Friendly vs Newcastle

First half poor.

Newcastle kept the ball well, got behind us down our left side easily and the goal was a beauty wellying in the rebound from a free kick. JCH showed moments of promise. Dayton playing centrally got involved, if a little wasteful at times. Forte impressed me on the left getting in more decent crosses in a 15 minute spell than Montaño did in his Latics career.

Second half was different in that Newcastle were a bit sloppier on the ball and when we made the biggest mass substitution I've ever seen we seemed a but perkier. Llera and Winchester looked good to me. Mellor's corner for the equaliser was a gem. Mo Sheriff didn't impress while the oddly shaped Gros showed moments of acceleration that looked beyond his physique and finished well for the winner and won the corner for the equaliser.

Impressive near 3,000 crowd. Newcastle fans apparently poorly behaved in the RRE. Helicopter over the area as we speak.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made all our subs after about 60 minutes and both sets of defenders played well. Centre-halves very solid.

Kelly and Jones played well, bothlook like good signings. As does Dieng. Took his goal with possibly his 1st or 2nd touch. Winchester also impressed in the middle.

Forte got round the fullback a couple of times and got some good crosses in. Gros is a big lump but got his goal, a shot on his left that went through their keeper.

Athleticos sang throughout.

Happy happy.

So, scouting report from those that went.

How did the new lads look in midfield? How was Kelly & Jones? What about the new French lad when he came on?

Of the trialists, how did they do?

And - formation(s) - what was it / were they?

Cheers

Sly

Kelly and especially Jones did well, Dieng looks a class player.

Forte some good runs and crosses, Sherrif did ok, Llera composed, Gros a lower division Hulk.

Kusunga outstanding, looked on a par with their defenders. J Wilson very quick.

Only dissapontments for me were full backs B Wilson and Mills who didn't get forward much, Brown was far better and JCH and Turner who looked off the pace.

Some good competition in midfield now with Dayton, Winchester and Mellor also giving good displays.

First half formation a flexible 4-4-2

Second half formation much better 4-5-1.

One of the highlights was a Newcastle attacker bursting into the penalty area only to meet with Lockwood who stood like a brick wall, with the attacker bouncing off the centre backs belly.

Edited by BP1960

for me jones showed glimpses, Kelly disappointed , Dayton flashes , defence pretty good . their goal was a peach of a shot after ball had come back off the wall . but apart from that they hadn't ripped us apart . we seemed to be 4-1-4-1

second half after the mass substitutions Winchester ,mellor and brown brought energy . timothee was neat and scored good header. gros did little until he scored, I don't rate him. I want to find someone better .

I thought mo sherrif was lively and is a better player than patressco was . want another look at him .

I think forte might be worth a contract . he showed exactly what we want to see someone who beats a player and puts a cross in , no messing .sign him .also he is a team player .

that's my opinions . other people have theirs .

For a team that get 50,000 at home, really...?

For a more than two hour drive to a club two leagues below for their first pre-season friendly?

Christ, only half the Newcastle team turned up and Pardew looked like he could broker peace between Israel and Palestine.

Edited by blueatheart

First half poor.

Newcastle kept the ball well, got behind us down our left side easily and the goal was a beauty wellying in the rebound from a free kick. JCH showed moments of promise. Dayton playing centrally got involved, if a little wasteful at times. Forte impressed me on the left getting in more decent crosses in a 15 minute spell than Montaño did in his Latics career.

Second half was different in that Newcastle were a bit sloppier on the ball and when we made the biggest mass substitution I've ever seen we seemed a but perkier. Llera and Winchester looked good to me. Mellor's corner for the equaliser was a gem. Mo Sheriff didn't impress while the oddly shaped Gros showed moments of acceleration that looked beyond his physique and finished well for the winner and won the corner for the equaliser.

Impressive near 3,000 crowd. Newcastle fans apparently poorly behaved in the RRE. Helicopter over the area as we speak.

Helicopters looking for someone who's escaped from oldham hospital apparently

Agree with that summary but for the first half formation BP1960.......both halves we played 4-5-1 (Clarke Harris on his own up front in the first half and Gros on his own in the second).

LOL at Gros being a lower leagues Hulk!!

Edited by Chadbarmy

Agree with that summary but for the first half formation BP1960.......both halves we played 4-5-1 (Clarke Harris on his own up front in the first half and Gros on his own in the second).

LOL at Gros being a lower leagues Hulk!!

The only thing is if Turner is supposed to be a striker he should have made the two up front.

Edited by BP1960

First half wasn't bad but wasn't that good. At times in first half our passing and movement were good but quite a few times we played it behind the player instead of infront and gave it away a bit cheaply. Second half was better and we lookedto break forward alot quicker than in first half.

Disappointed slightly in B Wilson & Mills, they didn't get forward enough and didn't add to much.

Kusunga & Wilson looked solid and dealt with the Newcastle attack quite well.

Turner was barely in the game, not a right winger.

Kelly, Jones & Dayton did quite well in midfield, some good movement and pressing but wayward passing at times.

Thought Forte drifted in and out of the game a bit, but in a few decent crosses and really should of squared it to JCH in second half. Definitely worth another look though.

JCH didn't do much, bit slow in movement at times.

Lockwood, Llera and Brown all looked solid when came on and Brown offered us some decent runs down the left.

Dieng looks class and should be a starter in midfield.

Winchester and Mellor did well, especially Mellor I thought (and a decent corner for once!).

The right winger who came on did alright, be interesting to see how he does against Melbourne on Saturday.

Gros played quite well and put himself about aswell as a decent turn of pace.

here s my view for wht it is worth...bear in mind this is based on todays game and todays game only and also bear in mind we were playing on the whole premier league opposition...

1st half

Set up 4-1-4-1

Chubs,

B Wilson, Kasunga, Wilson, Mills,

Kelly,

Turner,Dayton, Jones, Forte, ,

JCH

I thought we started bright for the 1st 10 minutes keeping possession of the ball and passing and moving like it was a training drill. I think Newcastle gave us a bit too much respect and whilst we had the majority of the ball we struggled to make any clear cut chances or really press on with it. About 15 mins in Newcastle got a free kick on the edge of the box after B Wilson got caught out on the ball and De Jeong fired one into the top corner giving Chubs no chance. This in turn picked Newcastle up who pretty much dictated the rest of the 1st half. We were clearly set up by LJ the same as the end of last season. Very hard to break down, hunting in packs and quite defensive with JCH having little opportunity. (He could be frustrated a few times this season when we are against better opposition as we look to play the containment game). Forte was disciplined in marking there pacy right winger yet also showed skill to beat a man and put in a good cross. Looking at how Wright congratulated him when subbed off I think (and hope) he is in the bag.

Stand out players in 1st half for me were Jones (busy and tidy performance, good at retaining not wasting possession) and Forte (disciplined in man marking number 8 as he was clearly told to but also showed enough that he can create chances).

Suspect players in first half were B Wilson (wasn't as assured as I thought he would be for Col U captain and was caught in possession twice) and L Kelly (Played the holding midfield role well but misplaced too many simple passes that wasted possession).

Second half started with Trialist (Sheriff) on for Turner.

Second half started the same as the first ended with Newcastle dictating play and us containing them to few chances. Then we brought on 8 subs:

Chubs

B WIlson Lockwood Llera Brown

Dieng

Sherriff Mellor Winchester Bove

Gros

Stand out players second half I thought were Mellor Dieng and Winchester who controlled the middle well against good opposition. I wasn't impressed enough by Sherriff or Gros despite his goal as good enough for us and would focus elsewhere. I just cant see them starting or offering much off the bench. I think we need another striker in to offer another dynamic and ability to go 2 uo front. Guessing Philliskirk is injured but very little talk of him at the min.

Impressed with Forte, think he'd be great upfront. Gros surprised me too, fast for a big guy and decent goal. I'd sign Forte straight away and give Gros another look - not too impressed with the winger though, lots of running and effort but did he actually do anything? Llera was class when he came on, always organising and made some quality tackles. Sign him up next to Wilson at CB with Mills/B.Wilson at fullback and we'll be very hard to break down. Also, if Brown is a left back, so am I.

Another fairly boring point is that they've narrowed the pitch by about a metre on both sides. Could indicate how we're going to play.

Main things I've taken from the match:

James Wilson oozes class. The man is lightning. Get a full season out of him and we won't be far short.

If we're going to play 4-5-1, give Winchester the chance, he hardly ever loses the ball in possession and is the most willing midfielder we have in carrying the ball forward.

Sign Jonathan Forte before another league 1 club does.

Miguel Llera looks like he's still got it but is it worth spending the wage on a 4th centre half? A no in my opinion.

I feel sorry for Connor Brown. Through no fault of his own he's hardly going to play this season despite improving throughout the whole of last season. The reason....Brian Wilson who is going to be invaluable on those cold Tuesday winter nights. Wilson alongside L

Looked to me like Lockwoods worked hard and dropped quite a bit of weight.

Was impressed by the 3 new midfielders, but equally thought Winchester and Mellor looked really good, hopefully this is the year they fulfil their potential

Would have to see more of Gros, think the keeper should easily have saved his goal, right winger looked ok, nothing special but was willing at both ends of the pitch. Forte and Llera would be low risk signings, you can see they've still got a lot to offer