Colchester away

Does no one understand that us taking 300 fans down to Colchester on a Saturday or 150 on a Tuesday night doesn't make much more money for either clubs, whereas local games on a Saturday is going to bring far more money into the club...

I'd rather have Bury away on August Bank Holiday weekend than a trip down to Essex, many wont bother with Colchester on a Tuesday or a Saturday so it makes sense to me to play those games on Tuesday nights, I'm still gonna go though!

....we don't take any money from tomorrow's fixture.... that rule was done away with nearly 30 years ago when the big clubs didn't want to share their gate receipts with the little clubs anymore, thereby beginning the move from sport to business. It was a couple of years before the Premier League era if memory serves me correctly.

My issue with our game tomorrow is that Colchester fans are less likely to turn out for their own team on a Tuesday to see us compared to Southend say, thereby it inconveniences Latics fans who might want to go but can't afford the time off work and unnecessarily lowers the home gate.

If we played them on a Saturday, they might have 500+ more on the gate - which does make a difference - whereby the Southend midweek fixture would likely be unaffected from its Saturday equivalent. Ditto for us with a host of possible northern teams, not necessarily Rochdale or Bury.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....we don't take any money from tomorrow's fixture.... that rule was done away with nearly 30 years ago when the big clubs didn't want to share their gate receipts with the little clubs anymore, thereby beginning the move from sport to business. It was a couple of years before the Premier League era if memory serves me correctly.

My issue with our game tomorrow is that Colchester fans are less likely to turn out for their own team on a Tuesday to see us compared to Southend say, thereby it inconveniences Latics fans who might want to go but can't afford the time off work and unnecessarily lowers the home gate.

If we played them on a Saturday, they might have 500+ more on the gate - which does make a difference - whereby the Southend midweek fixture would likely be unaffected from its Saturday equivalent. Ditto for us with a host of possible northern teams, not necessarily Rochdale or Bury.

Nope, think about it... they'll have a terrible gate against us wether it be Saturday or Tuesday, whereas they'd have a lot better gate on a Saturday against Southend then they would on a Tuesday.

Nope, think about it... they'll have a terrible gate against us wether it be Saturday or Tuesday, whereas they'd have a lot better gate on a Saturday against Southend then they would on a Tuesday.

I'm conjecturing that their gate v Southend would not be unduly affected by a Tuesday fixture, as ours wouldn't for many clubs from the north whom we could face.

I travelled to West Ham for a Boxing Day fixture 90/91 season that kicked off at midday. I had to set off at 4am. F'in joke! And we got beat 2-0.

Edited by lookersstandandy

I'm conjecturing that their gate v Southend would not be unduly affected by a Tuesday fixture, as ours wouldn't for many clubs from the north whom we could face.

I travelled to West Ham for a Boxing Day fixture 90/91 season that kicked off at midday. I had to set off at 4am. F'in joke! And we got beat 2-0.

Yeah, but did you take a flag?

You've got that the wrong way around sunbeam.... It's not worth having a flag unless you're gonna go!

I can just imagine the conversation now:

Neil: "Hey there Buzz, have you got the flag?"

Buzz: "I thought you had the flag"

Neil: "Don't screw with me Buzz, you told me you had the flag"

Buzz: "No, you said you had it. I'm sure. If only CCTV had been invented before we tried to get to the moon. That'd show you"

Neil: "Buzz, I hate to tell you this, but we're gonna have to turn back"

Buzz: "But we;ve just burned through the Earth's atmosphere. Turning back now would be too dangerous"

Neil: "I don't care Buzz. I've been keeping that flag safe all my life. Everyone telling me It's not worth having a flag, unless you're gonna go. Well Buzz we're going and I damned if I'm getting there without my flag!"

Buzz: "Roger that"...

*Upon re-entering the Earth's atmosphere*

Buzz: "Neil? What if we get back and markoasis has taken the flag to Dulwich?"

Transcripts from the Apollo 11 spacecraft

Edited by latic12345

I can just imagine the conversation now:

Neil: "Hey there Buzz, I'm going to the Moon, d'ya wanna come?"

Buzz: "Nah, can't be @rsed"

Neil: "But I thought you'd bought a flag especially for the Moon"

Buzz: "I have, cost me quite a few quid as well"

Neil: "Why don't you wanna come then?"

Buzz: "I'd rather go to Dulwich Hamlet instead"

Neil: "Seems a waste to have bought that flag then, why don't you give it to me & Michael Collins and we'll put it use"

Buzz: "Nah..."

*Upon leaving the Earth's atmosphere en route to the moon*

Michael: "Neil? I don't understand Markoasis, Ackey, Zorrro and latic12345"

Transcripts from the Apollo 11 spacecraft

FIFY

I'd like to point out - and it's my fault - we're about as far off topic as you can get. So pipe down the lot of you and talk about our lovely trip to soulless Colchester, a place I saw us win 1-0 without a shot on goal all game!

4am? Did you walk it?