Corney Speaks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was wrong with his interview?!

To clarify, I haven't actually seen the interview (cancelled my player subscription in a hissy fit!!). I wasn't specifically referring to this statement from SC, more the general comms from the club, or the lack of. It just seems that a lot of poor decisions/statements are made with little understanding (or care) of the impact they have on the club's image, either to the fans, or to the wider public.

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't against a move per se - just not Failsworth. I always preferred a town centre location - like the land where the dilapidated retail park is next to the old railway line running out of Mumps. A town centre location would certainly have attracted more away fans (I`ve lost count of the number of supporters of other clubs who say they don't bother coming to Oldham away anymore because there is nowhere to get a pint and it's a nightmare via public transport). A town centre location would have provided plenty of business for the pubs in town - and fans could have used the tram to Oldham Central to get to the ground. Obviously not going to happen now but BP is 'out on a limb' for sure and, coming from Oldham town centre, you've basically one pub left when there used to be loads to choose from.

always wondered why we haven't looked at the old sainsburys site behind the new baths could fit a 16-20 k stadium on that site .plenty of pubs bars etc nearby excellent for the tram or bus lots of parking on the college and town center carparks .would put the club shop and OEC right in the town center much easier for folk to go shop there get tickets etc

Guest nonaenever

Agree - town centre stadiums offer a lot of advantages - however, I heard on the grapevine many moons ago that Greater Manchester Police would object to any town centre location because of the possibility of hooligans exploiting immigrant areas close by. No idea how true that is/was but I was told it by a pretty reliable source.

Agree - town centre stadiums offer a lot of advantages - however, I heard on the grapevine many moons ago that Greater Manchester Police would object to any town centre location because of the possibility of hooligans exploiting immigrant areas close by. No idea how true that is/was but I was told it by a pretty reliable source.

I think you'll find a lot of those "immigrants" are English born

Guest nonaenever

I didn't comment on where they were born - I was talking about traditional immigrant areas - so no idea what point scoring you are trying - don't drag me into a racism argument - because I`m not one. What do you call them then? i.e. the areas where immigrants tend to settle - "the localities where immigrants and their offspring, who, incidentally were born here areas" - that's a bit long-winded for me - like I said - stop your silly point scoring because it was never intended as anything other than an honest observation

Wow - over reaction gentlemen

No point scoring merely suggesting that these areas aren't immigrant ones

The historical point is I think not valid - I hope we wouldn't use terms from the 70s to describe gay people or those with disabilities

And if the term was used in connection with a town centre ground it must have been - I hope - many years ago

Guest nonaenever

Agree - and I understand the site next to the railway line (think it's called Alexandra retail park or something) - that incorporated the old "curved" railway goods warehouse was considered. However this was the location that, I was told, GMP may have objected to on the basis that hooligans (of any club) may try and stir up trouble in areas settled by " people originally from other parts of the world whose children, nevertheless, have since been born here" (as apparently the simple non-toxic phrase "immigrant areas" is objectionable to some on here).

Personally, I love town/city centre grounds (like Crewe) as the transport infrastructure is so much better, hence easier for travelling supporters and also brings benefit to the local economy. I spend a veritable fortune (as in Bradford yesterday - pretty central) on beer and grabbing a meal after an away game. I never do when the ground is out on a limb - simply because you often struggle to find places to eat/drink whilst having a good mooch around another town/city. York was always the best "back in the day" - fantastic day out.

Guest nonaenever

try asking the away supporters - it's fine if you travel by car - many football fans don't (because they like a drink) and Oldham is possibly one of the most difficult grounds to get to via public transport. Most get a train to Manchester - then have to get a tram to wherever (i.e. not sure which tram stop is best) and a long walk to the ground without a pub to be seen really. Not a great day out - see my comments earlier (I think) re. Preston fans being utterly naffed off when police walked them from BP to King Street tram stop "never again" many of them said.