Retained list announced (4 stay, 5 out)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Winchester got one, Kusunga will be very good alongside Wilson if we can keep him fit and no surprise at all that Mellor got a new deal.

Of the out of contract players who have been offered a deal, I can only see Connor Brown staying on, simply because he's the only one who won't get an offer off anyone else...

Happy Winchester got one, Kusunga will be very good alongside Wilson if we can keep him fit and no surprise at all that Mellor got a new deal.

Of the out of contract players who have been offered a deal, I can only see Connor Brown staying on, simply because he's the only one who won't get an offer off anyone else...

I reckon Rachubka will stay, potential for him to develop his coaching career aswell with us not having a GK coach.

Mellor and Winchester both have potential to progress and become very good players if they can get their fitness (Mellor gave Winchester some weight) correct.

If not they will do a job for the odd game here and there covering injuries and suspensions for minimum wage. Kusunga needs a full pre season under his belt to keep his fitness and if hes fit, hes a very good defender.

The more I think about it the more it seems reasonable that Mellor and Winchester are being kept on as squad players.

- I doubt they're the highest earners;

- they know the club and the manager;

- between them they can cover various positions; and

- it would probably cost us more to try to sign replacements (who may not work out).

I like the idea of keeping some continuity in the squad. I can see us bringing in, at a minimum:

- a goalkeeper if Rachubka goes

- a right back if Brown goes

- a left back to replace Grounds

- a pair of wingers

- a midfielder if Wes goes

- a striker to replace MacDonald

That's 4-7 players in, which I hope means we don't have another closed season of players gelling with each other from scratch.

Based on nothing, I think we'll see six players coming in over the summer. Which probably won't go down well with some, but that's how it is nowadays. I like the excitement of new players coming in. It's like Christmas.

Time for Mellor and Winchester to step up next season. Last season to impress I think. Winchester has it, just needs a run of games and a designated position. Mellor can clearly play football and is one of the better passers but needs to get in shape and believe.

I'm a Fan of Winchester, you think about it, how often is he just thrown on in any position and performs well?

Believe his position is a CM? Personally don't think he has the bite for that role. Could easily play on the wing, has the technical ability

On the whole I am quite happy with the list.

Kusunga and Wilson came here to prove themselves and have shown up quite well. I can't see them being on major money. Winchester and Mellor just don't seem able to get it together for long enough to nail a spot down. Again, they will be on low-end contracts and fit in with LJ's skill ethic. They may well prove very useful squad members in a more experienced and rounded side.

I also expect LJ will be able offer Wes a substantial upgrade to his present deal. When he signed his last deal 2yrs ago Wes had suffered a couple of longish injuries (as he had before he arrived here). I think his current contract will have taken this into consideration. He has certainly proved his fitness this term. He may well be persuaded to stay.

No mention of Lockwood, is he on another 12 months?

I am very optimistic that LJ will be able to change tack a little this summer and go for quality over quantity. A genuine pacey winger who can consistently get around a full back, a goal scorer who has been scoring this season and midfielder who can reliably slot a forward pass towards a runner.

I am looking forward to the next 2 months with anticipation - as always.

Lockwood triggered a clause in his contract earlier on, something like if he started 13 games he would be under contract the following year.

Like what exactly?

The opportunity to build a link with Liverpool. Knowledge, experience from them. A friendly.

Hand me downs essentially but for probably not much more than £400 a week I think it might be worth it, plus we get a squad player in an area where we may be losing a few.

I'd have done a Tony Hayers on these two and cut them loose, much like garlic bread they have been the future for years, if they were good enough then they should have played 100+ games each by now.

We should be playing them instead of getting random loanees in.

Time for Mellor and Winchester to step up next season. Last season to impress I think. Winchester has it, just needs a run of games and a designated position. Mellor can clearly play football and is one of the better passers but needs to get in shape and believe.

I'm a Fan of Winchester, you think about it, how often is he just thrown on in any position and performs well?

Believe his position is a CM? Personally don't think he has the bite for that role. Could easily play on the wing, has the technical ability

Right midfield

Looks like we haven't taken the option to sign worrall after his latest tweet! @DavidWorrall7: Looks like my time is up at @OfficialOAFC like to thank the players staff an fans for everything an hope you all the best for next season.

Looks like we haven't taken the option to sign worrall after his latest tweet! @DavidWorrall7: Looks like my time is up at @OfficialOAFC like to thank the players staff an fans for everything an hope you all the best for next season.

Cant say Im too bothered, but tanks for the effort David, dont score against us when you next play us.

Did we have an option on Worrall? I thought Evans said when he signed that he wouldn't be moving permanently.

We should be playing them instead of getting random loanees in.

Exactly,

Winchester playing 30+ games at RM or CM rather than the chopping and changing between Worrall, Schmeltz, Dayton, Byrom, Dunfield, Kissock, Petrasso & Rusnak would surely have been better. Short and long term.

Not to mention saving us the cost of a decent striker.

Edited by HarryBosch

Exactly,

Winchester playing 30+ games at RM or CM rather than the chopping and changing between Worrall, Schmeltz, Dayton, Byrom, Dunfield, Kissock, Petrasso & Rusnak would surely have been better. Short and long term.

Don't disagree, but the chances have been there for them to nail down a place and they haven't been able to.

Worrall looked like another featherweight. He rarely delivered the type of service needed. Another Dayton, at best.

Mellor? Why? He's slow, low on stamina and, also, a bit of a lightweight. I really don't get it with him.

Winchester is also lacking in terms of strength and stamina, but i've always thought he is talented. However, if you've not got the physical elements at his age, it's unlikely you're ever going to have it. One last chance.

I'm glad we've kept Gen. He's a good defender, but, again, he's going to have to step up to the mark this season.

Mellor? Why? He's slow, low on stamina and, also, a bit of a lightweight. I really don't get it with him.

He's cheap and can do a reasonable job in several different positions, one or more of which we're about to lose senior players in.

If he ever gets the chance for a run of games in one of those positions we might even see him do a better than reasonable job. Like he did alongside Smith at the end of the previous season.