Manager Phone in on Radio Manchester: Monday 6pm

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we genuinely believe that it's a sign the board don't want to go up or is it just Barry putting his foot in it something he's got form in.

For all Barry and the boards faults I don't believe he or the board don't want to get promoted and if we did they would push the boat out to bring new players of a higher calibre in.

What he should of really said was something along the lines off that "If we got into the championship it would be tough competing with the bigger clubs in the league and those coming down from the premier league with £50million parachute payments but we would give it a go Make investments to our squad and, although it would be tough aim to establish ourselves as a championship club"

I did not read it as Barry or the board not wanting to go up but it did make it clear that they do not see promotion as the solution or even a stepping stone to finding a solution to the club's problems.

Whatever your views about what constitutes success for our club nobody can argue that we have not stagnated in the past decade. Something needs to be done to end that stagnation and I would have hoped the plan would be to find a way of winning a promotion and then building on it. If the view of the board is that we wouldn't be able to build on the opportunity a season in the Championship would give us then I am worried. I haven't heard any alternative from them about how we get out of this rut.

For what it is worth I agree with a lot of what Barry said (for a change). Championship wages would be a blocker to Latics on the kind of crowds we can attract but it would give us a platform from which we could increase attendances to partially combat this issue. If we were a Championship club we would also have the huge advantage financially that our players would be worth more. It's completely illogical but it is true. Liam Kelly is currently worth probably £350k. If we were a championship club with nothing else changing he would command over a million. I guess that all boils down to other clubs knowing how desperate Lge 1 clubs are for cash.

Obviously I don't know whether what Barry says is reflective of the views of the wider board but when speaking in an official capacity we have to assume they are. If not, I would expect Simon to have spoken up by now and made it clear.

Did anyone one else clock the giggling when one of the callers asked a question?

He was doing it all the way through - chuckling and puffing and blowing. It's almost like he has total contempt for a lot of our fans and makes no attempt to disguise it.

I think you are wrong, Lags. There are so many people on here that I am so different from on so many levels that it sometimes horrifys me when I share an opinion with them. I dont want to be in their 'in crowd' but they are spot on about BO. He is an embarrassing, power hungry, self serving twonk.

I agree with Mr Orange.

The problem with the phone in was that the people asking the questions were not allowed to come back after the answer, or none answer in most cases. Too much time was spent on waffle by the presenter and his co-host on a pointless competition etc.

His co-host spent ten minutes reading out a register of people not stupid enough to not know the answer to the quiz question but daft enough to want to phone in.

He was doing it all the way through - chuckling and puffing and blowing. It's almost like he has total contempt for a lot of our fans and makes no attempt to disguise it.

I read and re-read this post, to try and figure out how the words 'It's almost like' ended up in there. I'll maybe ask rummy to look into whether it's some sort of technical issue.

I glazed over half way through Blackburn - can you summarise it for us? :grin:

Edited by HarryBosch

Barry? Unpaid hard worker I believe.

I'm sure he does work hard & I'm sure he loves the club & (some of) his fellow supporters in his own strange way - I wish they'd stop inflicting him on us and himself in this way and just let him get on with the valuable work he probably does do on a day to day basis....

Edited by HarryBosch

First question was about ambition to get into the Championship.

Chairman's reply was that gates are irrelevant, we'd have a right good go in the Championship, we've got a good infrastructure, and would look for investment. 'We can compete against anybody on the pitch'. Talked about building on their greatest ever finish, and the best ever football they've seen at Spotland. The fan was more negative than the owner.

I'd be buzzing as a Dale fan after hearing that. Rochdale sounded more ambitious than Latics.