Manager Phone in on Radio Manchester: Monday 6pm

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All a bit over critical lads!

Thought the questioners put over what we all wanted to say; why not more expansive, why so few shots, why no big striker, why no big centre back? Were we really going to get specific answers to those questions? No, but they are certainly aware of what the fans think now so well done to the callers. This site seems to be for all the moaners now, is it not cool to be bit positive any more? where are the happy clappers?

What I said.

The trouble is, we always thought our club prided itself on being a family club. Barry's words, about trying to force out players should never be uttered publicly. Words like helping their career, getting them game time etc, have had some enquiries about fringe player should be used just out of respect. Of course, every club always have, always for and always will.

But you just don't say it.

Everyone should have realised this anyway. Wages are at least 3 or 4 times ours at the lower end. Gates are at least 3 times ours at the lower end. Our gates of around 4000 may increase to 6 or 7000 mainly through away support, so it's obvious we can't compete any more. The bigger clubs like Middlesbro, Derby and Leeds etc. are on a different planet to us.

We'd sell out several times a season, more if we were doing well.

We'd receive higher transfer fees for our Championship players.

Most important of all, from SC's point of view, there'd be much more chance of selling the club.

Corporate hospitality business would increase.

We'd get more sponsorship money.

If we needed a new manager we could get a better one.

Even this Championship wages stuff is bollocks - we wouldn't be in the market for Jordan Rhodes, we'd be signing top end league one & two players on slightly better money than they're on now with the promise of Championship exposure for them.

Edited by HarryBosch

Polite request to Barry Owen.

Kindly :censored: off out of our club. I will happily pay for your taxi and even flight to get you as far away from Boundary Park as possible.

If you want to take Corney with you too, feel free.

No problem with your request to Barry.

But really , you want Corney just to up sticks and go immediately?! Your plan is what? Who takes over?

Eventually a new owner with money is vital - but are you really being serious and saying that you want Corney to walk away without one ??

In the Joe Royle days the conspiracy theorists used to say the club had no ambition and didn't want to get promoted......... then look what happened.

Not a truer word spoken in this thread. The reaction when many of these transfers happened.....

Mark Ward to West Ham

Micky Quinn to Portsmouth

Andy Goram to Hibernian

Andy Linighan to Norwich

Kevin Moore to Southampton

Tommy Wright to Leicester

Mike Flynn to Norwich

Mike Milligan to Everton

Serious question - what does Barry Owen bring to the board as a director?

I suspect it isn't financial investment so I'm seriously scratching my head. Alan Hardy he isn't. Gee is the commercial head, we have a new Trust representative...so what is his role?!

His approach is always with contempt to those asking questions...either that or he genuinely doesn't know and is continually kept in the dark by the rest of the board.

He's Corney's shield.

Most important of all, from SC's point of view, there'd be much more chance of selling the club.

Even this Championship wages stuff is bollocks - we wouldn't be on the market for Jordan Rhodes, we'd be signing top end league one & two players on slightly better money than they're on now with the promise of Championship exposure for them.

We'd sell out on away tickets several times, not home tickets, and we are in a better position than Yeovil becase of that.

The next three points I agree with.

Top end L1 wages are already more than we could pay at clubs like Sheffield and Wigan.

But really , you want Corney just to up sticks and go immediately?! Your plan is what? Who takes over?

Eventually a new owner with money is vital - but are you really being serious and saying that you want Corney to walk away without one ??

Correct Pete, SC has said he would go if the right buyer came along.

Kindly :censored: off out of our club. I will happily pay for your taxi and even flight to get you as far away from Boundary Park as possible.

Correct Pete, SC has said he would go if the right buyer came along.

Original post on Corney - really?

Two subsequent posts - spot on.

Edited by TheBigDog

It is possible that the new North Stand has made the club more difficult to sell. I can't see anyone wanting the football club without the land and our non resident landlords will want everything they have put into the club back and probably more. So £20million just to buy it and then some to run it. I need that £120million win on the Euro lottery.

He says he'll take up your offer. He wants to fly first class to Sydney on BA - it's £10,434 so if you want to send me the money I'll forward it on. Cheers.

We'd sell out on away tickets several times, not home tickets, and we are in a better position than Yeovil becase of that.

Top end L1 wages are already more than we could pay at clubs like Sheffield and Wigan.

oldham fans are fickle as :censored:, after god knows how many years in this division, if we was too go up and we was playing well (big ifs)we would be close to a full house week in week out

The trouble is, we always thought our club prided itself on being a family club.

What does being a 'family club' even mean? Are we more or less of a 'family club' than anybody else?

It's a phrase bandied about often but I've never actually understood how it makes one club distinctive from another.

What does being a 'family club' even mean? Are we more or less of a 'family club' than anybody else?

It's a phrase bandied about often but I've never actually understood how it makes one club distinctive from another.

Well, it means different things to different people., obviosuly. But I'd defined it as a smaller club that looks after it's players and fans more than a corporate type. And this would be our advantage and selling point to some players. Of course, that is my definition.

But we are not Leeds, for example.

Edited by singe

Even this Championship wages stuff is bollocks - we wouldn't be on the market for Jordan Rhodes, we'd be signing top end league one & two players on slightly better money than they're on now with the promise of Championship exposure for them.

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Barnsley, Yeovil, Rotherham, Scunthorpe have all made or are making decent cracks at the Championship.

Maybe they've all had slightly richer owners but none have exactly thrown money about, with the exception of Bournemouth when they could sniff PL promotion.

The likelihood is that if you've made the Championship you've got saleable assets and can raise money in that way. Heaven forbid the board has to put money back into the playing budget...

It's not unrealistic to expect crowds to increase to 7000-8000 a week either, not forgetting the fact there was 6500 average attendance about 7 years ago, when the club had a good run at League 1.

Barry has set out to scaremonger fans into accepting the mediocrity of the past 5 years

It probably means you don't sign players convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and rape - just saying

What has he done that is so great?

Exactly. And the 'right buyer' for Corney is one that will give him a :censored:load of money. What is the club valued at? That should be the selling price. However Corney and his mates want the debt repaying too - debt that they've run up after buying the club for peanuts. Some of that has gone back into the club, increasing its value by improving the facilities, however they've made many many :censored: ups. Crazy that they should expect to be paid for them - and crazy that they talk of OUR club being in debt to them. No, it's money you've lost, we don't owe you anything.

OK, maybe not "Top end" League One players but certainly better League One players than we sign now.

Some of those better League One players would kick on and become established Championship players.

The ones we keep would stand us in good stead back in League One if we did come back down

It probably means you don't sign players convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and rape - just saying

Yes a family club is where you're comfortable brining the kids, safe in the knowldge they're not going to ask questoins like 'is that the rapist.'

oldham fans are fickle as :censored:, after god knows how many years in this division, if we was too go up and we was playing well (big ifs)we would be close to a full house week in week out

FIrst season, you're right.

Not to mention we'd already have been getting 5,6 or 7,000 home fans again for some of the games in the run up to promotion....

Deep down I don't want Corney to just quit, it's emotion getting the better of me.

However, I don't think we'll get a new owner while Corney is here as I don't believe he genuinely wants to sell.

Top and bottom is we need new ambitious owners with some dosh and we can easily find that being in the heart of English football. I have a feeling we'll have had interest, but SC doesn't want to sell and give us up, he just wants some mug to pump money into us while he takes all the glory.

It means about as much as "we do things properly here"