Winchester.....

Poll added 13th October 2015  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would we amass more points with or without Carl Winchester at RM/CM for the rest of the season?

• More points with him in the side
    • More points without him in the side

Patronising and overly simplistic, suppose it saves you having to justify any points or to actually argue constructively

Call it overly simplistic but, I like to see things like this for my £350.......

And things like that win us matches and points and get paying supporters coming back for more...

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no justification needed, if you can't see it, perhaps you could take up gardening on Saturdays instead?

It would seem that others currently employed in football should take up gardening too then.

I must admit, I'm in the camp of thinking that Winchester hasn't done enough yet to deserve some of the unswerving blind loyalty that he seems to command from some. He clearly has some great ability, but football teaches us over and over and over that pure ability is just simply not enough, and there are clearly areas of his game that need to be improved on.

If you think that his ability is all there is to it, and no further justification is needed, then I would say that it is you that gardening would more suit rather.

Winchester is a lovely footballer to watch.

I still think he has the potential to be a really top quality box to box man at this level.

That's not going to happen if he's not getting a game though. This is a stage in his career where he needs to be playing to kick on. He doesn't appear to be in Kelly's immediate plans. If the opportunity to move on does come up in the two days, it might be daft not to take it.

I don't think I've been so irked by my fellow supporters as I have been so far this season.

Winchester can go. Forte would have been no great loss. Dunn signing was met by not nearly enough giddiness and some had him not being able to start until 8 weeks in. Lee Crofts headless chicken/Forest Gump act had him run away with MOTM whereas his first quality performance & his goal yesterday will get him nowhere near it.

Have we now reached a tipping point where most of our supporters have never seen success or been entertained?

Effort now seems to trump ability & quality.

We need both if we ever want to do anything but, if we can't afford both, we need ability & quality...

Have any of you ever sat in a pub and listened to an older OAFC fan fondly reminisce about a player running himself into the ground?

Me neither.

I don't think I've been so irked by my fellow supporters as I have been so far this season.

Winchester can go. Forte would have been no great loss. Dunn signing was met by not nearly enough giddiness and some had him not being able to start until 8 weeks in. Lee Crofts headless chicken/Forest Gump act had him run away with MOTM whereas his first quality performance & his goal yesterday will get him nowhere near it.

Have we now reached a tipping point where most of our supporters have never seen success or been entertained?

We need both if we ever want to do anything but, if we can't afford both, we need ability & quality...

Have any of you ever sat in a pub and listened to an older OAFC fan fondly reminisce about a player running himself into the ground?

Me neither.

It's not a lack of effort - I just don't see how he fits in with how we want to play, even at 22 he seems slow.

Forte is a great player, Dunn also - ditto the entire squad.

I really like Poleon, Winchester came

From the youth and I would love him to succeed... if neither are in the manager's plans why keep them?

Edited by ddot_m

It's not a lack of effort - I just don't see how he fits in with how we want to play, even at 22 he seems slow.

Forte is a great player, Dunn also - ditto the entire squad.

I really like Poleon, Winchester came

From the youth and I would love him to succeed... if neither are in the manager's plans why keep them?

Dieng didnt make the team or bench for the first couple of games, he has been arguably our best player in the last two games he has started, its up to Winchester to grab his chance when given the opportunity. If we dont start scoring more I'd expect his chance to come pretty soon.

It would seem that others currently employed in football should take up gardening too then.

I must admit, I'm in the camp of thinking that Winchester hasn't done enough yet to deserve some of the unswerving blind loyalty that he seems to command from some. He clearly has some great ability, but football teaches us over and over and over that pure ability is just simply not enough, and there are clearly areas of his game that need to be improved on.

If you think that his ability is all there is to it, and no further justification is needed, then I would say that it is you that gardening would more suit rather.

This. He hasn't done anywhere near enough to deserve this loyalty. A top goal against Fleetwood and a swing of the right boot against Swindon were great but 150k plus and I'll drop him off. Give me some more industry. Edited by welshgaz

Give me some more industry.

I refer you back to post #68

Our anti-football fans have actually ground me down to the point where I will see it as bittersweet when he goes onwards and upwards in his career (for far more than miserly £150k) to somewhere he is better appreciated...

Edited by NewBlue

Dieng didnt make the team or bench for the first couple of games, he has been arguably our best player in the last two games he has started, its up to Winchester to grab his chance when given the opportunity. If we dont start scoring more I'd expect his chance to come pretty soon.

And a lot of us will look forward to that happening but at this current moment in time the managers picks a team without him, probably (like some of us fans) struggles to see where he fits in to any team he selects and thankfully since last season we have other, probably better, options to choose from.

Add that to all of his failings, which some of us see, and I really wonder why we have a 5 page thread on one of our players who is not currently playing-simply because some fans (granted usually the same old posters) do not see his faults and persistently harp on with no facts to back up their argument.

I refer you back to post #68

Our anti-football fans have actually ground me down to the point where I look forward to seeing him go onwards and upwards in his career (for far more than miserly £150k) to somewhere he is better appreciated...

So because another OAFC supporter has a different view of a player, you feel that you are entitled to call them an anti-football fan, really?

By the way no other club will pay anything like £150K for him at this current moment in time (never mind the £500K mentioned by another!)

In answer to the question, yes. Sadly.

Promotion seems beyond the board now. We might as well be entertained on the way to whatever happens (or doesn't).

Can't believe what I'm reading on here.

He's the most naturally gifted footballer to come through our youth ranks in a long long time. His ball control is exquisite and a joy to watch. He has the ability to open up a defence like he's playing against DK's under 9s side at Sunderland. He has a superb eye for goal (and more often than not they're crackers!).

Fair enough he doesn't show it every game or as often as we'd like to see, but if he did, he'd probably be playing for a top half Premier League side and not a bottom half League 1 side.

We're not winning games where we are all over teams and it's clear to see the reason for that is we aren't creating enough. No one creates as much as Winch.

If he played say 40 games in a season, my guess is he'd produce something in at least 15 of them, be it a goal or an assist. Doesn't sound a lot no, but I bet it's twice as much as the rest of our midfield would do playing the same amount of games.

That's not going to happen if he's not getting a game though. This is a stage in his career where he needs to be playing to kick on. He doesn't appear to be in Kelly's immediate plans. If the opportunity to move on does come up in the two days, it might be daft not to take it.

Pretty much in agreement with this.

Yeah let's move him on because we only need 11 players in our squad over a 50 plus game 9 month season. None of them will suffer injuries suspensions or loss of form. Why lose a player who is clearly good enough when the time comes to step in and make a positive impact.

Some of bull:censored: posted on this thread is embarrassing.