Peterborough vs Oldham

I think Shez is probably aware that the goalkeeper situation is far from ideal - but I also think that he is working to limits in terms of budgets and number of loans we can have, and has decided that it was more beneficial to bring in defender/midfielder/forwards than replacing the keeper.

Having seen the impact of the 4 new players, I think he is right.

That being said, you then back the player in public and behind the scenes with total conviction. You have him for the foreseeable, therefore do everything you can to boost his confidence and performances.

That being said, Tuesday was a clanger IMO. Thankfully one that didn't cost us any points.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the mistakes he makes are mainly down to poor positioning of his feet - he is often caught on his heels with crosses which contributes to the mistakes. Work on that and he will cut out many of the howlers.

He has a lot going for him agility wise, but the number of balls which bounce off his chest and decision making are a a worry, I'd have thought intensive coaching would have remedied these faults. Today's coaching methods seems all about shot stopping rather than catching the ball.

Edited by BP1960

He has a lot going for him agility wise, but the number of balls which bounce off his chest and decision making are a a worry, I'd have thought intensive coaching would have remedied these faults. Today's coaching methods seems all about shot stopping rather than catching the ball.

It may be something to do with the way the modern football seems to move in flight. Definitely seems that the majority of keepers either punch or push away/over shots that come straight at the goal.

It may be something to do with the way the modern football seems to move in flight. Definitely seems that the majority of keepers either punch or push away/over shots that come straight at the goal.

The ball has changed significantly over the years to make it harder for goalies.

It swerves and dips all over the place which puts so much uncertainty in their minds.

It's probably got to the point where even if they felt they could catch ok the doubt always tell them to punch , only problem these days that a lot of goalies haven't learnt the art of punching it away in the right direction , a lot push it straight back out !!!!!

The ball has changed significantly over the years to make it harder for goalies.

It swerves and dips all over the place which puts so much uncertainty in their minds.

It's probably got to the point where even if they felt they could catch ok the doubt always tell them to punch , only problem these days that a lot of goalies haven't learnt the art of punching it away in the right direction , a lot push it straight back out !!!!!

Why has the ball been changed to a lighter balloon like one, anyone know the reasoning behind it?

Why has the ball been changed to a lighter balloon like one, anyone know the reasoning behind it?

Moves faster

More goals

Less brain damage

Sharper passes

Quicker to produce

Less expensive to produce

Better free kicks

More skills

Pisses off old codgers

Doesnt get heavier in the rain

Dont need dockers steelies on to kick it

Every world cup the ball changes , the powers that be want to see more goals so they like a ball that swerves and dips.

Some players like Ronaldo have mastered the art of taking free kicks with it to great effect.

Every world cup the ball changes , the powers that be want to see more goals so they like a ball that swerves and dips.

Some players like Ronaldo have mastered the art of taking free kicks with it to great effect.

We had plenty of great goals in the 1970s without these beach balls, bring back the ball used then.

Mind you, I blame the keepers back then. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

I don't think Coleman made an error for their goal.

I think it's his fault, but I don't think it's that bad a mistake really. And certainly nowhere near as bad as the Peterborough mistakes that led to both of our goals.

When I first saw it I was expecting a Cornell style howler. And then when I saw it my reaction was pretty much "oh, is that it?"

He's not the best keeper around by any stretch, but he's not terrible. A young lad with a lot of potential. Some of the criticism of him is baffling. Especially when you consider the alternative waiting on the bench...

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Yeah but what else?

Fun for dogs to play with and pop.

Attach string and it can be used as a kite.

Useful as a weather balloon.

Can be used as a beach ball.

Bare feet can be used (as long as toe nails are cut).

Edited by BP1960

We had plenty of great goals in the 1970s without these beach balls, bring back the ball used then.

Mind you, I blame the keepers back then. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-2ReAgclI

Wonderful stuff that! Some brilliant kits back then too - special mention (where is he?) to the Everton Amber and blue away effort at Coventry - even better than Ernie Hunt's donkey kick.