sports direct involvement and investment

It struck me the other day with how delayed the new stand has been just what impact this has had on the deal we have with sports direct. Is there any safeguards for them with the shop not being open when they expected?

It's possible their investment was time orientated and reduced the longer completion took, is this or something similar the case?

Also is there any targets in place that we must hit to guarantee a certain level of investment? On sales shirts or sales targets in the shop?

The reason I ask is with the club underperforming so drastically this past year I'm wondering what sports direct make of it all. From the outside it looks like latics have taken the money and then it's business as usual. I'd be surprised if that's the reality tho.

Edited by philliggi

It struck me the other day with how delayed the new stand has been just what impact this has had on the deal we have with sports direct. Is there any safeguards for them with the shop not being open when they expected?

It's possible their investment was time orientated and reduced the longer completion took, is this or something similar the case?

Also is there any targets in place that we must hit to guarantee a certain level of investment? On sales shirts or sales targets in the shop?

The reason I ask is with the club underperforming so drastically this past year I'm wondering what sports direct make of it all. From the outside it looks like latics have taken the money and then it's business as usual. I'd be surprised if that's the reality tho.

Yes.

The reason I ask is with the club underperforming so drastically this past year I'm wondering what sports direct make of it all. From the outside it looks like latics have taken the money and then it's business as usual. I'd be surprised if that's the real

I dunno but Sports Direct are a horrible company, we do seem to do business with unsavory sorts wherever possible though it seems.

Edited by LeylandLatic

My understanding is that on the face of it, the deal was fairly straightforward with SD taking out a 5 year sponsorship deal, reportedly worth in the region of £200k per season. As part of the deal, they got to rename the ground, have primary sponsorship on the front of shirts and took over our merchandising.

Clearly, when that deal was struck, they would have been given an indication as to when the merchandising unit in the new stand would be available for use and we didn't hit that deadline. I don't know whether or not there would have been a clause in the contract regarding that date. I guess a lot depends on whether the contract was broken down into the different aspects or whether it was one sum for the whole package.

I also don't know what the situation is regarding the gym. Was running the gym part of the deal or not?

My understanding is that on the face of it, the deal was fairly straightforward with SD taking out a 5 year sponsorship deal, reportedly worth in the region of £200k per season. As part of the deal, they got to rename the ground, have primary sponsorship on the front of shirts and took over our merchandising.

Clearly, when that deal was struck, they would have been given an indication as to when the merchandising unit in the new stand would be available for use and we didn't hit that deadline. I don't know whether or not there would have been a clause in the contract regarding that date. I guess a lot depends on whether the contract was broken down into the different aspects or whether it was one sum for the whole package.

I also don't know what the situation is regarding the gym. Was running the gym part of the deal or not?

I'm sure it wasn't as straightforward as that. It was reported as 'could be worth six figures'. My assumption is that the six figures therefore is dependent on stretch goals such as promotion, exceeding expectations on merchandise sales, etc. Sports Direct won't be handed over £1m to have their name on the ground for five years and a shop unit; they're a lot cleverer than that.

So in theory then, this "upto" deal could be virtually nothing. Certainly nothing like the million quid that was touted?

Would be interested to know about the gym as well. I honestly don't know if they have owt to do with that

Wasn't the gym more of a community/council thing?

Can I ask what the :censored: anyone gives a :censored: about something they'll never know about and never need to know about?

The club have made an agreement with SD, the club get some money from said agreement. Of course there are contractual terms, just like with any contract.

These :censored:ing threads are doing my head in.

Can I ask what the :censored: anyone gives a :censored: about something they'll never know about and never need to know about?

The club have made an agreement with SD, the club get some money from said agreement. Of course there are contractual terms, just like with any contract.

Well dont effing read them then!

I ask because it is blindingly obvious our :censored:e form on and off the pitch is going to effect the amount of money feeding down to the playing budget. Meaning if the club ain't performing we can expect a reduced playing budget year on year. What goes on off the pitch dictates what happens on it.

If it doesn't interest you don't read it. It's not difficult

I ask because it is blindingly obvious our :censored:e form on and off the pitch is going to effect the amount of money feeding down to the playing budget. Meaning if the club ain't performing we can expect a reduced playing budget year on year. What goes on off the pitch dictates what happens on it.

It's thread after thread of :censored:e.

We already know you hate Corney, his wife, the planes he flies on from New York and his taxi driver from the airport, just getting tedious now.

Do we think much, if any, of that money is going to the playing budget? They are sponsors of the ground; who owns the ground? They have a unit for their shop in the new stand; who owns the stand?

What's left is shirt sponsorship, which probably doesn't equate to much.

Surely it would of been linked to performances, league position, tv appearances etc... So had the potential to be a £1 million but in reality we probably got a fiver....

That was my guess. Along with clicks to web site from references to SportsDirect.com Park.

Hopefully we'll go back to a firm we've never heard of next time so people can be a bit less mental about it...