Does size matter ?

So, JCH.

Wilson.

Erm...

That's 2 big, strong sides we've played in 4 days.

Nothing exeptional. Nothing out of the ordinary.

But, organised, well drilled, functional, all players knowing their roles. Cynical and battle hardened, knowing how to run the clock down and see games out. 7 or 8 big; strong functional outfield players with a sprinkling of 2 or 3 quality players into the mix and it Bob's your Uncle.

Add in Wolves too, who were the same.

We on the other hand, are the exact opposite right now - unorganised and without the players to match up against the oppostion teams pound or pound.

So, JCH.

Wilson.

Erm...

That's 2 big, strong sides we've played in 4 days.

But, organised, well drilled, functional, all players knowing their roles. Cynical and battle hardened, knowing how to run the clock down and see games out. 7 or 8 big; strong functional outfield players with a sprinkling of 2 or 3 quality players into the mix and it Bob's your Uncle.

Add in Wolves too, who were the same.

We on the other hand, are the exact opposite right now - unorganised and without the players to match up against the oppostion teams pound or pound.

So should we bring in a couple of loanees who meet the description, perhaps not catching with those Division One clubs you mention, also maybe at Brentford?.. it's odds on they have more like them in their squad, or should we bring in raw kids from the Premier or Championship in the current situation?

The other option is to stick with what we have got and hope we don't get steam rollered by any other teams.

I'm not defending tonight's fiasco, not one iota, but Rotherham were better than 'ordinary'.

They have some superb attacking players in that side. They were well drilled in being dynamic and inventive. They were faster and simply classier.

Preston are an organised powerhouse. Rotherham's are organised but great to watch too (if you're not on the end of a beating by them).

We're neither a collective or a powerhouse. We're a slow, sideways passing and hoofball group of individuals with no confidence.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were promoted with that momentum and attacking unit. They're pure quality.

I'm not defending tonight's fiasco, not one iota, but Rotherham were better than 'ordinary'.

They have some superb attacking players in that side. They were well drilled in being dynamic and inventive. They were faster and simply classier.

Preston are an organised powerhouse. Rotherham's are organised but great to watch too (if you're not on the end of a beating by them).

We're neither a collective or a powerhouse. We're a slow, sideways passing and hoofball group of individuals with no confidence.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were promoted with that momentum and attacking unit. They're pure quality.

We are making every team that comes to BP look like Real Madrid though?

They can score goals but their defence was poor, as it was in the game at their place- where we scored twice with 10 men. Their defence is what will keep them in this league for next season.

We are making every team that comes to BP look like Real Madrid though?

Teams can afford to attack us with little worry of defensive vulnerability as our strikers are below average, our midfield don't cross the half way line and our defenders hoof it to men who can't compete in the air.

3rd least home goals says it all. Where does our attacking threat actually come from other than Harkins?

Philliskirk is horribly out of form, MacDonald has about 4 all season, so has JCH, then what...

Still, Rotherham are a very classy side regardless.

I'd point you toward the bit in my post where insaid they were essentially a big side with functional, solid players who know their job; and a sprinkling of real quality to finish it off.

For me, Frecklington, Smallwood and Pringle are that - the others; the likes of Skartz, Morgan, Arnasson, Bradley, Revell etc are the functional big lot.

Preston were similar, so too Wolves.

No side this season has made me use the word quality to discribe them; at all.

Previous years, Brighton, Southampton, Peterborough and Bristol City have. Not this season, and not Rotherham.

Organised? Well drilled, well set up? Very decent players doing a decent functional job? Yep to all that for me; but thats not quality.

I'd point you toward the bit in my post where insaid they were essentially a big side with functional, solid players who know their job; and a sprinkling of real quality to finish it off.

For me, Frecklington, Smallwood and Pringle are that - the others; the likes of Skartz, Morgan, Arnasson, Bradley, Revell etc are the functional big lot.

Previous years, Brighton, Southampton, Peterborough and Bristol City have. Not this season, and not Rotherham.

Organised? Well drilled, well set up? Very decent players doing a decent functional job? Yep to all that for me; but thats not quality.

The template doing well in this division perhaps ?

I think Wolves and Preston were similar to one another, but Rotherham don't fit that mould to me.

They're more pacey and unpredictable. You won't see Preston or Wolves play the one touch football or the no-look passes that Rotherham do.

Much more exciting but less defensively stable. I'd take any sort of successful style of course though.

Can you list the number of big, strong, fit and quick players on the Latics books, most other teams in this division seem to have plenty of them.

I said something similar to my brother last night as we lined up on the edge if their box waiting for Harkins to pass a free kick straight to their keeper again. We are a team of midgets.

With no excuses for how shocking we are, and how far away from the promise at the start of the season we are - Preston/Wolves/Rotherham/MK all have larger budgets than our own, and can afford those quality players. If we were in a position similar to theirs we wouldnt have gotten rid of Tarkowski and Baxter and would have that quality in the side.

For years the big physical well organised sides have gotten out of this division, we havent had that since Ronnie Moore, its just awful to watch at times but its effective.

With no excuses for how shocking we are, and how far away from the promise at the start of the season we are - Preston/Wolves/Rotherham/MK all have larger budgets than our own, and can afford those quality players. If we were in a position similar to theirs we wouldnt have gotten rid of Tarkowski and Baxter and would have that quality in the side.

For years the big physical well organised sides have gotten out of this division, we havent had that since Ronnie Moore, its just awful to watch at times but its effective.

Perhaps Dowie had the strongest quickest team ?.he did have some money to spend, but still brought in players like Fitz Hall from non league who fitted the profile of what's required.

Why wasn't some of the cup money, fees from Tarkowski and Baxter and wages saved by players leaving invested in buying (not just loanees) the right type of players to get us out of this mess?

Edited by BP1960

I do think we have a bit of an obsession in this country with rejecting players too quickly because of their size. But it is a bit of a problem for us when just about every match up on the pitch is won by the opposition in terms of size and strength. A real oversight in recruitment.

I do think we have a bit of an obsession in this country with rejecting players too quickly because of their size. But it is a bit of a problem for us when just about every match up on the pitch is won by the opposition in terms of size and strength. A real oversight in recruitment.

Maybe not just this country, Bayern Munich seem to have built a sizeable team.

However, this division in particular seems to have many muscular teams, perhaps managers think its the best way to compete at this level?

Maybe not just this country, Bayern Munich seem to have built a sizeable team.

However, this division in particular seems to have many muscular teams, perhaps managers think its the best way to compete at this level?

I'm sure they do. But watching Preston on Saturday, they may get promoted but would come straight back down in my opinion without a major overhaul of the team. There's too much quality in the Championship and they would get found out quite easily. Even we weren't all that far off getting something out of that game.