the major costs incurred by the club last year was a £550,000 exceptional write-off relating to work on the planning application for the redevelopment of Boundary Park for housing.

Despite a massively disappointing year on the field, Athletic’s spending on the football side actually rose by £300,000 in 2009.

The released figures also show that the club’s net liabilities are on the rise too.

Mainly made up of directors’ loans from owners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal — both no longer directors of Athletic, with the pair unwilling to bankroll the club beyond this season — the figure stood at £4.630m on December 31, 2009, up from £3.570m 12 months earlier.

Those net liabilities have grown in the 10 months since, the club confirmed, though Hardy said as far as he was aware there was no sign that Blitz and Gazal were about to call in the loans.

A lot of that loss was nothing to do with the club it was connected to the land owned by a seperate company, and they put it on our accounts (as they are entitled to do), because Blitz and Gazal were still connected to the club, and it allowed the seperate company to not have to file a tax return and remain inactive. It is essentially an entirely legal form of lowering their tax.

Now, however, it wouldn't be legal unless Blitz and Gazal started becoming involved with the club again, but probably also because that company hasn't been inactive after the sale of the houses on the old executive car-park.

IIRC properly, the club made a profit in the year we sold Stephens, I think the following year to that report. The following year we had the trip to Anfield and some other bonus money, then we had the great FA cup run last year and another trip to Anfield this season, plus the sale of Jose and Tarky.

Furthermore after that tax return Blitz and Gazal stopped being involved with the club, and our budget drastically reduced. I'm fairly certain that along with FFP, which wouldn't let us, we don't make anything like the losses we did back then now.

The land was separate before TTA arrived - Brierley sold the land to OMBC. Brassbank bought the land from OMBC.

As far as I understand it, OAFC gets to use the land free of charge under the current administration. I'd doubt that this would continue if OAFC were under a different ownership.

There was talk that the housing land sale benefited OAFC, but I don't know if that actually cam through, whether the land being used for the NHS unit generates income for OAFC or Brassbank is another unknown.

Yes I know the land belonged to OMBC after they bought it of Brierley/OAFC to bail them out. However I thought the land was sold back to TTA at a good price for land back then to make the buying/saving of the club and taking it forward more viable. In effect bringing the club back to where it was prior to Brierley breaking it up, a club on club land. Sure I know Brassbank was immediately brought into being to aquire the land so I guess really no one should have expected the land to be used to benefit OAFC. I guess we just hoped.

I would wager all the NHS generated income goes to Brassbank. The unit and the car parking arrangement.

...So I have to ask myself, if a fit and proper person ever steps forward ( mad enough to want business sense out the window) to try to take this club forward, what deal would he get from the club/brassbank?

A point from BB80 was read out to SC on BBC Radio Manc on 18.11.2013:

Nobody would realistically buy the club without the land too, and some of the fans, myself included, don’t believe that the land is for sale with the club.

Simon Corney:

Whoever comes along, if they want to buy the land, of course it’s for sale and, no offence to Oldham but it’s a piece of land in Oldham is not where myself and my partners are based, of course we’d give it up, but, at the same time, we’re in for a lot of money and we’d like to get a fair price for it. We’ll never recoup the money we’ve put into it.

A point from BB80 was read out to SC on BBC Radio Manc on 18.11.2013:

Nobody would realistically buy the club without the land too, and some of the fans, myself included, dont believe that the land is for sale with the club.

Simon Corney:

Whoever comes along, if they want to buy the land, of course its for sale and, no offence to Oldham but its a piece of land in Oldham is not where myself and my partners are based, of course wed give it up, but, at the same time, were in for a lot of money and wed like to get a fair price for it. Well never recoup the money weve put into it.

There's not going to be enough land left for prospective investors I wouldn't have thought. I'm pretty sure, new stand or not, if we were ever to get a new owner, we'd be playing away from BP.

The garden is full of roses.

I agree with plenty of your post. It's true we have been fortunate TTA came on board when they did. The club was in a desperate state left by CM and the shower before him. TTA have done many good things, but lets also accept the many bad decisions made and implemented in that time. Many of which TTA would now admit I would guess.

We are currently in a position (club wise) where Blitz and Gazal have walked away from bank rolling the club after a good few years doing so. I was lead to believe perhaps their business interests were not performing as well as had in the past and the club was taking too much of what disposable income was available to them. Falling crowds and failure on the pitch. Allied on top of the brick walls put in front of them for their plans re various grounds and plans meant they had enough.

They left Simon Corney in control and on paper had nothing to do with OAFC (2004) Ltd., Now whilst I'd wager Simon has more dosh than me he doesn't have the amounts Latics would need to move the club forward. Hence he always states the club is up for sale to anyone he deems fit to move it forward. I reckon that's not far off correct however, if it's not I will gladly stand corrected.

Brassbank however on the other hand Blitz and Gazal have plenty to do with I believe, again if this is not the case I'll stand corrected. Brassbank own the land? The club and land was carved up into separate company's.

We have two trains of thought, A football club fans ( where sense goes out the window) and a business mans (where business is business) TTA football club fans thought was bank rolling this ill club because they wanted to have a football club, then the business mans thought and created Brassbank to make rich from the land.

Now for me this is where we are at. A club on land we don't own, with a Chairman who does his best but ultimately knows he can't take it forward (but wants to deliver a stand that can create some revenue streams) who is also very much involved with the other two (Blitz and Gazal), and why not? A club sat on Brassbank land that now delivers revenue streams into that company.

So I have to ask myself, if a fit and proper person ever steps forward ( mad enough to want business sense out the window) to try to take this club forward, what deal would he get from the club/brassbank?

You're right in regards to Brassbank owning the land but they have never separated club and land. This was done pre-Moore.

When TTA bought the land they openly said it would go into Brassbank. Although developing the land for money has always been up there, my reckoning is that it was spit into a separate company so as they could get a mortgage. Something the newly formed OAFC 2004 was unlikely to be able to do.

LJ says in the Chron:

“We have to survive on the odd player going for a big fee — that’s not a secret. Between Tarkowski, Jose Baxter and the cup run we still haven’t broken even."

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/84494/window-wonders

Basically confirms we got jack :censored: for Tarky.