Body Bag League III - 2015 discussion thread

Matt

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the :censored: wasn't he wearing a helmet?

Think helmets weren't used very much, if at all, in 1976, they were first really used in World Series cricket, which started in 77 and possibly not even in the first set of games. Even then players used to wear all sorts as helmets, including a motorbike helmet (with visor).

Edited by rudemedic

Think helmets weren't used very much, if at all, in 1976, they were first really used in World Series cricket, which started in 77 and possibly not even in the first set of games. Even then players used to wear all sorts as helmets, including a motorbike helmet (with visor).

p

I don't recall the motorcycle helmet being used, but my early memories of test cricket on telly remind me that they simply didn't have helmets back in the day.

I looked it up after posting the above and realised that helmets weren't really used at all, as you've pointed out. That amazed me; I'd thought batmen's helmets went back much further than that. He's lucky he wasn't on the 1976 Body Bag Bingo.

At the risk of going well off topic, I see Viv Richards, who never wore a helmet, has done interviews where he's suggested that batsmen should ditch their 'suits of armour' and play like men. I hope, following the death of Phil Hughes, he doesn't continue to spout such utter :censored:e.

I looked it up after posting the above and realised that helmets weren't really used at all, as you've pointed out. That amazed me; I'd thought batmen's helmets went back much further than that. He's lucky he wasn't on the 1976 Body Bag Bingo.

I was chatting to someone at the cricket club the other week who was telling me that Holmfirth signed up a West Indian fast bowler as professional in the late 70's and the opposition captain was rushing round trying to find any sort of helmets for his team on the Friday night.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that he made more cuts/found more savings in one year than Osborne is aiming for in nine. Savage austerity, this.

The Healey cuts were imposed by the IMF in exchange for the bail-out. Osbornomics isn't necessarily savage austerity for everyone. It's savage austerity if you happen to be sick or old, or happen to be in jail or elsewhere in the criminal justice system, or happen to be a mid-range earner who spends money on consumer goods, or happen to be someone who wants to own a house eventually, or happen to be seeking to better yourself by going to university...etc. In other words, everyone but the rich is getting clobbered by Osborne. And by all his own measures and promises, it isn't working. He's not bothered about the deficit or people committing suicide because of some quasi-medical work assessment. Like all Tory chancellors, he's running the Exchequer for the benefit of the Tory party.

• 2 weeks later...