Players you have played with/against

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrone Mears when I was a kid at a Oldham Arhletic Soccer school/half term camps and a few years back at a kids soccer team I was involved with had a kick about with Kelvin lomax and Matty Barlow

Edited by oafctom

I always look at professional keepers and wonder whether theyd do a job out the sticks. Based on Simonsen I guess not!

I also played with Will Buckley at Dogdale, and cant remember him standing out, but now hes touted around the majority of lower league Prem clubs! Shows how good we are as scouts!

Some might, I suppose, but not Simonsen.

I played with and against another keeper at college, Lee Adams, who almost made it. He had trials at Sunderland, Blackburn, Burnley and a load of lower league sides. He was pretty short; I suspect he'd have gotten into the professional game if he'd been a foot taller. Playing against him annoyed the hell out of me because he used to save shots that would have gone in against any of the other keepers I would have been up against but I did manage to score past him once (in about a dozen games).

He was gash outfield too.

When i was 9 i went to a training camp which was with the FA and Tesco, Frank Lampard and Kelly Smith was there and i played alongside them. That was 6 years ago when Lampard was playing at his peak however he was playing against 8/9 year olds so didn't see his full ability.

I trust he was less of a prick than Michael Owen when he was playing against kids?

Funnily enough, Andy, my next post was gonna say that I've also played with such footballing names like :

John Beard, Wayne Hurst, BigFin, Keith Powrie, Luke Hagan, Darren Jackson, Will Gough, Andrew Oakes, Brian Lord and Rob Stockford...

Were you not one of the fortunate few to take the field with me?

Played against Tom Pratt last year at Ashton 6-a-side. Made his debut as a sub for Bury against us last year when we won 1-0. Cracking little player with pace and a bullet shot despite being small. Now with no club.

Can you ask him to help out Droylsden?.. if they win a game this season he will become a national hero.

Edited by BP1960

With

Danny Forde

He used to captain our reserves – was a good midfielder with a decent engine. I didn’t think he was good enough to play for us at a senior level but thought he could have made a career the league below.

Turns out he is in Wales

http://www.welshpremier.co.uk/PlayerDisplay.ink?squadno=44785&seasonL=2013/2014&Type=9

Matty Wolfenden

Played football and Rugby League with Matty. He was outstanding at football and pretty good at Rugby.

No one could get near him when we were playing football and he could finish from anywhere. I thought he had more than enough to make it at Latics.

I’m a few years older than him but he used to play for our age group at Waterhead RLFC (he played town team too). Lightening quick with a great step. Good kicking game too. Similar mould to Rob Burrow. Kevin Sinfield was at Waterhead then too. He was awesome and was playing open age well before his time.

He’s scoring goals at FCUM at the moment and they rate him highly be interesting to see how he gets on as they go through the leagues.

Against

Tyrone Mears

Bolton Wanderers right back. He played up front when I used to play against him. I got sent off for bringing him down when he was clean through late one game when we were winning 1-0. He scored from the resulting free kick and then scored in injury time to win it. Very fast and very strong. The best player I ever played with or against. He was on City’s books at the time.

Carl Serrant

I played against Carl Serrant when he was at Farsley Celtic he was really good on the ball and very hard to beat. Never saw him run as it seemed he didn’t have to.

Chris Porter

My School played his school (think it was an all boys school in Blackburn) in the cup. He was a big gangly centre forward. Seemed to be one of them players who was just in the right place all the time. We lost 3-0 and he scored 2. He was decent but I don’t think he was signed at the time.

Ok. Ryan Giggs (formerly Wilson) Aidy Mike, for Oldham Boys

David May, Jason Wilcox - FA Youth cup for Chadderton

And as I'm now rapidly approaching knackers yard limits, only 4 weeks ago had the pleasure of playing against Paul Scholes for an hour - class, class, class. Oh and Craig Dudley!!

A smattering of others I'm sure over the 27 years of playing!

gone into open age football this season and was playing against andy ritchies brother who was playing for uppermill 1st team.. he was a class act and was probably the oldest on the pitch, i know a few lads here there and everywhere at clubs across the country but as im 17, not many have made a name for themselves yet - i have no doubt they will though, ones captain for england u18s, one is captain for Fulham U17s and ones currently at huddersfield who made his proffesional debut this season at 17!

Edited by kieranmcandrew

Tyrone Mears [/size]

Bolton Wanderers right back. He played up front when I used to play against him. I got sent off for bringing him down when he was clean through late one game when we were winning 1-0. He scored from the resulting free kick and then scored in injury time to win it. Very fast and very strong. The best player I ever played with or against. He was on Citys books at the time.

So that quite a few of us who have played with or against Tyrone Mears.

Local lad, bad injury and more than likely to be released by Bolton. Wonder if we could be route back into the game again for him next season?

Was lucky enough to play alongside Bryan Robson twice about five years ago.

Anyone remember him playing against us back in the 80's, when we took on United in a hastily arranged winter friendly? Games were being called off everywhere, but we had our undersoil heating. Robbo was at his peak then - played the first half as a sweeper and in his usual marauding midfield roll in the second. Absolute world class. Still rate it as the best performance I have seen from an opposition player at Boundary Park.