• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given

That's been done to death.

My point, and concern, was that so many people throughout all of this have demonstrated that they don't seem to view rape as seriously as most do (and, in my opinion, should).

doesn't that depend on the actual rape and circumstances? I view rape very seriously, but am not convinced on this one at all, despite the current conviction

Posted · Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given

doesn't that depend on the actual rape and circumstances? I view rape very seriously, but am not convinced on this one at all, despite the current conviction

Forcing yourself on a women is forcing yourself on a women....

So no it doesn't....

Wasnt a success 25 goals in 55 games. Name me a better striker we have had since Hughes

His goalscoring record isn't in doubt. The fact he showed himself to be a self served scumbag who could cause considerable damage to a dressing room isn't either.

Anyway, the rights and wrongs are all academic now - current sponsors are going to drop us and potential future sponsors won't sponsor us.

Web Applications backed the club yesterday but are having their name bandied all over the internet today - only a matter of time until one or more of their customers expresses their displeasure i would have thought.

For these reasons it can't happen. Surely?

If it has dragged on this long then surely we must conclude that we are trying desperately to back out of a contract that has been offered and signed. If we wanted him we would have taken the hit yesterday.

Why have another day with most of fleet street camped on your doorstep

We are still in this division, and he was so badly behaved that a manager ended up getting sacked and we had to get rid. So no, he wasn't a success at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29629832

Barry doesn't agree....

"Lee got some abuse at opposition grounds but he handled it well," he said. "At Millwall they were booing him before he'd touched the ball and he got a hat-trick so you can imagine how well that went down.

It was his stupid celebrations that caused trouble but moving on....

"Lee was no trouble to the club and he scored a lot of goals. He ended up being well-liked and I think he won over some of those who had criticised the signing, although there was a small percentage of fans who did not accept it - but they were never going to change their opinions."

Barry gold that last bit :)

Edited by oafc0000

If it has dragged on this long then surely we must conclude that we are trying desperately to back out of a contract that has been offered and signed. If we wanted him we would have taken the hit yesterday.

Total opposite I think... Waiting for sponsors to make decisions I would imagine. Namely Sports Direct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29629832

Barry doesn't agree....

"Lee got some abuse at opposition grounds but he handled it well," he said. "At Millwall they were booing him before he'd touched the ball and he got a hat-trick so you can imagine how well that went down.

It was his stupid celebrations that caused trouble but moving on....

"Lee was no trouble to the club and he scored a lot of goals. He ended up being well-liked and I think he won over some of those who had criticised the signing, although there was a small percentage of fans who did not accept it - but they were never going to change their opinions."

Barry gold that last bit :)

No trouble at all. Had the manager in a headlock. Came back and gripped the chief exec by the throat. Lovely fella.

Waiting for it to die down a bit?

It's already lower profile than yesterday. As others have said it's falling down the lists on sports websites not appearing on the front page of any.

Nothing on BBC sport website at all today.

Total opposite I think... Waiting for sponsors to make decisions I would imagine. Namely Sports Direct.

Even if one or 2 have threatened to pull out then that is enough to decide this is a bad idea

Although maybe I'm looking at this logically which messers Corney, Joy, and Owen clearly have shown none off in the last week or so.

It's already lower profile than yesterday. As others have said it's falling down the lists on sports websites not appearing on the front page of any.

Yup this as well possibly...

No doubt being advised on the issue by some PR firm...

We announce the deal done then surely the heat will be back on and it will be worse than the last 48 hours.

We announce the deal done then surely the heat will be back on and it will be worse than the last 48 hours.

Of course it will. There's nothing new to say at the moment, especially after Neil Joy's statement yesterday! I can't believe he tried to get away with just handing out sheets of paper and :censored:ing off!

Of course it will. There's nothing new to say at the moment, especially after Neil Joy's statement yesterday! I can't believe he tried to get away with just handing out sheets of paper and :censored:ing off!

It might have been best to have done that and ran. He sounded terrible, uncaring and down right obnoxious. It was so cringe.

Feel sorry for him if he was put on the spot BUT that is how it sounded.

Edited by oafc0000

Over the years I have learned through experience never to react with my first thoughts on emotional

issues. My immediate thoughts were FFS No but having thought about it more I am now in no doubt

where I stand.

I grew up during times when women who took rape cases to court regularly came out feeling the guilty party. Men were acquitted because the woman looked or dressed a certain way and were obviously asking for it. I am happy that there is now improved protection for women where no means no and the capacity for an individual to give consent is given consideration in judgements. The need for both male and female to think more about the consequences of their Saturday night actions is a step in the right direction in both rape cases and for society in general. Yes there will be injustices, always have been always will, but to go back to the way things were is a place we dont want to go. The best advice I was given was not to put yourself at risk of harm or injustice or to go into a situation when you are willing and able to accept the consequences.

Whilst there are some who worryingly suggest signing Ched Evans based on the possibility of his innocence, the basis for arguments on the thread has mostly been a combination of the recognition of the severity of the crime and his ability to ply his trade during his rehabilitation/following his time served.

I totally agree that it is essential that society supports reformed offenders who have stayed on the right side of the law. Forgiveness and the offer of hope to offenders who conform to (what is considered) acceptable behaviour, and then go on contribute to society, is for the greater good of a modern society. Acceptable behaviour does require the showing remorse and not harassing the victim.

I have always hated it when people say of football aye but football is different when they try to justify why football should be treated different to other commercial organisations (e.g. the payment of creditors when clubs go bust). Unfortunately, I found myself saying just this when trying to justify why CE should not be allowed to be rehabilitated back into football. I have problems when the rehabilitation process itself puts communities at risk or is detrimental to society (e.g. what do with child offenders when they have completed their time). Im in no way suggesting that CE poses a risk toanyone who goes to a football match, but the dynamics of a football crowd are such that it would inevitably create a more hostile environment than if he wasnt there to the detriment of the thousands of other people present. For a convicted rapist to play professional football will inevitably result in hate filled chanting that cross the boundaries of banter. Women attend matches now more than they did before and chants about rape/saying no and even the sight of a rapist would make them feel threatened/uncomfortable. Those that had been victims of rape themselves do not deserve the unnecessary reminders when the watch TV or go to a match.

Signing CE would bring with it an opportunity for EVERY other club and their supporters and society in general to feel justified in hating everything associated with Oldham Athletic Football Club. If anyone believes their matchday experience would not change for the worse they either kid themselves or have very broad shoulders. The family club tag will be lost for a generation and any remnants of a family matchday experience will be lost to vitriolic chants associated with rape. Every time you mention youre an Oldham fan you know what the next question is going to be. Ive already had to have a difficult conversation with my 2 boys that I hadnt planned having for another couple of years. I have brought my kids up not to hold football players as role models (although they have come back at me with Ribery) so the role model argument doesnt work for me.

The only good that will come out of it is one person being rehabilitated through football and another individual making or saving money. So when you put CE rehabilitation it in the context of a greater good it simply doesnt work in football from a matchday experience alone. This is before you bring into the argument sponsorship and the showing of remorse.

So I have concluded that Ched Evans deserves the right to be rehabilitated into society but not in football. He should seek another trade, he is young and can chose alternative career path. Like other sports personalities that have fallen on the wrong side of the law or rules he shouldnt bring further disrepute to the sport that provided him with a great opportunity. If the club wish to sign him then itwont be in my name and I have no desire to listen to rape related chants for 90minutes. If he believes he is innocent and wishes to clear his name, that choice remains open to him.

Another to add to the growing list of very good posts.

Well, I don't think I've ever seen the potential employment prospects of one man cause so much national interest.

It's thrown the spotlight on a number of important issues, including sexual violence towards women, society's role in rehabilitating those who have served their time and the increasing influence of social media on the thinking of both the public and politicians.

I've seen well-reasoned arguments both for and against signing him, and depressingly, some rather Neanderthal views regarding the legitimacy of the conviction and seriousness of the crime.

I believe that open debate can only be a good thing. I just wish it wasn't being played out at our club.

It will defiantly kick up again but if there happy it dies down quick enough this time they may well believe it will when we announce it.

Perhaps I'm a tad naive but I don't think announcing it will be massively bigger. This was the shock bit. Announcing it will just be confirming what everyone thought on Sunday. Everyone has already had 3 days to get the head round that