Kevin Sinfield

Guest Stanley30

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this is just a common misinterpretation of the word. In professional sporting terms personality means focus, determination, self sacrifice, single mindedness, even selfishness.

Tennis isn't particularly my sport but there is no doubt at all that Andy Murray has all of those facets to his personality and equally no doubt at all that he is in the very top echelon of sportsmen that have ever come from this country.

Personality in this context doesn't mean the bloke who cracks jokes down the pub.

I'm pleased that the BBC dropped its antipathy to the second most popular spectator sport in the country and acknowledged the greatest sportsman of my lifetime and gave AP McCoy a gong.

I suppose its all about personal choice, but McCoy greatest sportsman in your lifetime, what about Ali. Although it is fair to say that McCoys achievements will possibly never be bettered in the world of Horse racing.

Edited by disjointed

Must be one of the only times a British world heavyweight champ didnt get the proper recognition.

Dont get me wrong the guy is a first class prick but he is world champ and all they just wanted to talk about recent 'contraversy' and show ennis's reaction to it

McCoy actually won the award in 2010 and finished third in 2013 as well as his lifetime achievement award last night, so I'd say he has had recognition for his great career.

2010 and 13 were voted for. I don't know who decides on lifetime achievement awards but they are not given on public voting.

I suppose its all about personal choice, but McCoy greatest sportsman in your lifetime, what about Ali. Although it is fair to say that McCoys achievements will possibly never be bettered in the world of Horse racing.

I'm no boxing fan but yes, I would say McCoy's achievements top every other sportsman in my lifetime. Main reasons would obviously be to do with his astounding career and his absolute demolition of available records but also because of his record of complete respect for his sport and his colleagues/opponents. Now that is a proper sporting personality.

Mccoy??? :censored: that :censored:.

Yes, in the world of horse racing, hats off to the lad.

In the world of actual sport? Hmmm.

Not to mention how bent his 'sport' is. Or how cruel it is.

Oh just :censored: off. You clearly know the square root of :censored: all about the subject. Thank you for convincing me once and for all to kick the habit of spending too much time for my own good on this site.

Agree about McCoy, he's basically been sat on the fastest available horses for decades, doesn't take a great amount of skill.

Considering jockeys to be proper sportspeople is similar to formula 1 drivers, their success is significantly weighted on the quality of what they are sat on moreso than their own sporting ability. Yes they are sportspeople but not ones I admire.

The greatest sports people to me are those who have stood out in their field because of an outstanding skill, whether natural or learned, which has contributed to an outstanding achievement. And for me those are in sports where there is an even combination of cognitive skill with physical ability. So whilst there are sports which favour one or the other (e.g. snooker, more cognitively based, and weightlifting, rowing more physical), there are some that combine both more obviously - like football, rugby, boxing, gymnastics, golf, sailing & tennis.

Andy Murray is an astonishingly good sportsperson, I dont like him as much as Novak or Roger, but he deservedly wins this award and I think he has a brilliant personality - those who think "personality" means comedian have it all wrong, personality simply means the specific way that individual people are - Andy Murray has a way that helps him to succeed in being an excellent sportsperson and a great role model. That said if you actually break down the wins he had in the Davis Cup this year they were all pretty easy for him and if Novak and Rafa and Roger/Stan played then GB wouldn't have won.

I would hate to be around Lewis Hamilton for very long - but again his personality helps him win. I cannot think of anyone I would least like to be around than Tyson Fury, I abhor all his views, but again his personality aids in making him the winner he is. If you look back over the last 20 years there have been loads of pretty boring winners. A few years ago Zara Phillips won the award - Given that actually happened I dont think it is an award to be taken seriously.

Agree about McCoy, he's basically been sat on the fastest available horses for decades, doesn't take a great amount of skill.

Considering jockeys to be proper sportspeople is similar to formula 1 drivers, their success is significantly weighted on the quality of what they are sat on moreso than their own sporting ability. Yes they are sportspeople but not ones I admire.

====================

Safe to say you obviously know jack:censored: about horse riding !!!!

Mccoy??? :censored: that :censored:.

Yes, in the world of horse racing, hats off to the lad.

In the world of actual sport? Hmmm.

Not to mention how bent his 'sport' is. Or how cruel it is.

Not often I agree with this man but spot on there Monty - I loath horse racing - whipping an animal for "sport" is right up there with hunting for me - no need for it

The 'the horses wouldnt exist without horse racing' line, to which you allude, is a dubious defence.

Would you agree with breeding humans just to be slaves? They should just enjoy it because they wouldnt exist without it right?

I mean its not like these horses spend 90% of their lives reined (chained) up and 80% of their lives in a small cell?

Born to be caged and chained up?

Jesus Christ, some people on here pretending to be experts on something they clearly know nothing about.

The poster who thinks AP McCoy has just sat on the fastest horses for decades, that's the most stupid thing I've read on here in years, months, weeks, days, minutes.

When he first started out as a jockey he like every other jockey struggled to get rides, but his incredible ability, strength, drive, determination but most of all ability have propelled him to be the greatest NH jockey who has ever lived.

To compare achievements between sports is difficult, as each requires very different skills and abilities.

The one thing you can say is that McCoy is without peer in his sport.

He fully deserved to win the award in 2010 and his lifetime achievement award has never been more deserved by any recipient IMO.

Also the poster who can ride a horse and thinks that is in anyway comparable to McCoy, WTF, I can ride a horse as well, but like myself I very much doubt you have ridden one at 30mph over hurdles and fences, I also drive but don't think I am better than Lewis Hamilton behind a wheel, I can also play football but don't think I am better than Messi.

Likewise, but I can definitely drive to work quicker and safer in my audi than my mrs' vuaxhall, in the same way I would have more success riding a better horse.

Each to their own, but for me its impossible to rate McCoy against his peers because he has had an unfair advantage throughout his career in the same way lewis Hamilton currently has; though I would never doubt either was excellent at what they do.

McCoy didn't by any stretch of the imagination ride all the top horses.

He rode principally for owner JP McManus who is a wealthy and influential owner in NH racing, but not the most influential that would probably be Michael O'Leary (Ryanair owner) or Rich Ricci who both have their horses trained in Ireland by Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott and McCoy rode for neither of them.

So really Ruby Walsh or Bryan Cooper (who ride for those owners and trainers) should be more successful and have been riding more winners than McCoy by that reckoning.

McCoy rode over 4000 winners because he gave every horse the same excellent ride, whether it was a low grade selling hurdle or a top steeplechase at one of the NH festivals.

The sheer volume of winners was testament to his will and determination to win and his willingness to ride all grades and types of horses, and win on many that other jockeys simply wouldn't have won on.

What about Chris Froome, what an acheivement to win the Tour twice, I've drove up and down many of those Cat 1 climbs and it was tough enough in a car.

They are pretty hard on a bike. Especially in the heat that he did it this year (I did some of them in the Alps the same week as the Tour this year. It was bloody hot!!)

I'm a big cycling fan. But like a lot of cycling fans, I just can't warm to Froome. Have a lot of respect for his achievements, especially the considering the stuff he put up with in the Tour this year, but he's just so boring. And he looks horrible on a bike. No style there at all. If Geraint Thomas won the Tour, he would win SPOTY by an absolute mile because he is much more likeable.

Bizarrely, I don't like Froome because he is boring despite me loving cycling, but I do like Andy Murray despite him being boring and me not really caring for tennis either. I don't quite understand that...

On Sinfield, I have a lot of respect for him. Think he has great leadership qualities, and love the way he keeps calm under pressure. Think the nomination was just reward for a brilliant career spent at the top end of his sport. And he's a good solid Oldham lad. Theres a lot to like there.

Surely this is just a common misinterpretation of the word. In professional sporting terms personality means focus, determination, self sacrifice, single mindedness, even selfishness.

Tennis isn't particularly my sport but there is no doubt at all that Andy Murray has all of those facets to his personality and equally no doubt at all that he is in the very top echelon of sportsmen that have ever come from this country.

Personality in this context doesn't mean the bloke who cracks jokes down the pub.

I'm pleased that the BBC dropped its antipathy to the second most popular spectator sport in the country and acknowledged the greatest sportsman of my lifetime and gave AP McCoy a gong.

I think the Queen just bettered it.