Welcome Chedwyn

Attendances will decrease as so many people will disagree with the signing. Just as it was with the Lee hughes signing where the ave attendances dropped by 1000 and have never recovered. We can't afford for a similar drop just when there was starting to be some positivity around the club.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If our home attendances drop any more, it will be the end of Latics as we simply could not survive with any less through the gates. So, if people are being genuine on here in saying they will not attend matches if we sign him (rather than just being drama queens) then we should not sign him - it's a simple economic decision.

I'm hoping this is all media hype but, if Corney, Owen et al have called this one wrong then they may subsequently be responsible for the death of our club.

If our home attendances drop any more, it will be the end of Latics as we simply could not survive with any less through the gates. So, if people are being genuine on here in saying they will not attend matches if we sign him (rather than just being drama queens) then we should not sign him - it's a simple economic decision.

I'm hoping this is all media hype but, if Corney, Owen et al have called this one wrong then they may subsequently be responsible for the death of our club.

This season might not be too bad for the club; income wise. A big chunk of the posters on here saying that they will not be attending whilst Ched Evans is at the club (myself being one of those) are season ticket holders. Our money is already with the club; and legally, we can do nothing to get it back.

Yes, there are obviously pay on the day fans also saying they will not be attending; but i think (stand by to be corrected) its mostly ST holders?

So, this season the money is already in for. Some more empty seats to go with the host of others? Possibly; unless STs are given away. But, As for the next season though; wow.

people should learn some forgiveness.

in the eyes of the law, he was found guilty and, in the eyes of the law, he's now a free man.

he wouldn't be the first innocent man to go to prison. I wonder how many of these fans jumping on the 'i'll never go again' bandwagon have actually spent any time considering the case rather than just relying on hearsay or sensationalist journalism - its only a month ago since the media portrayed the off pitch antics at the Rochdale game as WW3.

I know it's only one side of the story but, people should at least read Ched's personal website (www.chedevans.com) so that they can at least speak from a balanced viewpoint as opposed to one based on what they've read in the Sun.

as someone on here has already pointed out, what if the decision is overturned following the ongoing appeal, are the anti brigade gonna then turn to the 'no smoke without fire' bull:censored:?

Edited by dish

The Daily Fail ran the same type of story when Luke McCormick re signed for Plymouth in July ie face fans backlash. Has there been one I've no idea ? If so I've heard little about it.

The Daily Fail ran the same type of story when Luke McCormick re signed for Plymouth in July ie face fans backlash. Has there been one I've no idea ? If so I've heard little about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2696973/Plymouth-Argyle-attack-appointing-killer-drink-driver-goalkeeper-clubs-new-captain.html

This hasn't appeared overnight, just the same as a good team doesn't become bad overnight. Has this been in the pipeline for a couple of weeks....cue heavy defeat by team.

The FA looks to be heavily involved, is there a sweetener? Montano's name is being mentioned again???. Are we being "asked" to sign Evans?

I think there is a lot more going on than what we are being told, hopefully it will all come out in the wash.

I will be going down to BP, because I support the club.

Edited by manshaw

This hasn't appeared overnight, just the same as a good team doesn't become bad overnight. Has this been in the pipeline for a couple of weeks....cue heavy defeat by team.

Graham Taylor looks to be heavily involved, is there a sweetener? Montano's name is being mentioned again???. Are we being "asked" to sign Evans?

I think there is a lot more going on than what we are being told, hopefully it will all come out in the wash.

Taylor-Turnip.jpg

Linesman, LINESMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham Taylor looks to be heavily involved, is there a sweetener? Montano's name is being mentioned again???. Are we being "asked" to sign Evans?

Or, maybe, those in positions of trust at the club feel it is a worthy gamble to sign Chedwyn?

Tomorrow's Chron......

ATHLETIC are set to sign convicted rapist Ched Evans, according to national reports.

The club issued a statement denying any interest in the 26-year-old striker a month ago, following his release from prison in October.

But the former Sheffield United and Wales player, who served half of a five-year term for raping a woman in a hotel in May 2011, is reportedly now set to sign a deal at SportsDirect.com Park.

PFA chief Gordon Taylor this morning said that a deal was not yet set in stone for Evans to join an un-named League One club.

But he did state that a news conference had been planned for Monday concerning the player.

If a club are looking to sign him they need to be 100-per-cent committed, give their reasons for signing him and get on with it, rather than inviting public debate, Taylor told a national radio station.

"He's a footballer, he wants to return to society as a footballer, so he does need an employer to take him on."

Athletic officials were not available for comment today.

The Chron adding absolutely nothing new to the information already milked then.

I see two possibilities:

One, he's signing and the club expected this :censored:storm. In which case there's nothing to say that hasn't already been said on this thread.

Two, he's not signing but the club won't deny it. Maybe because of the publicity (but I doubt that, because only a moron believes there's no such thing as bad publicity), maybe because it'd distract from the current team form (burying bad news), in which case it's a despicable way to treat your fans.

Edit - a third possibility: the club haven't quite decided for sure and are testing the water by not issuing a denial, waiting to see the reaction. A cynical interpretation, but if true equally despicable.

Edited by Crusoe

Something's telling me there's more to all this than we think....why oh why would the club be even contemplating a deal of this nature?

The backlash from the media and other clubs will be unreal and I just cannot believe the club are set to go ahead with it when 90% of fans will be dead against it.

We will find out tomorrow one way or another but I am convinced there will be a lot more to this story than we have been lead to believe!

Something's telling me there's more to all this than we think....why oh why would the club be even contemplating a deal of this nature?

The backlash from the media and other clubs will be unreal and I just cannot believe the club are set to go ahead with it when 90% of fans will be dead against it.

We will find out tomorrow one way or another but I am convinced there will be a lot more to this story than we have been lead to believe!

Such as?

If it's a short term deal then it suggests we are paying him next to nothing and he can ride off into the sunset come the summer, longer term deal says Corney has his eyes on a transfer fee down the line if the lad shows any form.

Grubby, whichever way you slice it.