Players you have played with/against

Rather than the :censored:e thats floating around the 'Rockyroadgate' and after seeing someone played against Luke Simpson and gave the view he wasnt that good, I was wondering which professional players you have come up against or played with at various levels and what you thought of them.

I played with Deane Smalley through school and he was no world beater until the final year when he came on leaps and bounds and transformed himself. I still have him as the best player Ive ever played with, as at the time he would win games on his own.

I also played with Craig Dudley (the overweight, unskilled version) who was awful and I would comfortably say I have played with much better players who have never progressed beyond Sunday league level.
Ive also played against Matthew Tipton at 6 a side, and take great credit that me and Paddy No Wheels both managed to meg him, although our defensive partnership did allow him a very easy hat trick. Was still a good player and was just before he moved to Ireland to score hat tricks against better defenders.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Buchanan (currently playing for Preston and ex Bury and Tranmere) was a year younger than us at our school. Played against him as a kid. He never stood out in comparison to some others

yep I played against tarky a couple of times at school, he definitely played centre mid and absolutely bossed it.

If I remember correctly too I went to Hopwood Hall College doing sports diploma and a mate of mine had a trial for the football academy - he said Tarky was one of the names on the list who didn't turn up so I imagine he'd signed professionally for Oldham around that time.

Played against Nathan Murray; he was a cracking player. Also played against Steve Simonsen, the first time he was playing as a centre half and was :censored:e, the next time he was a keeper and was class.

I always look at professional keepers and wonder whether theyd do a job out the sticks. Based on Simonsen I guess not!

I also played with Will Buckley at Dogdale, and cant remember him standing out, but now hes touted around the majority of lower league Prem clubs! Shows how good we are as scouts!

Used to play against Mark Robins (showing my age here), when he was at Boundary Park Juniors and I was at Dukinfield Tigers...he never looked that special.

Also used to train with Tony Naylor (Crewe, Port Vale and Cheltenham) and was just a goal machine......same as he was throughout his professional career.

yep I played against tarky a couple of times at school, he definitely played centre mid and absolutely bossed it.

Played against Tarky, I'm the same age as him. Played against him when he played for Medlock Rangers I believe and at the time he was a centre midfielder. At the time he was easily best player on the pitch and was physically double everyone's size

Explains why he was so good coming forward from the back with the ball.

I'll always remember Liverpool not being able to cope with him when he did it in January.

Played against Wes Wilkinson a few times in 5aside. He loved to take the piss.

Also, I went to school with Thomas Evans who used to play in goal for Sheff Utd, Palace and Scunthorpe. Had a blinder in a Wembley play off final once I believe. He never used to like going in goals at lunch time and as it was my ball I got given the duty once of telling him to play in nets or :censored: off. I like to take a bit of credit for that Wembley performance.

He's a couple of years & a couple of school years below me age wise; but I played against Tyrone Mears in a cup final once.

He was on Man City's books at the time, but had had permission to play in the game. We :censored: ourselves that he was going to be some sort of wonder player as he was at City and was coming in specially to play. Turns out he was pretty average on the ball, but rapid. And that did for us, minimal technique; he just kicked it past us and outpaced us every time; then finished each chance. Scored 3 or 4.

He was a striker it seems earlier on, until switching to full back.

Just Googled him as I has no idea where he was at now, or even if he had a club at the moment. Turns out he's at Bolton but doesn't seem to be playing, recovering from a bad leg break it seems.

Edited by slystallone

He's a couple of years & a couple of school years below me age wise; but I played against Tyrone Mears in a cup final once.

He was on Man City's books at the time, but had had permission to play in the game. We :censored: ourselves that he was going to be some sort of wonder player as he was at City and was coming in specially to play. Turns out he was pretty average on the ball, but rapid. And that did for us, minimal technique; he just kicked it past us and outpaced us every time; then finished each chance. Scored 3 or 4.

He was a striker it seems earlier on, until switching to full back.

Just Googled him as I has no idea where he was at now, or even if he had a club at the moment. Turns out he's at Bolton but doesn't seem to be playing, recovering from a bad leg break it seems.

Played a couple of times with him on Chaddy Park when I was really young, so dont really remember playign against him, but I seem to remember him buying a purple Bentley he used to cruise around Firwood Park in when he turned 18 at City.

I played for failsworth in my school days and time and again we'd beat Chris Taylor's springhead . He was technically decent but the main reason he stood out was his constant moaning/whingeing .

We also had some ding dong battles with a fletcher moss team that included Neal Trotman and Wayne Welbeck (Danny's older brother) . Fair to say Trotman stood out a mile both physically & technically .

Played against Darron McDonough quite a few years back now. He was marking me in top of the table clash.I bagged a hat trick in a 3-1 win.

I will let you guess who he was playing for at the time.

A. Oldham Athletic

B. Luton Town

C. Cartshaft

D. Newcastle United.

Against Chris Taylor at Springhead, and Ishmael Miller (Yeovil) for Moston Brook used to bang a few in.

Matty Barlow once or twice for school and a with/against few others who're still floating about non league.

im sure at least one of Edgehill brothers (City) played against us in the sunday league cup a few years back......

Against Chris Taylor at Springhead, and Ishmael Miller (Yeovil) for Moston Brook used to bang a few in.

Matty Barlow once or twice for school and a with/against few others who're still floating about non league.

im sure at least one of Edgehill brothers (City) played against us in the sunday league cup a few years back......

Forgot about him! I played with him in Primary school, our other striker was better!

I know a lad who got player of the season when Taylor got picked up by latics from Springhead, and said he only just caught the team and wasnt anything impressive. Taylors sure shown his doubters!

I have played with and against a few at various different ages. I played for Blackburn when I was younger and came up against Ross Barkley, who was sensational, Adam Forshaw (now at Brentford), Luke Garbutt (was on loan at Colchester). Also played against Courtney Meppen-Walter who didn't stand out above the others in academy level and played against Lomana Lua Lua, Tresor Kandol, Efe Sodje, Sam Sodje, Anthony Willimas in a charity game in which I scored a diving header, also on DVD, that was at Gigg Lane. Played alongside Oldham defender Adam Lockwood, great leader, speaker, helped the young lads out a lot at Bury and also against Luke Simpson at schoolboy level

Played alongside Ronnie Blair, and in the same school team as Kevin Randall who went on to score almost 200 goals in league football, he was often the scourge of the Latics. Strangely we both met 40 years later not knowing we were both scouts for football league clubs.

I played against Nedum Onuhua when he was at Hulme Grammar...also ran the 100m and 200m against him. He was built like a 25 year old from 14 years old. Also played against the lad who got in trouble for drink driving from Failsworth who's name escapes me...

Played alongside Ronnie Blair, and in the same school team as Kevin Randall who went on to score almost 200 goals in league football, he was often the scourge of the Latics. Strangely we both met 40 years later not knowing we were both scouts for football league clubs.

Ronnie Blair's wife was my Geography teacher