Corney Speaks!

Doesn't the football club have a 40 year lease?

So the ground, including the land, is owned by the club.

No... This would suggest the land is "leased" surely ?

We own the ground in the same way anybody who has bought an house in a "leasehold" manner owns their house...

Or am I missing something ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a manager with such a :censored:e record as Dunn's - "do nothing wrong" !!!!!!!!!!!!

It just sounded like Corney was trying to toss Dunn a compliment (even though it might have been inaccurate!). No point kicking Dunn while he's down..

How can a manager with such a :censored:e record as Dunn's - "do nothing wrong" !!!!!!!!!!!!

It just sounded like Corney was trying to toss Dunn a compliment (even though it might have been inaccurate!). No point kicking Dunn while he's down..

That's the way I see it.

Was there possibly an element of Dunn having "done nothing wrong" in comparison to the last guy who played a bit fast & loose with the truth in his interview?

No... This would suggest the land is "leased" surely ?

We own the ground in the same way anybody who has bought an house in a "leasehold" manner owns their house...

Or am I missing something ?

You own the buildings on leased land.

I think we have the same understanding.

I've never subscribed to this Corney doesn't give a :censored: thing; sure he's made mistakes (some of them big ones!) and I'm sure with unlimited funds he'd do things differently. But I've always thought he's acted in the best interests of the club as he see's it, and that's his gift. You can see from the opinions on this message board there are a myriad of opinions on how things should be done for the best.

He's also stuck with the club longer than more than a few people who post on here now!

Newport fans have been completely left in the dark in the last couple of days, barring a couple of statements not saying much. Most didn't realise feeney would take over, until reading articles online from beeb or sky. Think it's just a general thing amongst football league clubs to have poor communication with it's fans. Good to see corney admit to his and boards mistakes again, hopefully it's the last time. KTF

I've never subscribed to this Corney doesn't give a :censored: thing; sure he's made mistakes (some of them big ones!) and I'm sure with unlimited funds he'd do things differently. But I've always thought he's acted in the best interests of the club as he see's it, and that's his gift. You can see from the opinions on this message board there are a myriad of opinions on how things should be done for the best.

He's also stuck with the club longer than more than a few people who post on here now!

If I was being paid I would stick around more :)

(I presume he takes a salary?)

Guest nonaenever

I`ve only ever met him in person once - and that was when there was a fans' forum at South Chadderton school when we were planning to move to Failsworth. He came across as a very genuine, intelligent and sincere fella. One of the problems, in my view, is that he has been surrounded by sycophants, many of whom have little "Latics history". I remember speaking at the forum and trying to get across how Failsworth was effectively "Manchester" to most Latics fans and it was a dangerous gamble to move there in my view. The female consultant present on the day just didn't get it - and therein lies the problem. Simon Corney is no fool at all - quite the opposite - but he would benefit from a true fan being on the board who would be willing to give him a sensible but honest view occasionally - NOT surround himself with 'yes' men (which is the perception). Thankfully, we never went to Manchester.

Guest nonaenever

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't against a move per se - just not Failsworth. I always preferred a town centre location - like the land where the dilapidated retail park is next to the old railway line running out of Mumps. A town centre location would certainly have attracted more away fans (I`ve lost count of the number of supporters of other clubs who say they don't bother coming to Oldham away anymore because there is nowhere to get a pint and it's a nightmare via public transport). A town centre location would have provided plenty of business for the pubs in town - and fans could have used the tram to Oldham Central to get to the ground. Obviously not going to happen now but BP is 'out on a limb' for sure and, coming from Oldham town centre, you've basically one pub left when there used to be loads to choose from.

Whih pubs do away fans go round BP these days?

Are there any which are notorious for away fans like the Bradford Arms or that one in Crewe to us?

Grey Mare mainly. Also The Greyhound, Clayton Green, Rifle Range, White Hart. A lot go into town for the Ashton Arms and the Squire Knott & Up Steps...

Guest nonaenever

I go in town centre for a few before every home game - can't say I`ve seen any away fans drinking in town before a game for ages (other than Preston who were in the Snipe) - there were a couple of Millwall fans in the Up Steps AFTER the game but said they drank in Rochdale beforehand. At one time you could sup in The Westwood, Elevenways, Westbourne, Spinners, Horton Arms, Brook Tavern, Queens, Royal, Spotted Cow etc etc. on way from town to BP - all now shut and curry houses or sari shops etc. Basically just the Trap Inn hanging on - and that's it coming from the Oldham side.

I spoke to a large group of Bradford fans in Rochdale one Sat and they commented that the reason they didn't come to Oldham anymore was a) no pubs they could find easily on the main drag and B) a nightmare to get to via public transport - they all liked a drink so none drove. It's an interesting perspective - walk up Sheepfoot Lane and turn right and it's just lifeless pub wise until you reach Trap Inn about a mile away - and that's your lot. They haven't got local knowledge to head to Royton. I remember Preston fans going bonkers because police walked them to the tram stop on King Street to get back to Manchester - they were all completely shattered and said "never again". Makes you wonder how many hundreds or thousands (?) of away fans this costs us over a season - all money lost.

I go in town centre for a few before every home game - can't say I`ve seen any away fans drinking in town before a game for ages (other than Preston who were in the Snipe) - there were a couple of Millwall fans in the Up Steps AFTER the game but said they drank in Rochdale beforehand. At one time you could sup in The Westwood, Elevenways, Westbourne, Spinners, Horton Arms, Brook Tavern, Queens, Royal, Spotted Cow etc etc. on way from town to BP - all now shut and curry houses or sari shops etc. Basically just the Trap Inn hanging on - and that's it coming from the Oldham side.

I spoke to a large group of Bradford fans in Rochdale one Sat and they commented that the reason they didn't come to Oldham anymore was a) no pubs they could find easily on the main drag and B) a nightmare to get to via public transport - they all liked a drink so none drove. It's an interesting perspective - walk up Sheepfoot Lane and turn right and it's just lifeless pub wise until you reach Trap Inn about a mile away - and that's your lot. They haven't got local knowledge to head to Royton. I remember Preston fans going bonkers because police walked them to the tram stop on King Street to get back to Manchester - they were all completely shattered and said "never again". Makes you wonder how many hundreds or thousands (?) of away fans this costs us over a season - all money lost.

They'll be reet when they get the Internet

i'd rather he take more control. i actually think he's the only one who knows what he's doing, but he has delegated responsibility to people of limited ability.

Either that, or appoint someone who also knows what he's doing.

Very true. He's on his way back to New York again now and leaving others to help Shez bring in new players. At one time, he would have been doing everything he could possibly do to encourage players to come here.