Players you have played with/against

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to school with Ishmael Miller. He towered above everyone and was "hardest" or "cock of the school" but a decent lad.

Played a lot of basketball coz city wouldn't really let him play for the school team and was quality at it. Brought his mate micah richards along to the odd kick-about.

We had a couple of lads on bury and utd books at school. One a GK and one a CM and took the piss out of every one they ever came up against, I thought they'd 100% make it. One's now a recruitment consultant and the other in the Marines.

I used to work in Cyprus and we all used to play 11 a side once a week. One day a group of blokes turned up on mopeds and asked us for a game to which we obliged. They then lifted the seats and pulled out their moulded boots and cones/markers. And proceeded to "warm up" in 100 degrees!!!

Upon closer inspection we found that it was Lloyd doyley and half of his pals from Watford just after they got relegated! On their pre season hols! There was 26 of us doing rolling subs against about 9/10 of them and they annihilated us.

I've played alongside Will Buckley just as last season ended. Can't say i noticed much of his football ability to make me think 'wow' (then again I wouldn't think he would try too hard in what was an 8 a side kick about). The main difference was how much more easily he made ground and covered it.

This reminds me of a bit of wishful thinking that i have from time to time and that's i'd love to have a chance at playing in a full 11 a side game against the best team/best players in the world. Just to fully appreciate the skill levels they play at (not saying i don't in some way now). Those that played in the staff v fans game commented on how impossoble it was to get the ball off Lee Johnson. Imagine how unreal it would be against the likes of Messi. Frightening to think of. Not some peoples idea of fun but it would be interesting!

Just remembered I've sort of played against Dean smalley, him and his mates used to always have a kick around on the court at princess park (chadderton) and we'd end up having them a game if we were there at the same time, he was a :censored:ing awful finisher.

Just remembered I've sort of played against Dean smalley, him and his mates used to always have a kick around on the court at princess park (chadderton) and we'd end up having them a game if we were there at the same time, he was a :censored:ing awful finisher.

He's improved, 5 in 9 for Oxford United,

A couple of years ago I used to play 5 a side on Sundays at Stockport we used to play this one team who were pretty much unplayable the lad up top I was marking played for Wrexham. 2 others had been on the books at Stockport county as juniors. The goalkeeper was short but brilliant and when he came out of net it was like trying to tackle dust it was Adan Le Fondre and it was when he was playing for Rotherham. Since then I've always wanted to see what would happen if reading had their keeper sent off and had no keeper on the bench if they would turn to him

I played for Oldham NALGO with Gordon Hurst when he was 40. He was born in Oldham and played for Charlton Athletic from 1946 to 1957 in nearly 400 games, including the FA Cup Final in 1947. We both worked for Oldham Council and both stopped playing for NALGO in 1965, when I left Oldham and he became manager of Latics.

British Pathé film footage of the 1947 Cup Final (Charlton in white and he's No. 7):

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-cup-final-11

Alas no footage of Oldham NALGO!

Bloody hell NALGO, thats one for the young 'uns

I remember marching with them with my Dad in the mid 70s, I saw Tony Benn speak when I was 7 ...now there is a player !!!!!! :OASISscarf:

by the way Diego ..last time I posted you thought I lived on the 4 oaks estate!! I don't!!!! but Im the only lefty in the village!!

Edited by 4oakslatic

...by the way Diego ..last time I posted you thought I lived on the 4 oaks estate!! I don't!!!! but Im the only lefty in the village!!

When I left Oldham I went to work for the Royal Borough of Sutton Coldfield (now swallowed up by Birmingham). I used to take visitors round the Four Oaks Estate to see how the other half live.

Played against Febian Brandy and Tom Cleverley who were in the same United team when I was 14.

Also played with/against Joe Thompson, Eardley, Smalley, Alessandra and Charlie Barnett (was at Liverpool but scored against Latics for Tranmere in Royle's return match)...

And Richard Metcalfe..

When I played for the school team at Bluecoat we used to play against a Grange team with Paul Hilton in, he went on to play regularly as centre back for West Ham in the eighties, didn't stand out as a footballer at school to me but he was known to be 'ard'.

I played for Oldham NALGO with Gordon Hurst when he was 40. He was born in Oldham and played for Charlton Athletic from 1946 to 1957 in nearly 400 games, including the FA Cup Final in 1947. We both worked for Oldham Council and both stopped playing for NALGO in 1965, when I left Oldham and he became manager of Latics.

British Pathé film footage of the 1947 Cup Final (Charlton in white and he's No. 7):

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-cup-final-11

Alas no footage of Oldham NALGO!

Ha, my dad knew him. At least I presume it was him, he often talked about someone he knew who played for Charlton in that cup final. I think they knew each other pre-war. I didn't realise he went on to manage Latics though.

Ha, my dad knew him. At least I presume it was him, he often talked about someone he knew who played for Charlton in that cup final. I think they knew each other pre-war. I didn't realise he went on to manage Latics though.

Somebody once said you can learn something different every day on OWTB.

Went to school with Ishmael Miller. He towered above everyone and was "hardest" or "cock of the school" but a decent lad.

Played a lot of basketball coz city wouldn't really let him play for the school team and was quality at it. Brought his mate micah richards along to the odd kick-about.

We had a couple of lads on bury and utd books at school. One a GK and one a CM and took the piss out of every one they ever came up against, I thought they'd 100% make it. One's now a recruitment consultant and the other in the Marines.

He's scored 2 for Yeovil tonight.

My Dad when he was at med school put (Sir) Trevor Brooking in his pocket for 89 minutes and 50 seconds when one of his teams played West Ham reserves. Think you might be able to guess what happened in the other 10 seconds though.

Just like Latics, conceded from a corner kick ?