Trust Reforms

I'm off to the meeting in the mo, I should have loved in sooner to see this thread..my apologies

Yes defo to look at setting up some sort of contact/canvas page. Was thinking something on the lines of survey monkey if we cannot get it onthe trust site.

Must dash, either myself, Chris or lookers will keep you advised of eh meeting out come TBa and pray for me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to the meeting in the mo, I should have loved in sooner to see this thread..my apologies

Yes defo to look at setting up some sort of contact/canvas page. Was thinking something on the lines of survey monkey if we cannot get it onthe trust site.

Must dash, either myself, Chris or lookers will keep you advised of eh meeting out come TBa and pray for me.

Dear Lord, please turn back time and make the necessary readjustments if the Trust has lost the shares. Amen.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

I'd say democratic accountability is essential. Whatever the outcome of the post-mortem of last week, it's apparent that one feature of Barry's tenure was the elimination of accountability. For all I know, that was built into the Trust from day one.

I think that's unfair. I think the problems started when Barry started to go native. I'd also argue against the claim that he was a bully - sure, a strong character, but (at least when I was on the trust board) I wouldn't say he bullied anyone or went beyond anything you'd describe as acceptable.

I think that's unfair. I think the problems started when Barry started to go native. I'd also argue against the claim that he was a bully - sure, a strong character, but (at least when I was on the trust board) I wouldn't say he bullied anyone or went beyond anything you'd describe as acceptable.

The lack of accountability allowed Barry to go native. Some have said that all he ever wanted was to become the head honcho at the club. He came bloody close last week I reckon. I'm just glad the good Lord decided that even He could take no more of the farce.

I never called Barry a bully. I don't know whether he is or not and it doesn't matter. The simple rule is: if no one can get rid of you, you'll become a wrong 'un.

Edit. Double negative.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Quite a bit of the innuendo is down to me so I ought to front up.

I was told by several then current Trust Directors a number of years ago that Barry had a low regard for TTA and that he looked forward to Corney making a cut and run job and him taking over. I vaguely recall a Director threatening to sue me when I mentioned this at the time, but I didn't go to jail.

Bullying is partly guesswork and partly observation. We have seen untrue statements about Barry's and the Trust's status put forward as truth by other Directors. I've spoken to several people who have suggested he controlled meetings to disallow debate.

I was talking more on the future, rather than what could have been done about the Evans debacle.

We have to move on from that, and ensure the fans views - on everything Oldham Athletic - are expressed.

At the moment it seems to be an empty sandwich - the fans on one level, the board on another with nothing in between.

Putting Trust members out and about on match days, listening to fans feelings about general issues then feeding back, could be the sandwich filling that is missing.

(I'll try anything to stabilise and improve the future of "my" club).

Is there a prize for the first mention of Edmund Burke on this website?

The fans rep on the board is...a representative, not a delegate. We can't have a popular vote every time a decision needs to be made. The rep has to exercise their own judgment in any given situation. We have to reimagine what we would want from the Trust over a decent period. One good thing might be a very quiet and boring Trust rep for a time, making moves behind the scenes, explaining the prosaic aspects of what they do from time to time and not causing any fuss.

The fans rep on the board is...a representative, not a delegate. We can't have a popular vote every time a decision needs to be made. The rep has to exercise their own judgment in any given situation. We have to reimagine what we would want from the Trust over a decent period. One good thing might be a very quiet and boring Trust rep for a time, making moves behind the scenes, explaining the prosaic aspects of what they do from time to time and not causing any fuss.

Correct... But how do you represent if you never consult ?

So yes but we need consultations on big issues... The Evans question could of been put to the membership... It should of at least been put to the board of the trust for a response... Just as an example...

It would only lead to trouble when he was in the papers asleep in a skip without his trousers after having 2 halves of mild at the Awards Night

Please! If history has taught us one thing it is that I can hold at least three pints.

All the points raised in this thread are valid points and will/have been debated. A statement will be released in the next day or so and we have another scheduled meeting to discuss things further next week and get all the interim measures/future propsals. There will be constitutional changes, that is for sure and directors 'job roles' will be drawn up and publishesmd with any unheld posts available for people with the right skills.

To clarify the chairman will be voted on by members but will come from the board of directors. It was discussed about having a maximum term and splitting the role, but further debate will be carried out next week where some proposals will be drawn up and we can have it all cleared by the time the AGM comes round. If you wish to know anything feel free to contact me. We all agreed that modernisation is required and this is the perfect time to do that. There is to be a fans meeting held next month. TBA

The fans rep on the board is...a representative, not a delegate. We can't have a popular vote every time a decision needs to be made.

Yes, but, all last week we were constantly told by the media that "the fans" were being canvassed over Evans - I'm yet to find one who was.

Having something like the login/password/surveymonkey idea will allow members of the Trust (which should pretty much be every fan) to quickly let the club know what the consensus of opinion is on any given issue.

It's not there in order to make a decision but will let the club know in no uncertain terms what we as fans think on an important issue.

It's their money and they're then perfectly within their rights to ignore us but at least they can't claim we didn't tell them.....

The chairman will be a current elected board member but will be voted on by the members if an election is required. IE if more than 1 person wishes to stand.

Chris, Was it confirmed by the Trust board last night that the new Trust Chairman/Chairwoman will automatically become the new representative on the club's board? Was there any debate about splitting these two roles?

Dear all,

Just to confirm what Chris said, this is the perfect chance now for the trust to discuss more in depth

• Current constitution and any reforms to be made
  • Clarity of roles. With the new fans liaison in place at the club, who does what at the club and at the Trust. I know Chris had plans to work on this this season

A statement will follow soon with regards to the intrim plans and shortly after, bulletins on a fans Q&A session and of course the April AGM.I know myself, Chris, Lookers do look at this forum and what would help us if we can centralise all thoughts, suggestions, Questions, offers of help in the pinned Trust Oldham thread up top. I will open one up now with a date of February as we are hoping to have a fans Q&A in Feb.

Thanks everyone

Who elects the board members then the Trust members ? As part of all this shouldnt an EGM be called with all members invited and all positions from Chairman down voted on in an open democratic way ? Its all abit cloak and dagger for me anyone who feels they could offer something has more chance of getting on the commitee at their nearest masonic lodge. Why not wipe the slate clean and set this off on the right foot.

Will new members be added to the committee before the members get to vote on which committee member they want as Chairman?

Chris used the phrase "elected board members". The only way that anyone could join the Trust board prior to the next AGm would be to be co-opted on which would, to my reading, make them inelligible. I believe this also means that both Chris himslf and Underdog are not eligible to stand as they are both co-opted members.

I am happy to be corrected if this understanding is incorrect.

Chris, Was it confirmed by the Trust board last night that the new Trust Chairman/Chairwoman will automatically become the new representative on the club's board? Was there any debate about splitting these two roles?

No to the first, yes to the second. Must stress though it was a positive debate and no decisions (on those) have been finalised.