If the last few shambolic months hadn't happened....

....And David Dunn had got the job in June, I reckon most of us would be pretty happy/optimistic about his appointment.

Pros: He'll be respected by the players; he knows most of them already to have formed an opinion on them; he'll likely get the best out of Winiesta; he'll know the modern player's mindset; he'll probably have decent contacts; he's worked under some decent managers and hopefully picked up a trick or two.

Cons: He's not some grizzled veteran who's "been around", "knows the game" etc.

Well, I don't want yet another has-been failure or nostalgia choice as the manager of Latics. I just want someone who will inspire the players, play them in the right position and have the team playing entertaining and (ultimately) winning football.

Yeah okay, the way he has been appointed leaves a bad taste. I feel sorry for Darren Kelly, but ultimately he was out of his depth. I'm not a huge Corney fan but I respect him more after this decision. It was going wrong, so he's changed things. I admire that. Anyone who says Corney doesn't really care about the club can do one after this.

I'm not saying Dunn will be a smash hit, I'm not saying he get us promoted, but....I'm pretty cheered up about this. Hopefully he will get a few results, get the gig full-time and get us up the table. I still believe we have a decent squad that can go for the play-offs AS LONG AS THEY ARE MANAGED RIGHT.

Edited by perfectOzblue

Yeah okay, the way he has been appointed leaves a bad taste. I feel sorry for Darren Kelly, but ultimately he was out of his depth. I'm not a huge Corney fan but I respect him more after this decision. It was going wrong, so he's changed things. I admire that. Anyone who says Corney doesn't really care about the club can do one after this.

I dont think that the criticism of Corney is that he doesnt care-it is that he is effing incompetent in running the club, especially in his recruitment/delegation policies

I suspect shambolic is what we are going to get until the ageing North Stand is fully open and operational. The focus has been elsewhere so that we missed the opportunity to build on the sixth place achieved by LJ and the Board failed to get a decent replacement and have allowed Owen to represent them. Focus on football soon please.

I dont think that the criticism of Corney is that he doesnt care-it is that he is effing incompetent in running the club, especially in his recruitment/delegation policies

Yeah, that's got some merit ChaddySmoker. As I said, I'm not a massive Corney fan, based on some of the things he's done in his tenure here.

I guess I look at this one that at least he's identified that the situation cannot go on and he's done something about it before things go even more pear-shaped.

Don't mean to hijack too much but I don't get the whole 'underhand" or "Judas" guff that is bandied about so easily. Football is a business like any other, Corney took a punt on Kelly and then likely hedged his bets with Dunn. He clearly didn't fancy Holden as manager and can't persuade Philly to step up so when the opportunity to bring Dunn in with a hint there may be a vacancy is just good business. I've seen good succession planning at work and very bad succession planning, successful organisations have good succession planning, OAFC need to be successful so it is good to see succession planning.

As for 'Judas' it is just a business decision again, LJ tried his hand at management with us, made some mistakes, got things right, changed a few of his ideas, went through a media circus (whoever started it) and fired off a few CVs. I've updated my LinkedIn today, checked out a few jobs, clicked on a few job emails I subscribe to yet will go back into work tomorrow and do my best for my employer. LJ did no different. People got het up about him appearing at Oakwell the day before he was announced, how do they know he hadn't already resigned or at least let Corney know he was off?

There's no bad taste about any of this, it happens day in day out at other organisations.

Think your wrong saying anyone who critisises corney can do one.

The whole reason we are in this mess on the first place is he and his board chose the wrong appointment on the cheap knowing full well the fans wouldnt back him.

His hand was forced yesterday as it reached boiling point in the main stand and you cant defend the last 2 games.

Throw in the chedgate scandal and the mess with the stand and he is proving himself time and time again to be incompetent.

His board is just as bad.

Think your wrong saying anyone who critisises corney can do one.

The whole reason we are in this mess on the first place is he and his board chose the wrong appointment on the cheap knowing full well the fans wouldnt back him.

His hand was forced yesterday as it reached boiling point in the main stand and you cant defend the last 2 games.

Throw in the chedgate scandal and the mess with the stand and he is proving himself time and time again to be incompetent.

His board is just as bad.

I probably should have qualified my statement by saying, "anyone who criticises Corney for not caring about the club can do one". I definitely think there's a lot of Corney's decisions you can (at the very least) question. He's probably learned the hard way I guess that football isn't like business - :censored: happens out of nowhere that you cannot control, things change with one kick etc.

....And David Dunn had got the job in June, I reckon most of us would be pretty happy/optimistic about his appointment.

Pros: He'll be respected by the players; he knows most of them already to have formed an opinion on them; he'll likely get the best out of Winiesta; he'll know the modern player's mindset; he'll probably have decent contacts; he's worked under some decent managers and hopefully picked up a trick or two.

Cons: He's not some grizzled veteran who's "been around", "knows the game" etc.

Well, I don't want yet another has-been failure or nostalgia choice as the manager of Latics. I just want someone who will inspire the players, play them in the right position and have the team playing entertaining and (ultimately) winning football.

I'm not saying Dunn will be a smash hit, I'm not saying he get us promoted, but....I'm pretty cheered up about this. Hopefully he will get a few results, get the gig full-time and get us up the table. I still believe we have a decent squad that can go for the play-offs AS LONG AS THEY ARE MANAGED RIGHT.

I think we realistically could've done better but looking at Dunn separate to everything else, I can see why we would choose him. Very similar logic to choosing Dickov which wasn't all terrible.

However he's walked into a very difficult job. The running of the club from the top has been awful this calendar year and could get worse, he probably won't get to choose his own assistant, he'll need to ship a few players out before bringing anyone in, the way in which he's got this position hasn't been edifying and won't buy him much sympathy.

The squad has a lot of decent players at this level which is a big plus, but it won't be easy to find a system to fit all our best players in at the same time. This will become even harder if he tries to fit himself in the team regularly as well.

If he gets us mid table I think he'll have done very well, above that will be a fantastic job given the circumstances.

I think we realistically could've done better but looking at Dunn separate to everything else, I can see why we would choose him. Very similar logic to choosing Dickov which wasn't all terrible.

However he's walked into a very difficult job. The running of the club from the top has been awful this calendar year and could get worse, he probably won't get to choose his own assistant, he'll need to ship a few players out before bringing anyone in, the way in which he's got this position hasn't been edifying and won't buy him much sympathy.

The squad has a lot of decent players at this level which is a big plus, but it won't be easy to find a system to fit all our best players in at the same time. This will become even harder if he tries to fit himself in the team regularly as well.

If he gets us mid table I think he'll have done very well, above that will be a fantastic job given the circumstances.

Why would he do very well to get us mid table?

He's clearly been preparing for this since joining, he has had the chance to play with the players - to find first hand how they play - opportunity to mould a relationship with the team, the chance to see first hand trial and error, Kelly gave him a good squad to inherit.

I don't expect anything less than I did from Kelly.

His personality just doesn't strike me as the manager type. Other than the fact he obviously feels he can do it all, he's never struck me as the type (before he came or after) as the type who'd do well a a gaffer. Had a quick look on Blackburn's forum and he's never struck them as the manager type either.

I thought Kelly had to go. If I'd known Dunn was going to be the replacement, I reckon I'd have given him more time.

Why would he do very well to get us mid table?

All the reasons that I put in paragraphs 2 and 3.

The relationship with the team will change with the role he's going into. Managing that change is another challenge he'll have to overcome.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Let's not congratulate the Board over succession planning. In my world succession planning is where you have a stable team and you plan for them leaving over the long term.

It is not having a manager leave not know what to do and appoint a number 2 for the remainder of the season. You then do not trust the number 2 and you appoint a complete unknown over him and after a month realise that you have made a mistake.You then bring in someone that has appeared on the radar but who you are not be able to appoint full time.

It's called crisis management and aren't we building up a wealth of experience at that.

Let's not congratulate the Board over succession planning. In my world succession planning is where you have a stable team and you plan for them leaving over the long term.

It is not having a manager leave not know what to do and appoint a number 2 for the remainder of the season. You then do not trust the number 2 and you appoint a complete unknown over him and after a month realise that you have made a mistake.You then bring in someone that has appeared on the radar but who you are not be able to appoint full time.

It's called crisis management and aren't we building up a wealth of experience at that.

Agreed.

His personality just doesn't strike me as the manager type. Other than the fact he obviously feels he can do it all, he's never struck me as the type (before he came or after) as the type who'd do well a a gaffer. Had a quick look on Blackburn's forum and he's never struck them as the manager type either.

I thought Kelly had to go. If I'd known Dunn was going to be the replacement, I reckon I'd have given him more time.

Some thought that about Joe Royle.

Agree it is crisis management and not formal or planned succession planning. It would be good if we were doing it and if we were there is nothing underhand about it.