Seats or Tenants and other things

I had a conversation with Ian Hill on Friday about one thing and the conversation turned to Latics.

From his point of view he would prefer all the "back office" part of the stand completed before the seats go in. He believes the seats may add 200 people which in his words is neither here or there. He wants to complete all the the other aspects of the stand first. Boxes, shop, gym, office, bar etc as that's what will make OAFC survive in league one and possible drive us on. So don't expect us to have seats by the start of the season.

He also said as it stands we are set to lose 500k in this years budget so expect to see someone get sold, Im not sure on the financial FairPlay elements of league 1 but I didn't think you could spend more than your income. Someone will know more about that than me.

Corney can NOT afford to lose 500k so if any reasonable offer comes in then we have to sell especially if we are out of the fa cup on the 1st Jan.

The directors at this stage will not be moving across to the new stand because at this stage there are so many interested parties in the boxes there is no value in keeping one for themselves.

We spoke about Montano, his appeal to being sacked was rejected and he had the right to go to the FA but declined. Apparently there was several hundred hours of film and the small bit in the paper was the tip of the iceberg.

Just thought I would share the chat, first time I have spoken to him and thought he was a decent and honest guy to be honest. Pains me to say it but I for one agree with no seats, the club needs the extra commercial income before the seats. We don't fill what we have in the other stands.

I don't think it's a surprise that a player sale is likely. It's nice that we've got a couple of players worth a fee.

It's interesting that a Hill has a different view to Corney on what to kit out first. I think I err on the emotional side of getting the seats in and giving the fans a facility to be proud of. I suspect it will attract more than a couple of hundred extra each game, but I do understand that there is probably more to be made by focus on other things.

I have a sneaky feeling the car park won't get landscaped this decade!

Did you ask him who owns the stand?

That seems like a lot of sensitive information to give to somebody a Director:

A. Doesn't know; or

B. Does know and therefore knows he's liable to shout his mouth off on here

Pinch of salt and all that.

I had a conversation with Ian Hill on Friday about one thing and the conversation turned to Latics.

From his point of view he would prefer all the "back office" part of the stand completed before the seats go in. He believes the seats may add 200 people which in his words is neither here or there. He wants to complete all the the other aspects of the stand first. Boxes, shop, gym, office, bar etc as that's what will make OAFC survive in league one and possible drive us on. So don't expect us to have seats by the start of the season.

He also said as it stands we are set to lose 500k in this years budget so expect to see someone get sold, Im not sure on the financial FairPlay elements of league 1 but I didn't think you could spend more than your income. Someone will know more about that than me.

Corney can NOT afford to lose 500k so if any reasonable offer comes in then we have to sell especially if we are out of the fa cup on the 1st Jan.

The directors at this stage will not be moving across to the new stand because at this stage there are so many interested parties in the boxes there is no value in keeping one for themselves.

We spoke about Montano, his appeal to being sacked was rejected and he had the right to go to the FA but declined. Apparently there was several hundred hours of film and the small bit in the paper was the tip of the iceberg.

Just thought I would share the chat, first time I have spoken to him and thought he was a decent and honest guy to be honest. Pains me to say it but I for one agree with no seats, the club needs the extra commercial income before the seats. We don't fill what we have in the other stands.

If that's the case why put seats in there at all....there were a few games this season where we didn't fill two stands!!

I think he underestimates the lost STH from the old Lookers, I would predict a hell of a lot more than 200 fans would be in there for the first game and you've also got the few hundred that will transfer their ST to the new stand from other parts of the ground x £30.

I can understand the financing equation but we have a feel good factor to build on and a move back to 4 populated stands will be a massive boost for both players and fans. I also understand the need for commercial revenue but if we end up with a seatless stand 3 or 4 months into the season the impetus will be lost especially if we start badly.

Get the seats in, get the supporters bar up and running and lets have a proper stadium with a bit of bloody atmosphere.

If we are that desperate that we can't afford the seats then sell Korey Smith now cos it sounds like he'll be off in January anyway and if not then at the end of the season for nowt! If there are bidders cash in now...he is not irreplaceable!

I don't think it's a surprise that a player sale is likely. It's nice that we've got a couple of players worth a fee.

It's interesting that a Hill has a different view to Corney on what to kit out first. I think I err on the emotional side of getting the seats in and giving the fans a facility to be proud of. I suspect it will attract more than a couple of hundred extra each game, but I do understand that there is probably more to be made by focus on other things.

I have a sneaky feeling the car park won't get landscaped this decade!

Did you ask him who owns the stand?

I can't see a our tenants ie. Sports Direct, New Gym, Convenience Store, Offices etc being too impressed with the current parking facilities, especially come the winter months, I reckon the car park will be landscaped on completion of the stand.

I was told by ticket office staff that there will be no car park season tickets issued at all for next season,that will surely impact on close season budgeting and cash flow.Having had a car park season ticket for the past few years because of difficulty walking,I am concerned that I will struggle to get near the ground this season for popular games.The reason cited was that the new stand will take up a lot more space! Maybe it's just me but I would have thought that would have made season tickets a better idea ,if only for organisational reasons.

I can't see a our tenants ie. Sports Direct, New Gym, Convenience Store, Offices etc being too impressed with the current parking facilities, especially come the winter months, I reckon the car park will be landscaped on completion of the stand.

Fair call.

no car park season tickets issued at all for next season,that will surely impact on close season budgeting and cash flow.

200 x £80 = £16k. Drop in the ocean compared to the bigger picture.

Edited by opinions4u

That seems like a lot of sensitive information to give to somebody a Director:

A. Doesn't know; or

B. Does know and therefore knows he's liable to shout his mouth off on here

Pinch of salt and all that.

i thought that aswell...

Fair call.

200 x £80 = £16k. Drop in the ocean compared to the bigger picture.

But that's £16k coming in during the period when we have little other income coming in, and the majority of our outgoings still going out. I'm disappointed too as I'm probably going to be parking in the club car park until Christmas.

But that's £16k coming in during the period when we have little other income coming in, and the majority of our outgoings still going out. I'm disappointed too as I'm probably going to be parking in the club car park until Christmas.

I'm not calling it right or wrong. But In the context of season ticket receipts and potential new income streams in future it's nothing.

There is some inevitable disruption for fans - parking, club shop stock right now etc - but it's a small price to pay for what will hopefully mean a significant move forwards for the club.

Who are you and what have you done with WIZZO? :grin: Edited by HarryBosch

I'm not calling it right or wrong. But In the context of season ticket receipts and potential new income streams in future it's nothing.

There is some inevitable disruption for fans - parking, club shop stock right now etc - but it's a small price to pay for what will hopefully mean a significant move forwards for the club.

But when you add in the fact that no new kits have been sold during the summer (or other merchandise for that matter) it can become a significant amount.Unless the new sponsors have put some money in up front!

I'm not disputing that the "back office" will generate more income than seats, but surely they aren't mutually exclusive. Why can't a different team of lads be fitting the seats as the rest of the stand is finished? We would then have 2 income streams.

Also where the hell has this figure of 200 additional people come from? Finger in the air!

It does say that Ian Hill would like the back of stand stuff first.

And we all know he is right, but as others have said, it is the psychological effect of having fans in the stand.

He's the property guy on the board and obviously should have an opinion, but I don't think it follows that we will not have seatsfirst.

a) It's Ian Hill.

B) SC calls the shots.

c) SC is aware the negative impact it would have not having fans at the off.

Obviously in a ideal world all would be at the same time.

However, if Ian Hill wants the fit out first, show us the money!!!

I wanma know where all these extra fans are coming from, there may be 200 who wanna sit in there but all they will do is move from another part of the ground thining the support out even more, unless we had a large cup game city/utd at home dont see the point in putting the seats in this side of christmas when the money could be put to better use.

I wanma know where all these extra fans are coming from, there may be 200 who wanna sit in there but all they will do is move from another part of the ground thining the support out even more, unless we had a large cup game city/utd at home dont see the point in putting the seats in this side of christmas when the money could be put to better use.

Fans who like watching from the side but won't put up with the appalling seats, layout and facilities of the main stand, may well come back to BP. The stand should attract additional fans not merely provide a new home for existing ones.

What Ian Hill has said makes sense if the financing of the new stand is based on a piecemeal budget.

Whichever way the stand is completed is irrelevant really in the great scheme of things. What any club needs to seriously improve income is bums on seats - lots of them. Without a seriously wealthy benefactor our only hope is 'luck' with a unknown manager who manages to assemble a group of average players into a winning, entertaining side. Joe Royle, was once that man but I suspect he had a trifle more money available than LJ.

I am a little more optimistic than usual with LJ, but not giddily so.